paint problem need help please

-
I'm still not getting what he can dig his fingernail into. If it's just the bumps, maybe the car is just covered with tree sap.

If the clear is soft, that is another issue.

Here is something I found for tree sap removal. Try some of these.

http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/repairs/detailing/tree_sap.htm

One thing that can happen when layering paint...... Primer, sealer, base, clear with candy, clear with metallic, followed by more clear (this sounds like what you have).

If you are not spot on with your application, times and product choices, things will never cure correctly.

well if it ain't hard in 7 months something is wrong lol It could be solvent pop.Which is where traped solvents are coming out of the paint.

I think it is sap. The are that I was able to dig my finger nail into was what I believe to be the sap after hot water. I have tried many ideas to get it off, it is all over the top of the car and has hardened.(this is what I think) denatured alcohol I want to try but I do not think I can get it here in Canada? goof off heavy duty I will try if I can find it. if it was solvent pop would a clay bar with a hell of a lot of force be able to take it out?

If it was mine, I would use quality wax and grease remover. Get it from the paint supply store. Most are paint and clear coat safe and will remove most contaminates from the paint. But, it will remove the wax....so make sure you get a good coat back on it. You should call the paint supply house and ask them. Don't use the parts stores brands. Just my 2 cents.

Bama maybe right.Let it sit in the sun.I am trying to give you an easy answer.We need to know what paint is on it!

Unfortunately I do not know as I explained above he is not talking I cannot even get the paint code he used.I may have to have a pro come over and look at it.I was hoping to try to solve it myself since the paint budget broke the bank and finances have been bad since.

I got tree sap, and probably a fair portion of aphid pooh, on my wife's WRX and tried cleaning it with various things. Finally found mineral spirits to be the product of choice. Rubbing alcohol worked but mineral spirits worked better. Just be sure to test any chemical you use on an inconspicuous area before trying it on a readily visible area.

Thanks for all your help. I have a proffesional coming over to see what can be done.
At this point I am hoping for a wet sand and a reclear? Fingers are crossed

Don't know if this is a good idea or not but I worked at Ziebart rust proofing cars for a while. We used to use either kerosene or diesel fuel to wash the over spray off of the paint, only thing it did, supposedly, was strip off the wax......I can say these also works wonders at taking chain lube off of motorcycles, and that stuff was beyond sticky....think it was made with synthetic sperm whale oil or something of that nature....

Well I am hooped 6k wasted. The pro figures that the primer wasn't an epoxy and absorbed water and that the whole car has to be redone.I am getting stubborn now especially since I do not have the money, so I will have to try this myself and I have never attempted bodywork.

Well I am hooped 6k wasted. The pro figures that the primer wasn't an epoxy and absorbed water and that the whole car has to be redone.I am getting stubborn now especially since I do not have the money, so I will have to try this myself and I have never attempted bodywork.

Sue your painter. Who primed the car?

I think it is sap. The are that I was able to dig my finger nail into was what I believe to be the sap after hot water. I have tried many ideas to get it off, it is all over the top of the car and has hardened.(this is what I think) denatured alcohol I want to try but I do not think I can get it here in Canada? goof off heavy duty I will try if I can find it. if it was solvent pop would a clay bar with a hell of a lot of force be able to take it out?

The clay bar shouldn't really have any pressure on it. It should be doing the work for you. I just knead it frequently when it flattens out and give the area a few passes.

Would wetsanding it with a 1200 to 1500 grit and buffing it work?. Not saying do this just asking.

If you read post #37 it sounds like water was allowed into the painting process.

What happens is, it sits outside in the sun the water lifts the paint. This can happen over just a few hours.

If this is what happened the paint job is junk and can not be saved.

Would wetsanding it with a 1200 to 1500 grit and buffing it work?. Not saying do this just asking.

2X
Would you please post some pics of what you are dealing with.
Everybody is here to help, but it is just a spot or two or the whole car?

that is what the expert said he figures it is in the primer.since i just flushed all my money away i will for now wet sand and polish for now, get it running and when i am ready i will try the bodywork myself. i am starting to trust no one all they want is the money and no pride.
I tracked the painter down in another province so that option is lost

although if a grown man could cry i would right now, instead i think i will go out and beat the car :(

You need to have a talk with the shop it was painted at. **** that! You paid good money for a proper paint job. It sounds to me like the guys a jerk but he needs to make this right. I paint and the last thing I would want is a disgruntled customer. Not that I recommend this, but hell, a call to the E.P.A. (Environment Protection Agency) or a little intimidation... Im just saying.

-
Back