p4452893, Standard or W5 intake

-

scamp 408

Reaction score
contact ryanj at shady dell he is the w5 master and might even buy it,and for the victor let me know I could even come to $200. plus shipping.

I did think about contacting Ryan. I should if it doesn't sell.

p4452893 intake on 340 with j heads
may be i copied the number wrong
but this is what's on my engine

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Thanks, I have been posting about this intakes numbers for a long time without result! Where have you been (LOL, All my life?!?!) with this info/picture?

I was also given a "Tip" on this from another member that I await his permission of a copy and paste of his PM to me.

I have seen in the past, M1 intakes with smaller than gasket sized ports. This leed me to think it was for a W5 intake.

The number is correct.

Heres the PM from Demon 408 that he OK'd for me to post up. Thanks dude!

Rumble,

Don't take this the wrong way, only trying to help. I have that same exact intake, same part number (P4452893), but the bolt holes on mine are in the correct location for a standard head. The intake was on my 1991 Super Commando Crate Motor (360 with 308 heads). My belief is that this was an early M1 intake and they must have drilled the bolt holes for different types of heads. My Super Commando (380hp version) used the LA block had other unique items. For example, the pistons were early KB Silvolites (PN#509) I called KB (talk to an engineer, not a sales guy) and he said they had no record of that part number. When I told him what they were in his comment was that Crysler often put one off parts in the early crate motors, like the pistons.

Well, that's two members with interesting info for sure.

My intake has wide bolt spacing and theres both have a narrow, AKA standard bolt spacing. It seems that MP had them drilled per intended head use.
Hummmmmmmmmm

You know it.

2 good fellas here. Thanks guys.

Did some more research on the intake manifold.... casting number 4452893

From what I have been able to determine this manifold is an early casting M1 manifold (center thermostat location)for standard port heads and was probably sold under part number P4452891.

The later version of this manifold, with the Magnum thermostat location, was sold under the same part number but had a casting number of 4452892.

Why the this particular manifold has the W2/W5 spacing is another question but it surely appears that the manifold wasn't welded and redrilled for the wider spacing so it was probably factory drilled.

Why .... Maybe just another factory error?

I doubt factory error, but also would not put it past them to make mistakes, but an error that has a wide bolt spacing that magically fits a W5?

just went out in the garage and looked...

the two LA standard head bolt pattern heads have the 893 casting....and the brand new in the box W5 intake has the 893 casting...

so you can not just go my the casting number..the intakes appear identical except for the bolt pattern...

same casting ...different part numbers...
but the part numbers are not on the intake only the casting...

first intake is seting on set of eddy heads...standard LA gasket lines up..

second intake is new in box for w5 heads...

alll have the same casting number...

100_2909.jpg

100_2911.jpg

So we have purposely drilled bolt pattern intakes with the same casting numbers.
So much for mistakes!

Now, can you find the casting number of my ntake in a book?

you can see the intake on bottom has wider w5 intake bolt pattern...w5 box with part number on it...

008.jpg

009.jpg

007.jpg

just remember...it is a casting number....not a part number on the intake..

same casting number two different part numbers...

I thought i was crazy too.....

alot like the TA heads...same casting number as J head...but different part number because of the machining of the intake offset pushrods...

so your have a small runner w5 intake...and this would be the part number.

007.jpg

so this leads to another question...if you have a standard LA intake manifold...just as a Victor...or Air Gap...can it just be redrilled to fit a W5 head...???

since that appears to be the only difference...and the w5 take a spacer at the end of the block..

so this leads to another question...if you have a standard LA intake manifold...just as a Victor...or Air Gap...can it just be redrilled to fit a W5 head...???

since that appears to be the only difference...and the w5 take a spacer at the end of the block..

You are correct, you just need to weld up the bolt hole and redrill. It's best to weld it up. A large runner W5 may have the intakes ports wider than the bolt spacing of a standard head, I'm not sure.

Are you sure the "460" is a W5.
I think the Large runner takes a spacer. I'm not to sure about these little in and outs to be hoinest with ya.

Name of thread changed to suite topic better.

that is the box that the intake came in ...about 10 yrs ago when i bought the w5 heads and intake from mancini....

answer is that the w5 intake will not sit down on the LA heads, the intake is cut to fit the raised w5 intake ports...

Learn something new every day. I guess this is Ma Mopar at her best, one manifold casting and two different applications.

Looked in the Mopar Performance Parts 2000 catalog and sure enough P4529460 is listed as a small runner W5 intake.

-
Back