Painting a car question

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread. But, those of you that had to take your car to a shop to get painted, WHAT DID YOU PAY just for the paint job ? No body work, just paint. I know there will be a difference in price because of difference in colors.

I'm afraid this is one of those questions that you'll get a whole lot of different answers to.
So many different variables to consider. Color is only one of them. Prep time is where the costs add up and also what makes the difference in a good paint job and a bad job or even a great job. A quickie job could only cost you $500, a real quality job can easily run you $500 or more. Expect to get what you pay for.
Edit: A real quality job could easily run you $5000 or more.

Last edited:
Well I painted my 66 dart myself, just material about 2 grand. Paint can go thru the Stratosphere. Generally the more you pay the better the job. It is 95 percent prep.

I'm afraid this is one of those questions that you'll get a whole lot of different answers to.
So many different variables to consider. Color is only one of them. Prep time is where the costs add up and also what makes the difference in a good paint job and a bad job or even a great job. A quickie job could only cost you $500, a real quality job can easily run you $500 or more. Expect to get what you pay for.

I think you meant "a real quality job can cost you $5,000"

After more than 30 years in the industry, I have rarely seen a vehicle that just needs a sanding and paint. Generally there is some form of repairs which are necessary before prepping. Most shops in my area start at about 30 hours for the most basic prep and then another 10 hrs or so for just spraying it. That being said at the going rate which up here is about $75 an hour for labour and then material cost per hour, it adds up quick. A quality job will be much more. It also depends if you want base coat, clear coat or a single stage paint job with no clear coat. As for colors costing more, reds and yellows tend to be more expensive to buy the material due to the pigments.

Color definitely makes a difference. And now you know why my barracuda may be painted ivory instead of gold. Big price difference for sure

I have been painting cars/ trucks for 20 some years & they all been for family, friends or a shop that I worked in. I have a chance to do a pro street truck. They guy wants a show winning job. I can do it no problem but I just no what to charge. He knows it will be expensive but I don't want to scare him away. He has seen my work & that's why he picked me.

I real nice paint job around here would set you back 15K. As stated above. Depends on the amount of time to prep the car. Materials are big bucks if you go with good stuff such as PPG. My EV2 orange basecoat was about $300 just for the gallon of paint. Lots of hours to wet sand and buff after the painting is done.

I thinking about $6000.00 All im doing is painting the truck. 3 coats of clear block sanding w/ 800 grit then 3 more coats of clear. Wet sanding & buffing. I figured at least half of that is going to be material. The color is $500 a gallon. Its a PPGs vibrance color. Its like a candy color. Used with silver or gold base.

-
Back