Painting the race dart

-

nwdart

Reaction score
Her days of being painted Nissan blue are numbered! Going with the loud green that is on the new challengers. Right now the hood ,bumpers and deck lid are fiberglass and painted black and I like the contrast but I have some metallic silver left over from a different dart I like also. Hurt the 340 last summer and pulled it to do a 430 stroker motor ,ran the end of the season with a magnum crate motor and trans out of my 69 dart. So since the motor is coming out again thought it was time to get rid of the black engine bay and was not into painting it blue so seems like a good time to fix the sagging roof seam and twenty years of door dings . Will be done in my shop with the a100 and dart and motors and stuf and more stuff. Will plastic off the walls when I shoot the body with color. Washed it all up this afternoon and moved it into the center bay to start sanding.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 548
Got the hood used and it has no label on the inside to tell who made it . It may just look tall by the angle I took the pic. The scoop opening is 2 5/8 tall. Here is another pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 461
I removed the rear window this morning, it was the first time it was ever out ,had the vinyl top material still under it. Only 2 of the lower trim clip screws were compromised but I got them out. Northwest car in the garage forever and it showed ,the recessed window metal was perfect. Weather was dry today so I sanded down the old clear coats outside and saved a little mess in the shop. Did I mention how much of a treat it is to just do a color change and no rust repair! Can start taking the car apart this week after work and spraying the high build primer to get her blocked.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 433
Getting closer, and I am sick of sanding! Learning to paint is quite the challenge. Made a ton of mistakes and had to figure out how to fix. She is not perfect but very nice for a race car. Gonna do all the fiberglass parts underhood black, it is flat but you can wipe it off without the dust sticking. Been fun!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 387
I was skeptical when I saw the black and blue - looked good.. I was thinking why paint that ..if it ain't broke.... But damn man, that green looks fantastic.. keep the pics coming!!

Hi Rick, have not got to the turbo yet, 69 dart is still on roticciere waiting patiently. Plans change and change. Just got a couple sheets of lexan to make front and rear windows for the 71

Scampmike, the blue looked good from 10 foot but my truck and motor home are green. Seemed like a good excuse to me lol.

From Friday Harbor where do you race. And how is it trailering on the ferry. Just curious. I lived in Port Townsend when I was young.

Going to mission in canida first trip then Bremerton and woodburn. Ferry sucks but that's the price of living here, it's worth the trade off.

Nice! Good to see more vintage car owners,using the newer hues. An eye Turner,4 sure.

I'm not too sure about the graphics on the side but the green looks great.
Do you have a good side-shot photo?

It's a race car. paint needs to look good from 20' as far as I'm concerned. It is cool to have an "in use" color though and that is a wild one. In terms of black - if you use a flattener, or a spray bomb "semi flat" it's MUCH easier to wipe off than typical flat paints.

Cuda 20, will let you know when we go to mission. Still waiting to get the motor back from the machine shop. Do you know ken with the blue 68 gts that runs 10.50 pretty much on the number with his 340 stroker . About the paint scheme, that was done for me by me . Usually do the jambs and engine bay in my cars and pay for the exterior to be done. I gave it a shot and learned a lot. I painted the decklid and hood with the underhood black and it is not chalky. Next weekend will get the lexan in I hope . Just trying to inspire others. Nwdart

-
Back