Painting dash a couple general questions

-

4spdragtop

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to redo the dash frame on my cuda and although practice makes perfect I dont want to do it twice!!LOL so I thought I would ask some ??? before I started. It is blk and in decent shape, but could use a repaint, so I am going to rattlecan it. Obviously I have to give her a bit of a scuff, so what are the suggestions on grit for the sandpaper, as well as the type or rattlecan paint to use. Also should I primer after scuffing and then scuff again?? Also there is some minor surface rust on the underside, should I sandblast that, or dont worry about it?? Like I said I want to do it right the 1st time. Thanks for all the input.

4spdragtop

I just redid mine. Took me 4x to get it right. LOL long story.

You can just hit with a scotchbrite pad(the brown one) and repaint. Primer is only needed if you are down to the metal. Clean good with prep sol cleaner or you could use some dish soap and water and then dry. For the back I would hit it with some OSPHO(phosphoric acid) and it would be fine. I stripped mine down to the metal and sprayed with some Dupont Emron I had around.

You didn't mention if you wanted original finish. My current project, the dash on my '68 cuda. has a textured, anti-glare finish. Is this the finish you want?

Hi guys, yes I am looking for original finish, and after hitting the inside with phosphoric acid, is a light scuff or cleaner required?

Thanks
4spd

Clean with wax and grease remover really well. I would use a semi-gloss and not gloss. Clean is the key,years of armour all and nicotine make nice fisheyes. good luck.

For the original textured finish, after prep, you should use SEM's clear texture coating #40853. Experiment with spray distances to achieve texture desired. Sanding after spraying additionally changes texture. Select correct paint sheen. Not flat, not semi-gloss but something in between, a semi-flat. Good luck, Murray.

Is the dash in or out of the car?

I would use a sealer once scuffed down. 3m pad or 600 grit wil work fine. If the dash is out I would do it with sanding soap and the 3m pad.

Hi guys, the dash is out of the car. TI got a couple of the 3m pads(brown ones) the resto guy gave me a can of Marhyde, satin finish spray bomb . I will try and track some of the SEM product down. Hey Rocco, what do you mean by sealer??
Thanks 4spdragtop

To preserve the dash, don't forget to at least kill the surface rust that usually accures on the inside of the dash. I use a brush-on liquid that kills the rust and leaves a primered surface. Then when painting the dash I put a light coat of paint on it. Seems like a lot of details for you, but is simple, you can do it.

x2 on Murray's rust removal suggestion. If you don't get rid of the rust on the inside of the assembly, it will eventually creep to or through the other side.

Good luck 4spd!!! Keep us posted and take lots of pics.

Thanks guys and gals, once the diff is back together, I will get started on the dash. Thanks for all the details, I will take lots of before, during and after pics. I dont want it to be an eyesore when its done, so I will try to do it right!!

-
Back