Painted the trunk

-

72Plymouth

Reaction score
I painted the trunk! Not perfect but looks almost new now. Sorry, didn't take a before photo but it basically had some rust and pitting in a couple areas. So spent a few days prepping it. My dad and I put new seam sealer in it to fix some areas. We purposely made it look sloppy to match what the factory did.

I still need to prep and paint the underside of the trunk lid. Then I bought a new jack instruction decal to put on.

BTW, does anyone know what the missing words on the small sticker on the tire jack is supposed to say. I already painted all these parts too and was going to make a new sticker to match.
Looks like it says (Caution (See ??) Jacking Instructions)

Will get you guys another update once I get the spare tire in and new mat. I might need help to figure out exactly how the parts are placed. I think some may be missing. Does the floor plate go below the wheel or above? Thanks

I think that is is supposed to say, " Caution See Jacking Instructions". The reference is to what the owner's manual says with respect to jacking the car to change a tire.

Just looked online and found that it is supposed to say "follow" Jacking Instructions.

That looks really good dude! I see no mystery holes like mine. lol. I really liked the seam sealer. it looks very factory

Looks great... I think that caution sticker once said ---- Do not use bumper jack the mo-fo will fly out and kill ya azz---- or something like that ;)

Looks good, but I notice the plymouth didn't come with "speed holes" under the spare tire. The '72 Darts had a special lightening system under the spare for weight savings and ventalation... or maybe an escape hatch?

OH, ans X2 on what Green Hornet said, for some reason these things will climb over a concrete block to get away from a bumper jack. Phobias.

Wow man, it looks great! I dunno why, but the trunk area seems to scare me... Please post more pics as you add the final details dude!

Thanks! Yeah it was pretty messy before and needed a good amount of cleaning a prep. I kept putting the trunk off for a while because my spray gun needed a good cleaning too. I will try to get more pics by Friday when I get more done.

That looks really good dude! I see no mystery holes like mine. lol. I really liked the seam sealer. it looks very factory

Thanks! What did you guys mean by yours having holes? Mine has two plugs where the spare tire is and then an area in the center where the bolt attaches.

speed holes? could you discribe those? I didn't notice any in my 72', unless it's some small drain holes......lol
I guess they are speed holes, roughly the same size as the tire, reddish-brown around the edges and jagged? Too sharp to be escape hatch. Looks just like the smaller speed holes along the bottom of the door skins and wheel arches.

I put more of the truck together so here's an update!

All that is left is repainting the underside of the trunk lid and putting the label on.

Man that is nice. My '72 was the same color, but hasn't looked that nice since early '73! Great job.

-
Back