paint problem need help please

-

Scamper

Reaction score
I had the scamp painted aprox 7 months ago, it sat in my carport for 4 1/2 months and looked perfect. we pushed it outside to build a new fence. 2 1/2 months later we pushed it back in and there is a textured feeling to the hood,roof and trunk. nothing is taking it off, if i clay bar the same spot for 15 min aprox. 2"x2" i can make it go away.I think it is tree sap and dust when i take a kettle of water and pour it on, the area gets soft where it feels like i can dig my nail into it.Any ideas on how to get rid of this without wrecking my new paint job? even specs of dirt take 15 min to rub out with the clay bar. i have tried hand soap,keen flo tumbler, auto wash.I have not tried denatured alcohol as I cannot find up here. any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have used Goof off on my paint. Worked well with no ill effects to the paint what so ever. Try it on a small area first just to make sure it takes the sap off.

where did you buy goof off? how long did you let it sit before rubbing off? do you think the cold temperature will affect it? i only have a carport. thanks for the tip i will try it

So when you say hot water gets the spot soft are you talking about the small textured bump or the painted area?

Are these bumps in the paint or on the paint?

i was told to pour hot water on the paint and try washing it off. it felt like my nail could have scrathed it off bit i did not want to damage the clear. it looks like in the paint yet if i rub really hard with a clay bar it goes to just the clear. the hood roof and trunk are covered. very little on sides of car and it comes off very easy. feels and looks like cloudy little bubbles all over and the odd little brown spot of dirt is in it and even to get the brown spot out takes one heck of a lot of scrubbing with a clay bar. i was told that i cannot cut polish it out as all i am doing is mixing the contamination into the clear.

Sounds like the clearcoat catalyst has not kicked off yet.Ask the painter what he used,call the company that makes the paint.The catalyst needs drying time.Judging from the amount of time it has sat,not enough clearcoat catalyst.If you can ,set it in sunlight.This may take a few days.Something is not right,even the slowest clearcoats in the coldest weather usually kick off and harden in 7 to 10 days.

The car sat in my carport for 4+ months after paint and looked perfect this only happened after i left it out in my back yard for a couple of months uncovered and surrounded by trees

i have never figured out how to load my old pics let alone take pics of this problem and load them :(

What happens is that as the clear coat and paint is degassing(~90 days after paint) its extremely soft, dirt, dust and whatever else settles on the car if left there for an extended period of time will sink into the clear. About the only thing you can do now, is wash it, use a clay bar to try and remove as much particulate as possible, and proceed to spend hours cutting and buffing the hell out of it and pray that your painter didn't short change you on how many coats of clear he sprayed.

I think I am hooped then. the car has 2 mist coats of clear 1 with pearl and the other with H.O.K gold flake and the a wet on wet clear coat. This not sounding too good. If it is not into the paint, would I not be able to get it sanded and then get a couple more coats of clear sprayed?

Maybe,the fact he can dig his fingernail tells me otherwise,xlexl.Usually,even uncatalyzed paint does not harden for six months.But, a clearcoat is usually a 2k setup,it kicks off in a week in 40 degree temps.

It'll be the number of coats of clear over top the flake and pearl that is the important number. If he shot 4 coats of clear overtop the pearl and flake, than cut and buffed you have about a little more than 3 left on the car. Which should be plenty to cut and buff again. It would be preferable to sand and reclear....but that's going to be dependant on how much more money you want to spend.

Yes, you can sand and reclear, there should be little to no chance of it sinking into the paint. Don't skimp on clear, everytime you polish your car you slowly work your way through the clear, everytime you polish a scratch out more of it goes. The more clear you've got on there(to a point) the longer you can keep your paint job looking shiny silky smooth sexyness.

The paint was hard within a week. When i mentioned being able to dig my nail in, it was after pouring very hot water on the hood and I was washing and tried to dig a little at the contaminated area. I t almost felt like I could scrape off the contamination but I worried about wrecking the clear.There was nothing wrong at all with clear until I let the car sit out under the trees for a couple of months.I am guessing with all the studying I am doing that the sap,dust etc sat on the car got wet and dried very hard?

Maybe,the fact he can dig his fingernail tells me otherwise,xlexl.Usually,even uncatalyzed paint does not harden for six months.But, a clearcoat is usually a 2k setup,it kicks off in a week in 40 degree temps.

I took it as when he ran his fingernail over it, that he could feel the grit burried in it. Not that the paint and clear was still soft. I've had grime bury into a 2k clear up to 2 months later even in the summer with dry heat. The longer the grime is allowed to sit on there the more of a chance of it settling into the paint.

The paint was hard within a week. When i mentioned being able to dig my nail in, it was after pouring very hot water on the hood and I was washing and tried to dig a little at the contaminated area. I t almost felt like I could scrape off the contamination but I worried about wrecking the clear.There was nothing wrong at all with clear until I let the car sit out under the trees for a couple of months.I am guessing with all the studying I am doing that the sap,dust etc sat on the car got wet and dried very hard?

Try a clay bar. best way for removing grime off of paint without damaging the paint.

If that doesnt work you'll need to try a extreemly fine cut liquid polishing compound. Meguires makes some OK stuff that's easy to get. 3 stage liquid polishing set, higher the number rating on it the finer the cut. If that doesn't work you'll have to cut and buff. If you haven't cut and buffed before id leave it to a pro, its easy to completely trash a paint job very quickly if you dont know what your doing

I can get it out, but it takes 15-20 min with a clay bar on a 2"x2" spot and a hell of a lot of effort. It would take months and one hell of a lot of clay bar to get it all. I will try the hot water and see if it leaves a finger print tomorrow after work.Even a tiny dirt flake takes the same effort, sap is a real pain in the arse.I was told no go on polishing as I would them smear the contaminates into the clear?

Have you talked to the person that painted the car yet?
Can you have them look at it.

You said it sit under trees after painting.
Sap, bird sh$t which all has acid has ruined your paint.

My daily driver, which was 5ys old with 20K on it when I purchased.
I bought it from the elderly original owner, left it under a tree in his driveway since it was new. Washed it once in a while.

The hood is completly etched with bird crap marks.
On factory clear there is not enough there to remove them.
The only way I would be able to make them go away is to repaint.
And yes you can "catch" a finger nail in the bird marks.
This is factory baked paint that sit under a tree.

I hope somebody has a miracle solution to fix yor problem.

I would try goof off. I would try not to reclear it. 4 coats is all you really need on a car. Even if you cut and buff it. The reason a lot of painters put alot of clear on it just to cut and buff it So it looks prefect. But a good painter can make one look good a slick with 4 coats . Then you don't have to worry about the clear chacking. If yoy already have 2 coats the a pearl coat then more clear on that it is getting pretty thick. I am a PPG certified painter.

The painter is mad at me, so I cannot get him to answer any questions. I had mine done for 6500 and the tow truck driver asked me how much so I told him not knowing that his buddies 69 camaro was there to get done with less bodywork and he was paying 12k. You can guess real quick where this went and the painter is poed that I told what I paid.I guess there is an unwritten law that you are supposed to say nothing

Do not do that! Wrong approach,forget hot water! It sounds like it has not hardened yet! Hot water is useless! Water has nothing to do with it.Call your painter,I used to be a paint sales rep.Let 's make this easy,wait and ask the painter.We need to know what we are dealing with!

Press the thumb in the clearcoat,please? That is the simple answer.If it leaves a print,or sticks like crazy? That is what I am looking for ,mate.

-
Back