Painting one panel at a time?

-

sulery1

Hang 10er
Reaction score
I have a 74 Dart Sport that needs some body work & paint. I talked to a very reputable body guy about him doing the work. Due to the lack of funds to get it all done at once he suggested he do one panel at a time. He said he could repair the fenders first & then paint them. Then when I'm ready to do more such as the doors ect. He would do them in the same manner. He thought that painting them in sections would work. The paint will be a basic eggshell white. I would keep the paint in the meantime.
My question is: Has anyone done this to their car with good results?
I think I would rather he did the repairs & leave it in primer but he seems to think that painting them at the time of the repairs will keep them from rusting in between the time it will take to do the whole car. I am guessing it will take two years to get it done this way. It is always garaged & I have been finishing the undercarrage in my spare time. I can never seem to save enough money to get it all done at one time. I always seem to find n.o.s. parts that I can't pass up.

You could certainly do it that way. If it were a metallic paint I'd say no - too big a chance at a mismatch between panels down the road.

Personally I would never do it that way. I can relate to the no money thing. I am doing my Dart. It has been in the shop since Sept, and i work on it about once a week, so it is slow, I prime what i get done, and then move on to the next area. I will have it out this summer in primmer. I plan on doing the rest after the cruz season is over and hope to paint it next spring. But i would say if oyu want to do it one panel at a time just put a good epoxy or itching primmer on it. And drive it. I would think that if it takes you 2 years to do it the paint that is on there wqill fade some and not match like oyu hope.

I have been restoring muscle car's for over 20 year's, and i would never do it that way, even with a solid color. there are too many variables. air pressure,gun adjustment, temp,etc.... have him do the repair's and prime it, then paint the car at one time, but that's just my opinion. here is a couple i've done

IMG_0817.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

i'll have to agree...

dont do any of the painting a lil at a time...

i wont be an A$$ about it, but if the guy was a real paint and body guy he would never tell you to do it that way...

if anything do the body work, put it in primer.. and when you get the money buy your paint, clear and all your reducers and such and primer it one last time, block sand it, then shoot it with color...

if you do a lil bodywork and paint here and there, you'll get all kinds of mismatch and just be blowing your hard earned money.

Thank you all.
I have decided to keep saving & wait until I can get the rest of the body work done. I had the rear quarters replaced by a different body shop & am happy with their work. I will be going back to them.
I got a little suspicious with this guy when he did'nt know what N.O.S. means. He was recomended by a couple different people in the area & has been here for 20 years. It pays to do research & ask opinions before just jumping into something because it might save you a few bucks. Thanks again.
Project26.jpg

Project29.jpg

Project26.jpg

Project29.jpg

-
Back