Parking Antique Ramp Truck on Residential Property

-

SuperStock

Reaction score
20170306_122909.jpg

Just bought this beautiful ramp truck, 1979 D30 flatbed. Park in my driveway, gentlemen said from Department of public works told me Tow truck is not allow to park on driveway of my house, and ask me to move it into garage.

How do you guys parking your tow truck in your property?
Anyone know about parking regulation, would you give some advice?

Tell them it's an antique, your driveway, get off your property, you love guns, have a friend with a backhoe, and go to hell.

Or is that just how I would respond?

Local ordinances can be a pain
Have the guy cite you exactly where you are in offence, then look for the proper response (which may be as simple as keeping plates on it)

Sound good, lol.

I just bought this single house after years dealing with Home Association in my town house. Thought in my new property I can play with my toys but this, frustrating! I ready need advice to fight back, cant park on my property? althought I always try to follow regulation but this is sound stupid to me

Could be he (or neighbors) think it's for a commercial towing business rather than your hobby.

I would simply tell them to kiss my ***. It's private property and the thing is plated and insured. Make them either **** or STFU

Cool looking truck!
I have to agree with diymirage.
Have them show you the ordinance in black and white. And be cool about! No sense in pissing some body off it can only make things worse.
If your going to use it as a business that may make a big difference.

And be cool about! No sense in pissing some body off it can only make things worse.

this is a big one
sure, its your property, but it is their town, big dog little dog you know?

i had a similar issue a while ago
the place i was living was zoned a certain way and there was a local ordinance prohibiting "major vehicle repairs in the driveway"
at the time i was replacing the engine in my duster (not really major to us, but i can see how not everyone feels that way)

well, i got a notice from the city, stating i was in violation and that i had until a certain date to have the car put back together or moved into the garage

rather them crumbling it up grumping "aint nobody gonna tell me what to do" i picked up the phone and called the city and asked where i was in violation
i then explained i wasnt running a business, and told them when i was expecting the parts to come in and when i was planning on getting the car back together

he gave me an extension to get everything done, and even gave me some pointers on how to "keep up appearances" to keep the neighbors happy

this is a big one
sure, its your property, but it is their town, big dog little dog you know?

i had a similar issue a while ago
the place i was living was zoned a certain way and there was a local ordinance prohibiting "major vehicle repairs in the driveway"
at the time i was replacing the engine in my duster (not really major to us, but i can see how not everyone feels that way)

well, i got a notice from the city, stating i was in violation and that i had until a certain date to have the car put back together or moved into the garage

rather them crumbling it up grumping "aint nobody gonna tell me what to do" i picked up the phone and called the city and asked where i was in violation
i then explained i wasnt running a business, and told them when i was expecting the parts to come in and when i was planning on getting the car back together

he gave me an extension to get everything done, and even gave me some pointers on how to "keep up appearances" to keep the neighbors happy
I see a lot of them down here and on the bottom of the doors is painted "for private use only". could you find out if that would be acceptable in your area? if that doesn't work maybe you could register it as an antique vehicle?

worst case scenario, you can plant some conifers on the bed, and call it a lawn ornament

Sound good, lol.

I just bought this single house after years dealing with Home Association in my town house. Thought in my new property I can play with my toys but this, frustrating! I ready need advice to fight back, cant park on my property? althought I always try to follow regulation but this is sound stupid to me

Find out if your insurance has to make your policy commercial. If so that may be the sticking point right there. I had an issue with a commercial box truck and parking it on my property years ago. I doubt you can put Antique tags on it.

Let's be honest. Most people with trucks like that have intentions of hauling vehicles for profit. A Rollback can stick out like a sore thumb just because of that. Take the high road with whomever you speak with because if they want to get nasty over it then you might as well cut your losses and plan on parking it somewhere else....

Good luck,
JW

Exactly this. You need to find out what the ordinances are where you live. Example; before I bought my car I looked up what I needed to do in order to keep it, I looked up the city ordinance. That is what you need to do. To hell with the neighbor, he probably don't know the exact wording either. That is your job, to find out the exact wording.

That is why I love where I live. 10 acres with 2 semi trailers, parts cars,shop several sheds. 2 enclosed trailers 2 open trailers and NO problems!

Ditto on finding out the ordinances, and being on the right side. I came home one day to find my 67 chebbie gone. The HOA parking nazi had it towed because it didn't have an inspection sticker on it. Not required for a 67. They ended up paying the towing both ways, storage, and my attorney fees before it was over. They decided to settle before court.

Ditto on finding out the ordinances, and being on the right side. I came home one day to find my 67 chebbie gone. The HOA parking nazi had it towed because it didn't have an inspection sticker on it. Not required for a 67. They ended up paying the towing both ways, storage, and my attorney fees before it was over. They decided to settle before court.
I just love it when the little guy wins! HOA = Nazi's

I bought the truck last week, it didnt have license plate on it that time. That is probably why he left the note for me last Saturday.
I met him today, show him an Antique license for it. He still stick with his gun, not allow. Not allow commercial truck in residential property make sense, but mine is Antique vehicle. Is there a law require home owner to hide Antique into garage? Car look good, not a junker.

20170306_122934.jpg

20170306_124025.jpg

At this point, you need to appeal to that mans boss. I had a problem years ago getting the county to sign off on an existing water well on my property. Without it I couldn't get a CO,so that the power company would hook up to my new house. I made a call to my Representatives office, Explained my issue, with in 1 day I had power!

If it's not for hire, it's not commercial, it's private. Tell him to cram it up his ***.

Guy from the dept of public works? He should be fixing the road.
Talk to the Burke zoning and code enforcement department. They know the rules. Theoretically.

Perhaps if you customize the front and both sides of it a little bit to make it less commercial he might be able to get away with it. I like it, but if I was not into the car hobby I would probably be concerned that someone was bringing their business truck home or running a business out of their home.

Guy from the dept of public works? He should be fixing the road.
Talk to the Burke zoning and code enforcement department. They know the rules. Theoretically.

I moved to Manassas VA.
20170306_183927.jpg

Just look at some guidance he gave me today. In the last paragraph, it state:".. tow truck cannot be parked or stored in any residential neighborhood or on lot less than 10 acres in agricultural districts."
How do we interpret the above statement correctly?

Does prohibited only apply to residential neighborhood less than 10 acres in agricultural districts, or on lot less than 10 acres in agricultural districts? Any other home that are not agricultural district will be allowed?

My home zoning is "Suburban Residential".

I agree with OMR. That, and that you've been warned, probably gives them the right to remove it at your expense.

-
Back