Painting dash frame

-

Caberocks

Reaction score
Anybody paint their dash frame inside the car? Just curious how it went getting everything masked off. I don't really want to take the frame out.

I've painted dashes. But with them removed.
I'd buy a detail gun to do it if you are doing it in the car if you don't have one.
This.

image_23250.jpg

What are you painting it with?
I've tried rattle can and plain enamel.
It's not hard enough when dry.
I wound up using automotive enamel.
But gloss is about all I could find in oil based paint.

Im going to do my dash eventually but gotta wait for the new house and bigger shop so I can do it over the winter.
A member on here painted the inside of the dash frame white and added led strip lights so he could see better when working under there.

Good luck!

I do understand the want to since there is sooooo much involved in dash R&R. I wouldn't try it though. If it goes bad and the dash has to come out after all, a lot of time, paper, and tape, was wasted.
In my opinion and experience, That time is better spent replacing the 2 under cowl seals, servicing wiper pivots and linkage, etc.., etc.., while the dash is out.

I painted mine in the car with SEM trim black. That paint kicks ***. Dries really fast and work very well for this application. It took about an hour and a half to mask everything (both pads were already off). If you're careful and take your time, it can be done.

Picture1128160651_1.jpg

The white behind is an awesome idea, wish I would have done that on mine when I had it coated.

This is mine using Nason paint from Oriley's.

2015_11_14_18_25_53.jpg

I do think painting the back white is a good idea.

Since the underside wasn't painted at all, rustoleum rust reformer primer might be needed. Anything better than nothing ?
I like to wrap white tape around some of the dangling harness connector too, like inst' panel connectors, so they are easier to locate. In fact... Many have a round connector at inst' panel. That connector has its locating key in the center, Which is about worthless. I super glue a short piece of zip tie on the outside diameter at same 12 oclock key position before wrapping with the white tape. I can now see and feel whats what.
I never finished out pilots/keys/guides for those straight line connectors on inst' panels ( this dart panel has 2 of the straight line connectors). I considered a plastic support wall w/ guide, something like PC motherboards have, just never did it.
Good luck

-
Back