Paint for my '75 Hang 10?

-

Hang10Mike

Reaction score
Well, I'm back. Hang 10 is laid up right now, but only a wiring glitch. I have been pondering the paint issue, thought I'd ask for your opinions. The Hang 10 only came in white and I'm not a big fan of white cars. I intend to restore interior, but as I am kinda shooting for a custom I'm wondering would it be okay to change exterior color? I want it a Hang 10, but beefed up. I also do pinstriping so I can do the original graphics in other matching colors. Any opinions? Thought I'd ask my fellow Mopar ppl for your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG00052-20110710-1509.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG00385-20101104-1226.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 275
With it being a Hang 10 i would keep it white but in you are going to keep it wnd not flip it then go with what ever color you would like but that is just
my opinion.

I'd keep it white man, white isn't all the popular but a good CLEAN white paint job can look great.

Yeah, It was all apart when I got it, put it all back together with a friend so I am keeping it (too rare to let go). Yoy opinions do go with those of my freinds too, stay white, so I guess I can live with that. Does make it more recognizable too. Thanks guys, I do appreciate the input.

I intend to restore interior, but as I am kinda shooting for a custom...

Honestly, if all Hang Tens were in white, and you don't go white, then you don't have a Hang Ten any longer, you would have a former Hang Ten that has been customized. In my opinion, there isn't anything wrong with that. If you like the look of the Hang Ten interior and want to restore it back to its original condition, but you prefer a different exterior color, then go for it. How much would it actually affect the value of the completely restored car, just to be able to say it is a Hang Ten - are they really that rare and valuable? :dontknow:

Well, call me a purist, but I feel that if you are sitting on something that is that specific, to change it would reduce the overall potnetial value (but it would have your custom touches). If you were keeping it forever, who cares?

From my personal standpoint, I think your project would be better if you found a solid Dart Sport that you can paint any color you want. Then if you want some of the touches of a Hang Ten you can either swap them over and resotore or replicate the cosmetics if you are fond of (the seats, door panels and console). Painting a car that came in only one color that is as specific as a Hang Ten doesn't make all that much sense to me. You can take other less drastic cosmetic changes to a run of the mill car. I bet there is someone that would take the Hang Ten shell off of your hands down the road to save it. I'm just saying.

At the end of the day, it is your car, do with it what you will. It is all a matter of opinion....and those are like....

I vote keep it white, if you change the color, the whole ''Hang 10'' personality is lost.

Sounds like she'll stay white. As for future value...as far as I can find, these were one of those expendable cars. If you had one it was the first one you'd turn into a track car or custom, so weren't collector pieces or anything. Rare? VERY. I meet rodders everyday who've never seen one in person, and I can only find less than 100 between US and Canada. But at the end of the day, I think a concourse restoration still wouldn't bring more than 10K or so. I will have my own touches into it being an artist and all, but I think I will stick with my fellow Mopar's and stay white :)

agree do it white. They arent the most collectable car but if you spend money painting it another color it will just be a 75 Dart Sport and lose what ever value the Hang 10 option adds to it.

Back in the day the old adage (words said in the body shop) was If you want to do it right paint it white... I have painted a few cars and trucks white and I like a white car :cheers:
I get snow blind when I painted with white paint :glasses7: I bet AdamR will agree :hello2:
Yes keep it white for sure JMO :hello2:

I agree with keeping the Hang 10 original. It's like the Spirit of '76 cars. Not to many of them left. You can get the proper graphics and interior material and panels from Classic Industries to do it right. As was said before, Not too many people have actually seen one in person. All that being said, it is your car, But it is history. Looking forward to your decision and your progress.:coffee2:

My Hang10 had orange carpet?

I don't have a photo of the floorboards, but here's the trunk and I recall the floor being the same color.

This picture was taken long after I had it. I sold it to a gal named Kristine Skibinski and she takes it to the Nationals (Columbus) every year where she sells umbrellas with your car colors and emblem on them. The car was ratted when I got it (Saved it from a salvage yard, I thought it was a white Duster when I first spotted it). Kris made it immaculate, and correct. It's f**king beautiful now and she takes fantastic care of it. Kind of makes up for the 340 Demon I sent to the crusher.

Attachments

• P6110486.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 209
I'm glad you've decided to stay with white. Value aside (since you are building the car to enjoy), I'd just like to be able to say I had a Hang 10. They really stand out, and I've never seen one in person myself. My car is a fold down rear seat car, which is not rare at all, but it still is a conversation point at cruise night. A Hang 10 will REALLY get attention, I'm sure.

Here's my opinion for what its worth, which isn't much...

Like you said its rare but in not worth anything to speak of really... If your not doing a Barrett Jackson restore to squeeze every bit of that $10K out of her then paint the car the way you want it. You'll have the only Blue or whatever hang ten... Do something fun to play off the original pin striping and make it yours. Its always going to be a Hang Ten... Let the next owner worry about making it 100% original... they might get $12K for it then.. j/k

Its not a Hemi car so does it really matter.....

I'm not familiar with your car, is it numbers matching? regardless I would make it yours. Also you have a good selection of colours to pull from in the interior so you can make it any colour and still have things match.

Its only paint.

i would love to see one done in vitamin C orange with black/white hang 10 graphics and a restored original interior. dare to be different.

It's your decision but I'm glad you chose to stay with white. The color is the identity of the car! Mopar nailed it in my opinion! There is one on ebay right now and looks great. No reserve and states 18K original miles. Check it out if you get a chance.

White....do pinstriping to match the interior since that is your thing. Wont it wipe off with thinner when you go to sell it?,

Sounds like she'll stay white. As for future value...as far as I can find, these were one of those expendable cars. If you had one it was the first one you'd turn into a track car or custom, so weren't collector pieces or anything. Rare? VERY. I meet rodders everyday who've never seen one in person, and I can only find less than 100 between US and Canada. But at the end of the day, I think a concourse restoration still wouldn't bring more than 10K or so. I will have my own touches into it being an artist and all, but I think I will stick with my fellow Mopar's and stay white :)

Make that 102 including the '74 318 one i parted out last year, and the one i have left is a '74 /6 car. I might end up parting it too, (no one interested in buying it).

Attachments

• PB250078.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 172
  • PB250112.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 172
  • PB250079.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 173
  • PB250080.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 178
How about adding a flip-flop pearl as an accent ?
Throw some red and blue pearl in the paint -- not too much though -- and go to town . It'll add to the impact of the interior and those slick graphics .

Actually, i always thought one done in blue with the factory stripes etc. would look pretty good.

I'd paint it a color you like. Pick one of the seat stripe colors, pinstripe it in something that matches. Custom is nice and if you do it well could actually improve the value.

White it will be...if I can just get her running again. She's been sitting fir the past 4 months now while I tended to other things and now doesn't wanna start back up! She's pretty touchy sometimes. Lol. Need to get her up for the weekend. I need to drive! Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated.

Make that 102 including the '74 318 one i parted out last year, and the one i have left is a '74 /6 car. I might end up parting it too, (no one interested in buying it).
Hello. Dodge Dart sports hang 10, do you still have it ? I need some parts for my Hang 10. Is it possible to get buy it from you?

Hello. Dodge Dart sports hang 10, do you still have it ? I need some parts for my Hang 10. Is it possible to get buy it from you?
What do you need?
Please send me a P.M. or a ''conversation'' as it is called now.
I still have everything when i posted on this thread a few years ago......

-
Back