Painting driveshaft?

-

Woody'sScamp

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi members, probably a rookie question, but I'll be dropping my driveshaft tomorrow for some under car work. Maybe I didn't look long enough, but I didn't find any threads about painting drive shafts here? I've got most of the bottom of the car all down to bare metal expect for the tunnel. (Only picture I have is from before I started.) Yeah, on my back, no money or room for a rotisserie! I've got a lot of time on my hands! I don't believe there is anything wrong with the driveshaft except for 42 years of rust. Do any members sand, wire wheel, or blast and repaint the drive shaft? If yes, suggestions? If no, please tell me why, trying to learn all I can. Thanks!

Muffler Hangers (1).jpg

Blasted and painting mine in epoxy semi gloss black. It is not correct as they were natural. But mine looked much like yours and any improvement made me happy.

E8A5E537-2342-4EE9-8FB1-AAF92AF229AB.jpeg

Go aluminum and polish/clear coat it

A friend of mine used a length of pvc pipe and capped one end. Soaked the drive shaft in evaporust overnight in the pipe and scrubbed it. Repeated as necessary until rust was gone. He painted it with gloss black engine paint, I believe. Looked really nice.

Unfortunately original 383 shafts are not easy to come by and making your original look decent is all the matters. I kept my yoke natural as well.

A friend of mine used a length of pvc pipe and capped one end. Soaked the drive shaft in evaporust overnight in the pipe and scrubbed it. Repeated as necessary until rust was gone. He painted it with gloss black engine paint, I believe. Looked really nice.

Did not consider that, I used evaporust a lot during resto, love that stuff and bought a 5 gallon bucket from Northern Tools. Filtered and re-used over and over. Still using it. Having a 20 gallon blaster and enough air compressor helps as well.

LMAO. When I first quickly glanced at your post, I thought I read that your friend used PVC pipe for a driveshaft and painted it. I thought "WHAT"??? Then I read it more carefully and laughed at myself for even thinking that.
FWIW, I like the Eastwood Cast Blast paint for pieces that you want to have a natural look.

-
Back