Paper explination?

-

74dart

Reaction score
hpim1437j.jpg

What is this? Ive found two of these papers in my car so far, one was in my back seat springs and one was above my headliner.

It has my VIN number on it and other numbers, I worked out that the numbers are under certain things that the car came out with. but I don't have any numbers under seat belts and some other strange things.

Can anyone explain this to me a little bit?

The broadcast sheet shows the equipment and trim the car was built
with.

Cheers,
Drake

Well I have another question, because this says that my car did not come out with seatbelts.

Is it still a law that if your car did not come out with seat belts that you are not required to wear them?This is something my dad told me used to be a law and I was wondering if it is still a law and if someone could tell me where to get a copy of the law or check more into it.

Law aside just remember the old highway patrolman saying "you never have to unbuckle a dead guy"

Chrysler products had seat belts in '56 (as well as ford) and in '68 the government mandated that they were required on all cars. So yes your car had seat belts from the factory and yes they do save lives, it's just plain stupid not to wear one.

Your life is definitely worth the cost of installing some seatbelts, regardless of law.

Just so its clear, I understand the saftey, It is just a question.

The car could have been ordered from a dealership in another country (Canada for instance) where seat belts were still an option.

I think only the delux belts would be on the broadcast sheet.

If a previous owner installed seatbelts in the car, you would be required to wear them.
Only alternative would be to uninstall them.
People ask these seatbelt questions as if they are looking forward to argueing with the officer. That's not in his job desciption. Smile and take the ticket. Save your arguement for the judge.

Since seatbelts were required in BOTH the US and Canada by 1974, they were NOT optional on your Dart. Therefore they would be installed on all cars built for US or Canada, and therefore it would not be neccessary to have a code on the broadcast sheet indicatng they needed to be installed. The only time there would be one is if the seatbelt had a special option where a special type might have been ordered allowing the assembly line to ensure the special one was used. Or possibly if they were "deleted: from the build for some reason.

None of my broadcast sheets have a code here, and all have seatbelts.

Grant

This topic got me thinking.
Jaws, What are "deluxe" belts?

Grant, Would belts that were a color other than black show on the build sheet? and what colors of belts were offered?
I've only seen blue and black and possibly green but the memory is a little fuzzy :) ...

Im puttin whites in mine, out of a special edition, havent seen blue though.

and thank you everyone for straightening this out for me.

I am pretty sure that the color of the belts is part of the interior package, so the color would be predetermined by which interior color combo you chose. As far as colors, I have alos seen red and tan. 67DartGT340's are copper if I recall correctly (very sharp). On a 67 broadcast sheet I have for one of my old Barracudas, there is a box that allows the inclusion of a center belt (presume that was an option on front benches for that year).

Shoulder belts were optional on many earlier (to 72?), they may have been optional, however the cars I have do have, have them and they are not coded separately.

Grant

Since seat belts were standard, no code.

If the car was available with a seat belt upgrade, or seat belt delete (export only) then you would see a code in the box.

i belive that from 1973 - 1976 there was no black belts just dark navy blue, I have never seen a black set of seat belts in a 73-76 swinger or sport also remember that 73 was the last year you got the two piece seat belt, 1974 started the one piece lap/shoulder belt with the need to fasten your seat belts to start the car

Definitely a cool history lesson in this thread.
I think the "blue" ones are faded black, the real blue ones I've seen have blue rubber bases where they mount to the floor. I've got black ones from a 75 ( retractable shoulder and lap ) in my 73 and they are a smidgen faded in places that make them look a little like navy blue, but down inside the retractors they are black.

to answer the other seat belt question
if the car did not come with seat belts when new and was built prior to the federal seat belt requirement then you dont need them

to answer the other seat belt question
if the car did not come with seat belts when new and was built prior to the federal seat belt requirement then you dont need them

no you do not need to put them in if before the law and the car didn't come with them. atleast thats how it is in jersey.

i belive that from 1973 - 1976 there was no black belts just dark navy blue, I have never seen a black set of seat belts in a 73-76 swinger or sport also remember that 73 was the last year you got the two piece seat belt, 1974 started the one piece lap/shoulder belt with the need to fasten your seat belts to start the car

Ya owning a 74 Ive heard some interesting things about the seat belt safety lock. about your car not starting, Ive heard that if you dont have the seatbelt wires and seat wires hooked up your engine wont start, but mine haven't been hooked up and my motor starts up just fine.

My 73 Sport has no codes under the seat belt section on the broadcast sheet.

And my belts are black, just like the seats.

-
Back