paint suggestions for Lulu Sweet Thang' 63 Dart convertible

-

Hideogumperjr

Reaction score
Hey folks been poring over the paint threads here and wonderful information.
I am soliciting thoughts on paint for my Dart convertible. It started out as Polar White and was smacked on the driver side front. They replaced the driver fender and threw some kinda white paint on it. I did not trust it so have stripped to metal the hood and fenders.
I have been stuck on what color to paint the old gal. My wife tells me "Oh I love the 56 Chevrolet blue its so cool!" I grew up with a 56 wagon white on top blue bottom and loved that color. However I am thinking that I also like the B5 blue and electric blue. I run into a problem with the interior though. Original was the aqua=like blue so that would have to be painted and dyed. I cant make up my mind if I do go deep blue should I paint dash and doors the same color. Then the door panels and stuff in matching or a complement.
So then I flip-flop to thinking I want to paint it a nice white or off-white pearlescent with a blue pearlescent clear coat.
Thoughts or comments?
Stuck in Seattle!
John

owning a pearl white car, I can say the color looks beautiful when done right -and I really love the pearl white on the newer Cadillacs-something like that would look great on an older car like yours.

Paint it the factory color or a color available on a 66 Dart.

My next choice would be white (the factory 66 Dart white). If you are painting it yourself and you are a first time painter, do not paint it a 3-stage pearl white. I 100% guarantee that you do not have the gun control to lay down the mid-coat correctly.

You screw up the mid-coat and you get to start over.

I am partial to the Aqua. (go figure) :D My car was white when I got it but it was originally Aqua with matching interior. It has a little metallic in it and pops beautify in the sun! Good luck with you decision!
Larry
Here is my paint code:
Centari Acrylic Enamel
F3325A
Car: Winnebago Industries
Color: Light Aqua - Effect
Use Centari Single Stage
Label Metallic / Iridescent
Content < 5 Grams / Liter

Attachments

• June 037.JPG
    159.5 KB · Views: 175
  • June 040.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 172
  • June 038.JPG
    145.4 KB · Views: 223
  • August 018.JPG
    116.1 KB · Views: 162
  • June 049.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 168
...not white..nor retail red...

..maybe a colour that will give the car presence or make it look larger...

always liked that color. would look great on it and especially with a white top.

attachment.php

If you decide to price any sort of Tri-Cote pearl color be prepared for some sticker shock. I just did a front bumper cover on my wife's Acura which is a White Diamond Pearl. I bought Dupont from O'Reilly's (there's probably better and cheaper places to go) and it was $80 per pint of base and $80 for a pint of mid coat. I'd hate to see what it'd cost to do a whole car inside and out.

I appreciate the responses, thanks.

I do know I am a computer guy, last car I painted was my 69 Karmann Ghia in 77. I used paint called Firethorne. Don't remember manufacturer though. I do remember it was easier since the body was smaller and less complex curves.

The tri coat pearl sounds way over my head, so out of consideration. I have no illusion of my skills or talent in doing the work. I know it wont be professional and will not win any shows, but I am not looking for that. I want a nice looking car to drive my wife and I around in during nice weather here in Seattle. I can accept imperfections, something I have acquired as I have gotten older!

I like the turquoise its nice looking. I ran through the thread of colors on convertibles pictures, some really nice looking ones in there. I did not see any pearl cars there or cant remember if I did, age I guess, but there were some really nice looking blues there also.

Has anyone sprayed a white base coat and the used pearl in their clear coat? I seem to have read in some paint threads about this. One also used a blue basecoat then a read pearl clear coat to complement.

I considered doing the engine compartment myself and getting the car running and then taking it somewhere for the body spray but dang if I don't go back and forth on that also. Decisions such as this can surely be paralyzing for me. My wife talks color to me and I hear Blah, Blah, Blah. Must be brain damage!

Is gray primer a classic color?

John

-
Back