Parents influence on what brand you owned?

-

moparspares

Reaction score
Was thinking about this today. My father owned only Chrysler and General Motors products and now his sons own the same. My self and one brother only own Chrysler stuff but one of my other brothers owns only GM stuff and the other brother owns both Chrysler and GM stuff. None of us have owned Fords ever and neither has my father. Not to say there is anything wrong with fords, but parents tastes do rub off on their children.

Intersested to hear stories if you went totally opposite to what your parents drove or you just followed tradition.

My brother follows my Dads side and wants a Ford and I take after my Mothers side and own only Mopars. Grandfather has a '68 Barracuda Formula S drag car, '71 Duster Twister and some other Mopars and I have a '69 Dart GTS 340/4spd car, '84 Dodge Rampage for a Daily Driver and a '28 Rat rod with a "mostly stock" 318/727.

Dad was not brand loyal, except for the trucks he had for his business. And even then not really. Basically all Ford trucks. Bought one new GMC and what a nightmare it was. Bought a used Chevy, I fell out of it, passenger door would not stay shut, twice in 2 days. It got parked out in a field with the signed title and keys in it. He had 2 Datsuns that were his drivers. But we also had a Cortina (I think), a Pontiac wagon, a Plymouth Wagon, a Duster and a Buick Regal. I ma not really brand loyal, if the wife would have let me put a T-bolt hood on the Fairlane I would have never bought the Dart....

I've always had this saying " my Dad drove Chevys so naturally I drive mopars" LOL. I grew up around GM products and found Chrysler engineering a breath of fresh air. There were a couple fords owned by my siblings but that didn't last long. My father always panned fords so I wonder how much that influenced our choices later in life. The one person in my life who was a mopar guy was my uncle .I remember He drove a BB Dart at one time, later it was wagons but He had some cool mopars back in the day.

My parents and grandparents were GM folks. I did have a Aunt and Uncle that were Mopar people, even owned their 69' Coronet for a while. Basically i made my own choices even though i've owned just about every american brand over the years. Mopars have always been my favorite, but as a young man i had ADD when it came to cars. I just couldn't pass up a deal regardless of brand, even though i didn't keep any very long.

Dad wasn't very brand loyal, either. 53? Ford, 54 Nash, 60 Merc, 60 Pontiac (good car) 62 Ponch, along the way, an old 50's Stude PU, couple of old GM/ Chev pickups, and a 55 Nash Rambler, great little car for what it was, and a 55 Chev wagon, which was the first car I drove before I got my first 57. The '55 wagon had a 5 cyl not a typo. FIVE

66 Poncho, then in 78? he bought a disaster, a brand new V6 Bleauck, a lemon from the start. For the parts store, started with an old A100 Dodge, then a new Chevy Van 74? good rig. I think after the 78 Bleuck came the 86 Dodge 600, loaded for what it was. Along that time a Jeep pu to pull a camp trailer, then a Ford pu to pull a larger one.

First two years in the Navy, boot camp and electronics schools, I had no car.

for once in my life i'm not the Black sheep of the family....my sister is a mustang nut....not sayin i didn't build her a dart or two along the years but she's just luvvin on her mustangs

Starting as far back as I can remeber, my dad's parents (Grandpa and Grandma) had a beautiful 1948 Packard, straight 8. My mom's folks (Nana and Papa) had a Desoto. Papa was a salesman for Salt Lake City Hardware, and he had the whole state of Nevada as his territory. I remember going with him on a couple of trips, always a fishing pole and 12 Ga. shotgun in the trunk and a pistol under his seat. I remember going with my dad when he bought a used '52 Plymouth. Over the years he had a '64 Valiant, a couple of ramblers, and bought a '66 Plymouth Belvedere Wagon off the showroom floor. He bought me a '57 Ford 4 door for my first car when I turned 16 (I had to pay for the insurance, of course). What my dad didn't know was when I was 15 I bought a '56 Dodge with a little hemi in it for $10.00 from a friend that couldn't get it to run (Vacuum leak, easy deal).

After about a year with the '57 ford and converting it to a stick, I found another '57 ford 2 dr. post. I built up the 312 and put a Paxton on it with a top loader 4 speed. That didnt' last too long.

When I got out of the Navy in 1970, I went back to work for the phone company and bought a cherry 1967 Plymouth Belvedere 1 2 door post with a 273/904. It didn't take long to start building it up. At one time I had the Belvedere, a '67 Baracuda fastback, and a '63 Valiant 2 door post for street racing. It went 12.80 at Riverside with a redone 273/4 speed.

Since then I've had several Valiants, Darts, Dusters, another Baracuda, and a Cordoba. My '65 Valiant got T-boned by a '67 Mustang when my daughter was driving it in high school (I got it for her from my dad for $1.00), so I found my current '66 Valiant 2 door post shell for $500.00 up in Auburn, CA. I had it completely upholstered after I found some bitchen bucket seats for it, stuffed the 273 in it from the '65, had it painted and turned it over to my daughter. That lasted about two years. After sever scrapes and a minor fender bender, I took it back from her and bought her a little Ranger pickup. The Valiant has set in the garage at my other house for about 12 years. My youngest son talked me into dragging it out of retirement earlier this year. I've been driving it every since. Right now the heater box is on my workbench getting rebuilt.

The Valiant has the 273 from the '65 T-boned Valiant in it, which I rebuilt for my dad in 1985. It has a 904 with a Transgo ll kit in it, 8.75 with 3.23 Sure Grip and KH disc's up front. I don't know how to post pictures, but Leanna has a couple maybe she'll post some for me.

Anyway, I've always like the A bodies. I even worked for Chrysler and they sent me to some classes around 1972 or 1973 or so. I also worked for a while at Keith Black Racing Engines. My oldest son lives in New Mexico and is a mechanic and is looking at a '67 Baracuda he wants to buy, and my youngest son has been building the motors for Gary Densham's funny car for about 8 years or so now. Guess I kept the Mopar blood in the family.

This turned into a damn book, didn't mean to do that, sorrry. I didn't even cover all the bases.

Russ.

my dad was mr goodwrench until he retired,mom likes vettes, brothers are all chevy.i've had eery brand of american car built up. mopars are the most durable for me.:burnout::burnout:eek:h yeah did build a celica with a 5.0 and a 5 spd. shoulda put in a teener....

My dad and uncle are Mopar fanatics. My favorite vehicle growing up was a 76 Dodge W-200 pickup that we took hunting and fishing. That truck made me love Mopars. We had suburbans growing up though because I have 3 siblings. Daddy has only owned 1 non mopar driver that I can remember, an 01 GMC 3/4 ton with 8.1L v8 to haul his skidsteer. He never liked small diesel trucks. My uncle loves Jeeps (Willy's), along with Chrysler products, an will not even ride in a Ford. He says that every Ford he has ever ridden in has made him sick to the stomach. I guess my daddys family did influenced my preferences for car brand.

My Grandfather owned the Chrysler-Plymouth Dealership in town from '68 til 89. My Fathers owned all three of the major brands but has sticked to mostly Ma-Mopar, currently has a Saturn and a '85 Mustang. I wouldn't mind owning certain cars from Ford or GM but the list is very very small...when id own just about anything mopar, and have only owned all mopars so far

168673_1831947285086_4333523_n.jpg

Great photo, I got a big smile seeing the Plymouth Crickets.Talk about a little tin box. I wonder how many survived ?
My dad started it all back in 1943 with a 36 Plymouth while dating my future mom.
3 sons,1 daughter.We all drove mopars,My 2 older brothers moved to Chevys in the 70's but came back to mopars to date.My dad's last car before he died was a 2000 Neon.

Pops always drove Mopars, I used his 66 Barracuda for my drivers test

My dad's side of the family always owned GM. Later on in life, my parents owned Ford and Lincoln. Then even later, Jeep and now Cadillac. Unfortunately, a couple years ago they purchased a used Honda minivan; I still can't believe that one. I keep trying to talk them into getting rid of it and getting a Chrysler minivan.

We always had Chrysler vehicles all not new mind you , because there was 10 in our family , and my my father reat his sole was a Chrysler mechanic.

My dad was Ford. Never owned anything else. I always knew something was wrong with him.

I have owned everything from a 51 Ford truck to Vegas. But my brand is MOPAR!!

My kids were raised in Mopars. My oldest son came home from the hospital in a 72 Newport, my daughter in a 74 Dart, and my youngest in a Dakota.

But it must skip a generation because both of my sons got into Mustangs. (The shame)

Pop was brand loyal to a point. He liked his Jeeps as family trucksters and Ford pick-up for his businesses.

Then he got the Duster back in the '80's (still in the family - check the link in my sig and read the story on it) and went basically all Mopar. Got the rest of the family going on Mopars, too.

But, as he's gotten older, the strictly brand loyal thing has fallen to the way side, especially as to what's been affordable. He's got a '92 Aerostar AWD Eddie Bauer package, mint condition that's been a great van for him. And he loves his Neon. Both were given to him. So when you take that into account, the loyalty truly is to the pocketbook, not the brand. He has the '54 Ford because we were able to cut a deal on it and it was something which reminded him of his youth.

Personally, any more, my loyalty has fallen to what I know. As a former Ford tech, when it came time to replace my Ramcharger, getting an older F150 seemed natural. The same way when it came time for Sarah to select a car all her own. I worked for Hyundai, I know 'em. She liked the car, we bought it.

Of course, there's the F250 I have, but that was Grandad's brand loyalty. I have the truck now, and that's pretty much a loyalty to the truck (since it's been loyal to my family) and in honor and memorial of my grandad. If Grandad had bought a Dodge or Chevy, I'd be treating it the same way.

When it comes to me building my toys, though, I prefer to build Mopar. Not a big fan of the Ford and GM offerings during the musclecar era, though there are a few I'd take if someone threw me the keys.

My whole family are mopar fans they have owned allot of different brands but when it come to muscle only mopar my dad drag raced mopars for 20 years

I have always liked cars ever since I was 2-3 years old.As a kid I like all brands.My Father took me to the Mopar Nats in 1984 and I have been hooked on Mopars ever since.Fell in love with the 67-68 Barracudas,66-70 Chargers,and the 69 Road runner first....

Jim

My Dad was/is a Chevy guy...always had a big block Wagon (except for his 57 283 w dual quads) in the garage. My Grandpa drove nothing but AMCs. I was a GM car and Jeep 4x4 guy until 97 when I bought my Dakota 4x4. Mopar addiction started in 2011 with the puchase of our Duster project.

Pat

My grandfather and father were die ford thru and thru [except while the company was furnishing lease cars oldsmobiles]. I started with a mopar [roadrunner 68] then owned different brands [except mopar] till 95 when i returned and have owned nothing but mopars since. My son is a mustang lover [i tell folks that defects skip a generation] but he and i are building a 73 charger for him.

I am only 12 but my parents have owned Ford,Hyundai,and Nissan.
I guess because my neighbor has a 1965 Coronet 500 conv. that was always fun to ride in and he has only ever owned MOPAR and taught me that MOPAR is best and I have hated every Chevy and Ford product...I guess I self-taught myself to hate anything else.

-
Back