Paint code “Unknown at this time “

-

Bennyq

Reaction score
I am trying to find my paint code. When I decoded the tag, it came up unknown at this time. Paint code is JF8. Here is the tag and the decode. I suspect it is F8 Dark Green poly. Just would like confirmation. Thanks

IMG_1350.png

IMG_1286.jpeg

What year is the car? Some paint codes have a letter preceding the letter and number on the tag. It corresponds to the year of the paint code. My 1970 Swinger has B5 on the tag, but EB5 on some of the old paint codes, E for 1970 B5 blue. I've been told that B5 blue is slightly different for each year it was availible.

What year is the car? Some paint codes have a letter preceding the letter and number on the tag. It corresponds to the year of the paint code. My 1970 Swinger has B5 on the tag, but EB5 on some of the old paint codes, E for 1970 B5 blue. I've been told that B5 blue is slightly different for each year it was availible.

Hamtrack Historical website list JF8 as EF8 as 1970 F8, and as JF8 for F8 in 1973. Pictures are there, too.

F8 one of the most common Mopar colors ever.

Who ever wrote the code for that decoder....

Has anyone tried the new F8 from 2018 ,I think, I just need to touch up under the master cylinder.
No idea. I was just going by F is 1970, G is 71, H is 72, they skipped I as it could be taken as a 1 so J is '73 ! Why not just get the correct F8. 2018 isn't bound to be it...

Last edited:
The first letter of the paint code is the year the formula was first mixed so J would be 1973 and would be different from other year F8 formula's.

The first letter tells you the year the color was first used.... J is 1973

D = 1968
E = 1969
F = 1970
G = 1971
H = 1972 I is not used
J = 1973

Second letter is the basic color

F = Green
B = Blue
Y = Yellow
X = Black

The third letter is shade

1 is very light
3 is medium light is medium
5 is medium
7 is medium dark
9 is super dark IE TX9 is black

My understanding of the two letters is monotone or different letters or numbers is a different color on the roof vs the body.

My 67 Dart is DD1 the car is all one color (technically it has to be cause it's a convert)

Screenshot_20240221-203506.png

Perhaps it changed over the years?

No idea. I was just going by F is 1970, G is 71, H is 72, they skipped I as it could be taken as a 1 so J is '73 ! Why not just get the correct F8. 2018 isn't bound to be it...
I will try the automotive paint store around me again. But the chip they showed me didn’t look right. Wondering if it was the newer color they showed me? Thanks

My understanding of the two letters is monotone or different letters or numbers is a different color on the roof vs the body.

My 67 Dart is DD1 the car is all one color (technically it has to be cause it's a convert)

View attachment 1716210578

I believe that changed from single or two tone to year and shade for the 1969 model year.

'69 and later had two separate "XYN" codes for top and bottom of car, plus a "Vnx" code for a vinyl top if so equipped.

[/URL]

The first letter tells you the year the color was first used.... J is 1973

D = 1968
E = 1969
F = 1970
G = 1971
H = 1972 I is not used
J = 1973

Second letter is the basic color

F = Green
B = Blue
Y = Yellow
X = Black

The third letter is shade

1 is very light
3 is medium light is medium
5 is medium
7 is medium dark
9 is super dark IE TX9 is black
This is correct. Some colours carried over. For example. FY1 Top Banana yellow came out in 1970, therefore F, for 1970, Y for yellow, 1 for light, and this color was available for a few years following, so the code did not change. B5 blue though, did change over the years, so the prefix changed. 1969-1970 EB5 is not the same color or formula as 1971 GB5. 1969 EF8 is not the same color or mix as 1973 JF8

Agree with above. Butterscotch came out in 69 as code 96 or 99, as a new late year color.
It disappeared for 1970, but when it came back in wide use in 71, it was EL5, , E, because it was an unchanged color from 69.
So... your 1973 F8 green will be different from earlier (or later) versions of F8.

View attachment 1716210578

Chrysler changed their paint code system in 1969. Your DD-1 code is the method Chrysler last used in 1968

Chrysler changed their paint code system in 1969. Your DD-1 code is the method Chrysler last used in 1968
Yup, maybe I should have covered that too... But we are dealing with a 73 vintage car... Maybe I needed to start with Genesis..:lol:

needed to start with Genesis
In the beginning there was black and it was good.

Then black was split into black and white. And it was also good. Although you did not want to see that in your rear view mirror.

Then came cream, light blue and what we know today as "institutional green".

-
Back