Paint Color Opinions?

-
Actually what I found out just reading is that petty blue should have a 999 special order paint code.
So b3 is only super blue or basin street blue

When I painted my Cuda, years back, the paint store chose the color for me. I had done all the rubbing I wanted to do and went to get the Lemon Twist paint, I thought would look best. Paint place didn’t have the tint base required so, Viper Dandelion became the color, solely from availability.

Should be B3. Also known as “petty blue”. And usually it looks a lot lighter than the color in the OP’s original picture

View attachment 1715838595
Any Petty Blue paint I have seen always looks to be a lot lighter color than Basin Blue or Blue Streak to me. Mine is definitely B3. See the photo of my fender tag.

IMG_1473.jpg

I tend to agree with most of the previous posts, Petty Blue suits the car or B3 either way. But in the end it is your car, paint it the color that makes you grin like a monkey every time you see the car. Best paint test on the planet is walk into the garage with the lights off, turn the lights on and look at your car. If you bust out into a huge smile you painted it the right color.

I tend to agree with most of the previous posts, Petty Blue suits the car or B3 either way. But in the end it is your car, paint it the color that makes you grin like a monkey every time you see the car. Best paint test on the planet is walk into the garage with the lights off, turn the lights on and look at your car. If you bust out into a huge smile you painted it the right color.

bob and sublime.jpg

Hello everyone. I am trying to decide if I should keep my 1972 Demon 340 the original color, which was "Blue Streak" or something else? It is at the body shop right now. When I first started this project i was going to stay with the original color as we thought that we would be able to just sand the car down and shoot it. That idea was quickly shot down when the stripes were being removed as the paint just lifted right up with the stripes?? The person who had the car before me did not get a quality paint job, it was a "50 footer" at best! When that happened the decision was made to strip all the paint off. I started thinking do I really want to stick with the original color?View attachment 1715838403 even though I am not a huge fan of this shade of blue. The question now is, what would you do if you found yourself in this position? It has white stripes, white and black interior with the snorkel hood and is a four speed.

Let me know your thoughts?
keep the original color

Tag sure says its b3, but the paint on it looks like petty blue, two way different shades in my experience. I would likely paint it the correct b3, but I would get a pint made up (or less), shoot a card and see if you like it. If not, paint it what you like.
I have bought a few cars in spite of the color,.....and came to like all of them as they were, except for the BLACK ones. I will NEVER own a black car again.

Tag sure says its b3, but the paint on it looks like petty blue, two way different shades in my experience. I would likely paint it the correct b3, but I would get a pint made up (or less), shoot a card and see if you like it. If not, paint it what you like.
I have bought a few cars in spite of the color,.....and came to like all of them as they were, except for the BLACK ones. I will NEVER own a black car again.
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it all.

The problem in looking on the internet is that B3 paint was not always the same color. B3 for 1972 and 1973 isn't the same as color as B3 in 1970.

For example, 1970 B3 was actually a poly color, meaning it had metallic in it
1970-dodge-pc.jpg

For '72 it was not
1972-dodge-pc.jpg

And then even if you look at different paint chips for different paint manufacturers, you get a difference. Yeah, I understand that having a real paint chip in your hand and looking at an image on the internet are two different things. But Basin Street Blue (plymouth), Blue Streak (Dodge) and Super Blue (Chrysler) are all the same color code for '72. But if you look at this chip chart vs the one above, those aren't the same color.
23-02-72C page2.jpg

Perhaps the "Petty Blue" reference was a mistake on my part, but there is a ton of speculation around that and quite frankly a lot of people use "petty blue" interchangeably with B3 for 1972 and 1973. My '72 Challenger was originally B3, and it's original paint is much lighter than what appears in the OP's first picture. There are several discussions about it here, like this one

paint code for petty blue

The problem in looking on the internet is that B3 paint was not always the same color. B3 for 1972 and 1973 isn't the same as color as B3 in 1970.

For example, 1970 B3 was actually a poly color, meaning it had metallic in it
View attachment 1715838779

For '72 it was not
View attachment 1715838778

And then even if you look at different paint chips for different paint manufacturers, you get a difference. Yeah, I understand that having a real paint chip in your hand and looking at an image on the internet are two different things. But Basin Street Blue (plymouth), Blue Streak (Dodge) and Super Blue (Chrysler) are all the same color code for '72. But if you look at this chip chart vs the one above, those aren't the same color.
View attachment 1715838781

Perhaps the "Petty Blue" reference was a mistake on my part, but there is a ton of speculation around that and quite frankly a lot of people use "petty blue" interchangeably with B3 for 1972 and 1973. My '72 Challenger was originally B3, and it's original paint is much lighter than what appears in the OP's first picture. There are several discussions about it here, like this one

paint code for petty blue
Thanks for sending the paint charts, nothing is easy when your dealing with 50 year old cars is it.

I agree with 72blu, my concept of b3 is his pictured challenger, kind of a metallic sky blue. But looking at paint chips, the 72 b3 looks a lot more like what you have on the car now, what I would call Petty blue. And you are right, 50 year old paint matching, with modern paint formulas and bc/cc aint easy!

I have used TCP Global for many years. Hearsay is old PPG formulas. Dunno. I have always had good luck with their topcoat and their Color Library in single stage.
I have also had good luck with local PPG store, almost always single stage. Few months ago I had 62 Ply white mixed and the mixer said "NO way this will be right." Went by the formula. "Way too muck black it will be pretty much grey" Yep I got a free gal of grey! Then used the seat of pants and next gal spot on! lol
My first time to use bc/c was bout 91 or 2? B5. DuPont. It just was not right. Close but not right.
Single stage for me. Plenty durable and it can be amazing if done right.

I have used TCP Global for many years. Hearsay is old PPG formulas. Dunno. I have always had good luck with their topcoat and their Color Library in single stage.
I have also had good luck with local PPG store, almost always single stage. Few months ago I had 62 Ply white mixed and the mixer said "NO way this will be right." Went by the formula. "Way too muck black it will be pretty much grey" Yep I got a free gal of grey! Then used the seat of pants and next gal spot on! lol
My first time to use bc/c was bout 91 or 2? B5. DuPont. It just was not right. Close but not right.
Great information, thanks for sharing it with me!

Pardon my ignorance here but what is bc/c?

I agree with 72blu, my concept of b3 is his pictured challenger, kind of a metallic sky blue. But looking at paint chips, the 72 b3 looks a lot more like what you have on the car now, what I would call Petty blue. And you are right, 50 year old paint matching, with modern paint formulas and bc/cc aint easy!

Exactly! In the picture my Challenger is actually painted B5. It’s not correct for that either, it was a cheap job applied by a previous owner. The original paint, where it was visible, is basically the same color as the Duster I posted earlier.

Basecoat (color), Clearcoat (clear that goes on top). 2 steps to spray on the finish.

Here's some of the original paint on the floorboard of my Challenger. 1972 B3
IMG_3008.jpeg

Also, you can try these guys for accurate original paint colors. They can be kind of hard to get ahold of, but they were great once I actually talked with somebody.

Kolor Korrect-Your Source For Classic Car Paint

I'd have to see them all parked side by side, but I remember AMC big bad blue, Fords grabber blue, and Petty blue (by whatever Mopar name) all looked the same to me.

I'd have to see them all parked side by side, but I remember AMC big bad blue, Fords grabber blue, and Petty blue (by whatever Mopar name) all looked the same to me.

1972/1973 B3 blue is very much similar in color as Ford Grabber blue and AMC Big Bad blue. I'm sure they're probably slightly different in formula, but if you look at the picture of the floorboard of my Challenger you can see that's about the color. Non metallic light blue. It is also pretty much the same as all of the "Petty" blue cars I've seen in person, but as I corrected myself earlier "petty" blue means different things to different people, Petty enterprises supposedly has a copyright on it so the guys that do Petty car clones apparently go to them. And unless I've missed something, you won't find a factory paint chip called Petty blue.

80958_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

1970-AMX-AMX-Front.jpg

01-1558554289962@2x.jpg

When I painted my Cuda, years back, the paint store chose the color for me. I had done all the rubbing I wanted to do and went to get the Lemon Twist paint, I thought would look best. Paint place didn’t have the tint base required so, Viper Dandelion became the color, solely from availability.
And I would bet it looks awesome!
Basecoat (color), Clearcoat (clear that goes on top). 2 steps to spray on the finish.
Thank you. My body man said that he will shoot 2 to 3 coats of color and then 3 to 4 coats of clear. Can't wait to see her all done!

Sorry about my old stiff fingers and no proof reading. Like he said, bc/cc is base coat clear coat. Some call it two stage.
I still say B3 is a silvery blue, yes lighter than B5. Like someone said B5 is not exactly the exact same year to year maybe.
As the story goes, Petty came up with Petty Blue some say, by mixing a can of some sort of Ford blue and white.

Hello everyone. I am trying to decide if I should keep my 1972 Demon 340 the original color, which was "Blue Streak" or something else? It is at the body shop right now. When I first started this project i was going to stay with the original color as we thought that we would be able to just sand the car down and shoot it. That idea was quickly shot down when the stripes were being removed as the paint just lifted right up with the stripes?? The person who had the car before me did not get a quality paint job, it was a "50 footer" at best! When that happened the decision was made to strip all the paint off. I started thinking do I really want to stick with the original color?View attachment 1715838403 even though I am not a huge fan of this shade of blue. The question now is, what would you do if you found yourself in this position? It has white stripes, white and black interior with the snorkel hood and is a four speed.

Let me know your thoughts?
Being it’s an original 340/4spd I would keep it original. To the letter.
That said, it’s your car, build it as you see fit. Paint can always be changed

-
Back