Painting an engine

-

Rengo

Reaction score
I have had many conversations with people about painting a motor. One guy says to paint inside and out on the block before assembly, and another guy said to only paint the outside of the block.

Where do I need to paint and What brand of paint?
powder coat? or just raddle can?
360 stroker is going to be orange.

Thank you for your input.

I've seen people paint the inside of their block with rustoleum primer, I personally dont think its necessary.
As for the outside, a rattle can of engine high temp engine enamel will do the job. Summit or Jegs has many colors, or most parts stores have at least factory colors.
Hope this helps some.

doing the inside is so the oil returns better. some use rustoleum and others use the special stuff just for that.

as for the out side. if you want something that looks great and will last then spray gunb it on there. prime the motor with epoxy primer then paint it with a high solids poly urathane paint. that **** is some tough stuff.

5-11-05002.jpg

5-8-05001.jpg

5-11-05011.jpg

5-11-05010.jpg

5-11-05019.jpg

5-11-05017.jpg

5-17-05002.jpg

5-17-05001.jpg

Abodyjoe, I plan on making my block look simular to yours, orange block, silver heads and intake and black valve covers and oil pan. with headers. very nice and thank you. I am a ways from rebuilding, but getting close to having the block cleaned up.

doing the inside is so the oil returns better. some use rustoleum and others use the special stuff just for that.

Gotta echo what abodyjoe said. I've always just used rustoleum. The smoother surface aids in oil drainback. Just don't paint any machined surfaces inside the block!

-
Back