Paint it, Clear it or Let It Rip?

Paint it? Clear it? Or let it Rip?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Mine are generally painted. I don't know what I'm gonna do with the super Victor yet. I don't know why the Sixpack pic is upside down.

20230827_184117.jpg

20230827_184051.jpg

20230827_184030.jpg

20230514_073723.jpg

20230514_073703.jpg

What and why is a thermal barrier? Don’t you want heat conduction for maximum dissipation though radiation?
Under the hood? Coating on the outside keeps intake from absorbing heat from under the hood and coating on the inside keep s the fuel mixture cool.

One other tip I'll pass along is to use thread sealer on every one of your intake bolts so oil doesn't wick back up the bolts and puddle oil in the little valleys below the bolts.
Yes! I've done this for 30 years, but I'm cheap and just put a dab of RTV about three quarters of the way up from the bottom of the bolt. Nothing down where it counts on the threads as far as torque, but low enough that when the bolt rotates through the hole in the intake, it gets a good little "O ring"

Polished :) have I would say 20-30k miles on it and several years. Assault racing intake (Chinese). This was my first one and have bought 7 more since and even the "bare" ones have been holding up just fine honestly

Snapchat-1934680771.jpg

I wet sanded smooth and polished a tri power manifold on my 56 F-100. Ton ofwork but it did look good and held up.

So I am still waiting on my thermostat water housing. I assume that not having a thermostat relief for the thermostat to sit in the manifold is normal? The relief must be in the mating housing?

IMG_1782.jpeg

Did you have to hone the holes out in the Magnum bolt pattern to get the plugs knocked in? I bought one of those intakes a while back when someone had them on sale cheap. I noticed that the plugs seemed to be too big for the holes, is why I asked. You did a good job on the paint!

:thumbsup:

Did you have to hone the holes out in the Magnum bolt pattern to get the plugs knocked in? I bought one of those intakes a while back when someone had them on sale cheap. I noticed that the plugs seemed to be too big for the holes, is why I asked. You did a good job on the paint!

:thumbsup:
No the holes were good. I used JB Weld and tapped them in. I test fitted each plug as there was some variability, so some plugs fit better than others.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The relief must be in the mating housing?
It is. I always thought it would be easier if the relief was in the manifold. I always put a few small dabs of gasket sealer in the relief of the housing and then put the thermostat in the housing and give the sealant a few minutes to set up. Then install the gasket and place the housing on the manifold. The few dabs of sealant keep the thermostat from slipping and getting stuck in between the manifold and housing outside of the relief which could go unnoticed.

So I am still waiting on my thermostat water housing. I assume that not having a thermostat relief for the thermostat to sit in the manifold is normal? The relief must be in the mating housing?

View attachment 1716241073
I always "stud" bolt holes in aluminum. Years ago I fought a thermostat leak in a brand new performer and had to Helicoil the threads after several rounds of torquing.

-
Back