Paint rant time

-
As a painter for the last 19 yrs. I'd like to add this to that..Many factors can affect the outcome of a color, particulary sensitive colors like pearls and metallics. For example if you held the spray gun too close to a panel that was lying flat( as many people do) You can get a different color tone to a 1/4 panel you shot that was on the car ( where one would instinctively 'back off ' the gun, so you don't run the paint). Also if the car was not shot both times in a controlled enviroment like a paint booth, and the weather conditions( like temp, humidity, amount of air movement) were considerable different. That would affect the speed that the paint flashed or dryed, and how the metallics layed out. I would not re-prime the car either. Let it cure, 800 or 1000 grit sand it (don't blow thru) then shoot. If you have enough base to redo it, I would. This would all but quarantee your success. Don't sweat it, pros redo paint work all the time. The chances of the doors matching the 1/4's and fenders if you reshoot just them is...not good.

I have to try doing the doors just to see how it comes out and satisfy myself I'm only going to do one door I have it sanded with 1000 grit and have the door standing up as if it was on the car.I will spray it tomorrow night (Wednesday) as I do not have time now have to keep my wife happy and watch Dancing With The Stars.If that doen't work I'm going to back off for awhile to regroup

OK thanks to everyone that had a reply to my problem.
I MADE A BIG MISTAKE in my painting of my Scamp apart
So anyone thinking of painting their car with a metalic
and/or transparent paint DO NOT do what I did.As stated
above I tried repainting just one door NOT GOOD.I am now
going to do it CORRECT sand down the clear coat as much
as possible spray the car with primer sealer so it has a uniform
color as a base then repaint and clear
Live and Learn

Update on my terrible paint job.I have it completly sanded down with 800 grit also fixed a few missed problems.Taking it to a friend this week that is a very good painter he restores 30's - 40's -50's cars.Made a deal to work for him in trade.This is one of his latest restorations 1954 packard caribbean convertible absolutely stunning car

Attachments

• FL11_r377_01.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 270
Glad you are getting it taken care of. Metallics are very tricky. Last summer I did the body work and painted a friends 68 dart in silver metallic. He came to look at the car right after I touched up the clear in a couple of spots. He touched the wet clear without even thinking about it and put 4 fingerprints right down in the base. He was pissed, because of how stupid it was. That was about a $400 mistake, because I told him that I would attempt to shoot that entire panel, but most likely it would be a different shade. I got really lucky and it blended perfect. You can't even tell, but like I said I got lucky. I thought I would have to reshoot the entire car. Here is the car.

Attachments

• 68.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 265
  • 68 2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 248
  • 68 3.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 257
If you repaint JUST the doors, you will regret it, they won't match. :wack:
x2 i would mask off the sides and blend into the fenders and quarters,if you are not trying to redo the whole car.the ONLY way it will look right.besides basing the entire,car again

Painter for a long long time. Metalics will change hue for these reasons.

Air pressure
viscosity
tenperature
Application speed and distance
primer or base color
spray gun
clearcoat depth

For this reason all panel should be sprayed hanging on the car. Straight colors are more forgiving but can still have the same effect if not sprayed exact. When I sprayed at Mack trucks. Two painters on one cab. we would meet at cab corners and dust the corners to blend. Pulling from the same pressure pot in the same booth we would still get a hue difference. It was due to each sprayer having a different application speed and distance. They would always keep two painters as a team once they are matched up. Always paint a metalic car as one piece

x2 i would mask off the sides and blend into the fenders and quarters,if you are not trying to redo the whole car.the ONLY way it will look right.besides basing the entire,car again

repainting the entire car

Just so you know - you don't need to spray any sealer or anything on the car. Just scuff the clear and re-apply the base in a uniform coat. You really won't need much paint since your existing color will act as a "base" for the color. Just one good uniform coat and then a "fog coat" to make the metallic lay out uniform should do it. Good luck - just remember "The car is so nice, 'cause I painted it twice!"

Just so you know - you don't need to spray any sealer or anything on the car. Just scuff the clear and re-apply the base in a uniform coat. You really won't need much paint since your existing color will act as a "base" for the color. Just one good uniform coat and then a "fog coat" to make the metallic lay out uniform should do it. Good luck - just remember "The car is so nice, 'cause I painted it twice!"

The car is so nice, 'cause I painted it twice!" I like that I'm leaving it up to the person doing the painting to decide how it will be done

I have been painting cars for a long time, first as a professional and now as a hobbyist. You have heard from other guys here who also know what they are doing and it is my thought that painting cars with the modern colors is not something approached without careful consideration. Painting all pieces at the same time is the best approach because so many things come into play, did you spray the same number of coats of paint, at the same temperature, with the same amount of cure time in between? How "wet" the paint is applied can have a great affect on the final coloring as can the base coat or primer used. I have seen this result on doors particularly because you take them off and lay them flat, allowing a nice "wet coat" of paint to be applied resulting in a "richer" color, which in reality is closer to the intended color. Painting the body presents vertical surfaces where runs in metallic are much easier to achieve, resulting in a "drier" application which can result in less paint applied and a lighter color result. Kinda makes you appreciate the professionals, they have skills some of us never think about!

the kid did a great job

Attachments

• Picture 149.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Picture 146.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 227
Ey, psycho your car looks great. I think the Duster and Challenger may be the only cars that look masculine in purple.

guy i know did the same thing painting his jeep got paint from tcp global painted everything off the car buffed put it toghter and evrything was a different color green it happens wit Metallicsj ust succs wen it does lol

guy i know did the same thing painting his jeep got paint from tcp global painted everything off the car buffed put it toghter and evrything was a different color green it happens wit Metallicsj ust succs wen it does lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke5Mr5eCF2U"]Authentic Frontier Gibberish - YouTube[/ame]

This is very possible. Panel shooting with metallic, especially if the parts are not oriented the way they hang on the car can give a color mismatch.

This is very possible. Panel shooting with metallic, especially if the parts are not oriented the way they hang on the car can give a color mismatch.

YUP!

You will NOT get away with painting metallics while the parts are off,unless your a real pro. Solids are no problem.

well i went to school for painting and do it for a living but mayb im lieing your right ........scumbag

Lighten up Frances. I r sory u deednt geet th jke. Win u cee a red lign undr a wurd win u r tiping it miens its spilled wrng.

"it happens wit Metallicsj ust succs wen it does lol" :eek:ops:

Going in on Thursday to get painted by someone that knows
what he's doing I will post pictures soon thanks for all the feedback
and I hope some one else learned something besides me

Project Scamp is in the paint booth of a friend - sanded - cleaned - taped off he's going to paint it correctly on Monday morning hope to have picture up by Wednesday

I think the Duster and Challenger may be the only cars that look masculine in purple.
these are not "masculine"??? sorry for the threadjack..back to regular programming.

Attachments

• purp.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 139
  • pu3.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 123
  • pu2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 131
-
Back