Overpriced LD340

-
I'm sure if the piece has no gouges/flaws, the holes & threads are all spectacular, then add the powder-coating Leanna might give perspective on the $$$ for such
@CudaChick1968 it may fit the bill for a resto....but I still think that's 3 bills over the top at that.

There's really no such thing as cast aluminum with "no gouges/flaws." Every piece could use at least some clean up in my view.

As to the LD-340 in the ad, it's actually really tough to tell whether it was a beautifully done powder coating job or not because the pictures were taken from at least 3-4 feet away and there is no zoom option.

I don't typically share customers' invoices with the general public but in this case, I will. This particular gentleman was rare in that he changed his mind on the color after it was done (too many chiefs involved in the build and only one indian, me LOL) so some of the breakdown may be confusing. It WILL show you what is typically involved in restoring an LD-340 when it's on my bench though. I apologize in advance for the layout -- my Word program I use for my invoices doesn't converse well with Joey's website so the tab key isn't uniform but the numbers are spot on. One final disclaimer is that my hourly rate is now $35 rather than $30.

Labor: Outgassing (no charge) 3.00 hrs.
Inspection / disassembly: 0.30 hrs.
Blasting / stripping: 1.30 hrs.
Metal repairs/deburring: 1.40 hrs.
Prep cleaning (parts): 0.40 hrs.
Prep cleaning (shop equipment): 0.90 hrs.
Masking / unmasking: 1.65 hrs.
Powder coating: 0.60 hrs.
Misc. [fab/mods for plenum wall plug]: 0.30 hrs.

Labor Subtotal 6.85 hours @ $30.00/hr. = $205.50

Rework ~ Color Change to “Alien Silver” with “Sea Water Teal” lettering

Labor:
Metal Prep (scuff for adhesion): 0.75 hrs.
Prep cleaning (shop equipment): 0.80 hrs.
Prep cleaning (parts): 0.35 hrs.
Masking / unmasking: 1.80 hrs.
Powder coating: 0.50 hrs.
Wrap for shipment: 0.70 hrs.
Labor Subtotal 4.90 hours @ $30.00/hr. = $147.00

Labor Total: $352.50
Less U.S. Military Labor Discount (15%) - $ 52.88
$299.62

I can just hear ya'll now. "Holy crap, powder coating is EXPENSIVE!" Maybe you think so and maybe you don't. But when you figure in almost constant clean up on a driven motor with its occasional (or continuing) gasket replacements, the hours you spend with an old toothbrush trying to get the fuel spill discoloration out (only to have it come back again and again), the gallons of Purple Power that go with it, and missing out on all that driving time ... a lot of people actually decide it's really worth it.

Eddie Rivera 002.JPG

Larry Kelso, Juan Luis Felipe, Eddie Rivera 025.JPG

056.JPG

008.JPG
n awful lot

Last edited:
I thought the math was wrong at first, but what he means is he (YY1) would discount the asking price by $10 and only collect $140 (profit $65 instead of the projecte $75). In other words, not quite double his money.

gotcha
that makes sense, i guess

sure..that price is high.
Performance wise, the stock cast iron piece is probably about as good as an LD340 or even the latest flavour of the month for stock or slightly modified 340's.
But it is a nice nostalgic touch, and there are a lot of guys in this hobby where money is no object.I know a few guys with 6 or more hi end cars.

sure..that price is high.
Performance wise, the stock cast iron piece is probably about as good as an LD340 or even the latest flavour of the month for stock or slightly modified 340's.
But it is a nice nostalgic touch, and there are a lot of guys in this hobby where money is no object.I know a few guys with 6 or more hi end cars.

I understand the nostalgia deal.

But the people that put them on almost always have other blaring obvious non vintage items like: new MSD, edelbrock carb, electric fan, GM style booster/master, aluminum radiator...

People are so inconsistent with thier cars.

I understand the nostalgia deal.

But the people that put them on almost always have other blaring obvious non vintage items like: new MSD, edelbrock carb, electric fan, GM style booster/master, aluminum radiator...

People are so inconsistent with thier cars.

i couldn't agree more but bling is also a big part of the hobby.The bad is that some of the bling
is a step backwards for performance and quality.

And i always thought H E M I were the four most expensive letters in the English language, when it comes to car parts.
Guess not, by the price of this 340 intake.

I can see $500 with the powdercoat but not $900. The guy is just fishing for that uneducated buyer.

I can see $500 with the powdercoat but not $900. The guy is just fishing for that uneducated buyer.
Or the enthusiast who just wants one already done and doesn't care about the price. There are plenty of people out there who will pay more just so they don't have to spend the time buying an unfinished one and sending it out for powder coating.

There are people who's time is worth much more that the extra cost of that intake.

From roaming around on classracer, supposedly, this intake has been approved for stock eliminator. Bunch of guys trying to snap them up. Supply and demand.

I knew somebody on here had dealt with him directly. I had forgotten it was you! He's done me dead right on everything I ever got from him. Even threw some extra stuff in once. Never had a problem with him.

That intake has been powder coated real nice, too. How much does that cost? Add that to the intake price and he's not far off.

Yep, that was me! He's given me parts for free a couple of times. Good dude. I choose not to buy some of his stuff due to the price but Ive followed his past auctions before and people eventually do buy his stuff.
Don't like his prices? Don't buy it. It's optional. Nothing wrong with what he's doing.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:..wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy over-priced :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:..

If it's the same one he bought of me a couple years ago,then it was powder coated by Leanna...maybe that's why he thinks it's worth that.:D

-
Back