Packard 56 Terminals?

-

coalman

Reaction score
I seen this once before on this Forum, what is the difference between the GM type 56 and Chrysler's? Thanks

The females Chrysler terminals have rolled sides while the Packard 56 have a leaf spring.

Terminals in the connector reverse light switch on my '67
upload_2020-5-12_17-48-3-png.png

A slightly different version on the right below - I think from the headlight switch connector.
Some currently available alternatives that are similar to the orignal Chrysler terminals shown below.
upload_2020-5-10_11-43-4-png.png

upload_2020-5-10_11-45-54-png.png

Packard 56 style. This is from the heater fan switch connector on my '67.
So Chrysler did use this style, at least occassionally.
upload_2020-5-12_17-55-10-png.png

upload_2020-5-12_17-56-7-png.png

One issue is that the plastic connector housings don't always interchange well between the two styles.

Sources for Chrysler type wire terminals

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for your response, the males I guess are all the same. Thanks a bunch!

Wow! Thanks for your response, the males I guess are all the same. Thanks a bunch!
Yes. They seem to be.
Although when I've bought them, I've noticed small differences in length or how they are notched.
I know I took some photos recently. lemme see if I can find some.

Here's one I bought that was made by Packard
upload_2020-9-3_9-51-36.png

The ones below were also made by Packard but are longer and have a D-shaped hole. They are on a repop engine harness made by M&H that I bought from Year One.
upload_2020-9-3_9-55-23.png

Very similar to these originals in my '67 other than the PED stamp.
upload_2020-9-3_10-4-24.png

Here's an original one from a fuel sending unit next to the tinned one I bought (with the small round hole). You can see what I bought is shorter than the original. The original also has a step on both sides.
upload_2020-9-3_10-8-25.png

I have not figured out the part numbers or sources to get the more correct ones. But the ones on some repop harnesses are pretty close so they must be available.

Last edited:
I bought some female ones from an independent auto parts store from there open large selection box, brand unknown. I found I did have to shorten the 'tang' to allow them to clip into the connector. This was the flasher connector on my '64 valiant.

I bought some female ones from an independent auto parts store from there open large selection box, brand unknown. I found I did have to shorten the 'tang' to allow them to clip into the connector. This was the flasher connector on my '64 valiant.

Thanks.

I found some of these that might work at CORSA TECHNIC , terminal 250.HL-SKT, various manufactures including Yazaki. Going to contact them Monday. Thanks

My most recent purchase was the Packard 58s from Mouser.
Packard was absorbed by Delphi and now APTIV
Sources for Chrysler type wire terminals

One pain in the but with Mouser is the listing is metricified. That's why a little table with p/n and gage sizes further down in thread.

Here is what it looks like. Thanks for all the replies...

250_HL-SKT.jpg

Does anyone know the size/type/name of the terminals that populate the headlight connectors of a 72 Dart/A-body? they each hold two wires and are larger than standard terminals. Also, if you have a link to purchase, even better!

IIRC they are 5/16" wide instead of 1/4" and may be silver plated.
upload_2020-9-7_21-25-59.png

If you follow the links in the Chrysler terminal thread you can find some possible substitutes.
I bought some unplated ones from Eastern Beaver just to have some that size on hand.
If you change the terminal housing, then you'll want to use what works best with the new housing.
I believe Packard 59 series are 5/16 wide versions of the 56 design, but haven't bought any.

Are female GM and Chrysler Packard 56 interchangeable in most cases? Thanks

Does anyone know the size/type/name of the terminals that populate the headlight connectors of a 72 Dart/A-body? they each hold two wires and are larger than standard terminals. Also, if you have a link to purchase, even better!
if you are still looking for the correct connectors and headlight plastic reciever you can get them at american autowire Sealed Beam Headlight Connector- 3 Way
the connectors are series 59

-
Back