Painted my rear seats

-

autopar3000

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I would do up a quick little post on the spray job I did on the rear seat in my 70 Swinger. When the car came into my family 31 years ago it had seats from an Aspen or Volare. They rotted out years ago and about 8 years ago I found this rear seat for sale online:
20190922_132451.jpg

I ran that seat for about 8 years with the rest of the interior being black, but now it's time to streamline the colours. Here are the products that I used:
20190922_132401.jpg

Here's an interesting little quirk. I guess the factory ran out of thoses pieces in the creme colour, and you can't see the blue when the seat is installed. Of course, back in the day this type of thing was pretty common.
20190922_140249.jpg

I cleaned up the seats using the soap and sprayed them down with the vinyl prep, following all the directions listed on the product labels. Here we are after 1 coat:
20190922_151445.jpg

Closer pic below:
20190922_151450.jpg

Had a bit of a break as I found this little guy in my shop garbage can:
20190922_155457.jpg

I used him to terrify the wife for a bit then took him out to the yard and let him go:
20190922_155717.jpg

Moving along, you have to be careful to get the paint on the inside of the piping. Here's a shot of a section of the seat bottom:
20190922_160834.jpg

And here's the exact same section with the camera at a higher angle:
20190922_160840.jpg

So I made sure to get into the nooks as well as the crannies and ended up with this:
20190922_182839.jpg

Here's a shot of the seat back:
20190922_182849.jpg

And finally, after letting them come up to temperature in the garage for a week, here they are in the car. OK, so the temperature had nothing to do with it. I was just being a bit lazy:
20190929_162758.jpg

Looks great. Was wondering about this myself.

In hindsight, it was a good idea to be lazy and put them back in after a few days. I'm sure the paint cured more in that time. And the interior still smells a bit like paint even now, 2 weeks later. It's not a big deal though, and seems to go well with the small of oil, grease, and unburnt hydrocarbons coming from the car.

Looks great. It amazes me how vinyl paint, chemically bonds to the vinyl.

I bought some years ago to paint the plastic of a PC. I did a test paint on a old part and after the paint cured I could not scrape it off. I used the back of a key and only dented the plastic. Color remained intact.

I did my rear seats too and they were the same color as yours. That is an oddity with the blue vinyl on there.
The SEM paints are awesome. If your doing hard plastics get some of the "sand free". It softens the plastic so the paint will grab.

I did my rear seats too and they were the same color as yours. That is an oddity with the blue vinyl on there.
The SEM paints are awesome. If your doing hard plastics get some of the "sand free". It softens the plastic so the paint will grab.
I'll check it out. I have a couple of kick panels I might shoot with the left over paint.

I did the same exact thing to the rear seat in my '72 Demon. My seat was also originally tan/buck skin and had the hidden blue area on it too.

I painted some boat seats with this stuff & they lasted more than 20 years with all kinds of abuse & sun exposure.

I recolored the interior on my '73 as well.
Used VHT vinyl spray on the door panels, regular black spraybomb for the roof hardboard and bought some black leather paint for the rear seat.

-
Back