Paint that changes color?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I was reading another thread about photoshopping when I thought of a car I saw the other day. The car changed colors (completely) 3 times, depending on what angle you viewed it from. Purple ,orange, and green........strange? It was quite an interesting paint job and NO IT WASN`T A FLASHBACK......lol! Has anybody had experience with paint like that?

Most pearls only change one color,but some paints change many colors,it is very expensive,over 200.00 per pint of base coat.Also impossible to blend if it gets scratched ir bumped

yha cameleon paint, lots of the ricers around here have it. I hear it is a pain to work with though

Hi. Dupont makes paint like that, they call it Chromalusion. It is very expensive and hard to match if something happens to your car. Alot of imports/tuner cars running around my area with it

I don't know if they change the formula, but it wasn't that durable when it came out about 5 years ago. I had a few friends with that paint job. Also had a friend with body shop that refused to spray it because it wasn't durable enough.

I painted one of my bass guitars with Chromalusion.
A friend of mine that ran a Dupont paint store supplied me
with it. Gold to green and everything between, Looks good on a guitar.
but to me look like poop on a car. But thats just me.

It's actually pretty cool. i once had how it works explained to me once. the individual particles are shaped cylindrical with a flat top for 2 color change (cylinder one, top another), and much like a rectanglular prism for more then 2. The sides are two colors, and the top another. I believe (in theory) it could get up to 5 seperate colors, but like was mentioned, durability goes down. i betcha it becomes a lot more volatile, and doesn't really work.

I Have Sprayed It Many Times, I Have Painted A Couple Of Harley's With The Ppg Version Of Color Change Paint(harliquen). I Have Painted A Couple Of Car's With It, And A Couple Of Mailboxes With It. The Paint Is Very Easy To Use, I Even Repaired A Ford Van That Had That Paint On It , And I Had To Blend It. It Was Some Of The Easiest Paint I've Ever Had To Blend. Ppg Has Two Different Versions Of It , The Expensive Stuff And The Poor Man's Version Is About 1/4 The Cost. But To Me It Work's Well As An Accent Stripe Or Graphic. Painting A Whole Car With It Look's Like *** , But That's Just My Opinion.

I painted one of my bass guitars with Chromalusion.
A friend of mine that ran a Dupont paint store supplied me
with it. Gold to green and everything between, Looks good on a guitar.
but to me look like poop on a car. But thats just me.

Sorry have to agree with memike on this, as I read his post I thought yeah on a guitar I would be cool, then when I read it would look like "poop":bootysha:eek:n a car, I had to laugh out loud! There was a guy around town with it on an early '80s chev malibu he though was the cats ***, most everyone used to giggle at the sight of it. I think you'd get tired of looking at it on your car everyday, sorry for another neg opinoin.

the purple on the side of my Prowler is Chromalusion, been on it for 9 years now and looks like the rest of the graphics as far as durability. it was $270 a PINT in jan of 99 for the guy that painted my car. The blue is also chromealusion but does not change color as much as the purple. I like my graphics and the stuff hidden in them.

I had my rear bumpers painted and thought about the chromalusion but the painter thought it would draw too much attention so we painted them black.

I have seen several whole cars painted completely in chormalusion of the PPG paint and I have to agree with the others, it looks like CRAP.

lowcattulsa.JPG

There used to be an early 90's Ford Probe in town that had that type of paint job on it. From what I've heard Ford had it as an option for those cars back then. I could be wrong just what I've been told. And it is apparently really hard to get done properly gotta get someone who knows what they're doin.

My opinoin is that it's neat to see but I would never get it done on a car that I own.

I saw it on a 2000 something Mustang and YES it did look like poop! It`s definitely an eye opener though. I think it looks good in small doses and the science behind it is cool.

I know a guy who also has a bodyshop and always has to try 'the latest thing' he can get his hands on. When Chromalusion first came out he talked a customer into letting him paint his semi tractor with the stuff. It took $7000 in paint and materials! :wack:
Dallas
missourimopar.com

A couple of years ago I was racing at Atco... parked a few cars down from me was a white '68 or '69 Charger. Depending on what angle you looked at it, it was different colors... blue, red, yellow, green. Crazy. I've got pics of it somewhere, I'll see if I can find them and post them.

-
Back