Parking Antique Ramp Truck on Residential Property

-
IF it does in fact turn out you are in violation, then try for a variance. If rejected and depending how deep your pockets are appeal it.

I am on the "Board of Zoning Adjustments" for our town. Check to see if you have one for your city. Bet you do. You may try requesting a hearing before them.

That is why I love where I live. 10 acres with 2 semi trailers, parts cars,shop several sheds. 2 enclosed trailers 2 open trailers and NO problems!
don`t sound right to me. public works around here are just city workers, I used to be one in one of the water plants. they have nothing to say about things like that, wrong agency !! maybe an inspector or some one who can serve a summons.

Ask to see the definition of "tow truck" ?
Would removing the "towing apparatus" from the truck make it legal?
And are any of your neighbors parking "tow trucks" on their property?
I bet you could find a few vehicles towing sea doos, fishing boats, lawnmower trailers, campers, etc.,does that make them "tow trucks" ?
I hope you get to keep the truck, without moving!

Our DMV defines a tow truck as "...used in the business of transporting vehicles..." If your not getting paid, as in not for hire, It may get you by? We also exclude "auto dismantler and repossesor tow vehicles" as tow trucks...?
I drive my Telephone L90 service body truck home every night and I paid 10 years of service to earn that right. That would be a bummer if code enforcement told me I couldn't (then I would get that brand new RAM bucket truck...:) I also have a 2 years in the rears Mazda pickup parked off my driveway in the weeds that I have not got dinged for either...BUT I had my Cuda in my driveway on front jackstands for 2 days waiting on my rotors and I got a warning! Whatever.....My neighbor paved 2 long cement pads his front side-yard and parks his motorhome on it. My friend used to drive his Cable van home and he had to cover the company name so he bought some white magnetic sheets and covered up at night.

The 2 previous post are the points I want to use for fighting back. I want to point out to the guys my truck was tow-truck, but it is antique vehicle now.

Antique vehicle by DMV definition cannot be tow-truck because when applying for antique, I did sign a agreement with DMV that I cannot use this truck for daily driver, towing, go to grocery store etc; that antique license should overdrive the truck towing ability.

Any code enforcement member here? Is my point valid?

Last edited:
Ditto on finding out the ordinances, and being on the right side. I came home one day to find my 67 chebbie gone. The HOA parking nazi had it towed because it didn't have an inspection sticker on it. Not required for a 67. They ended up paying the towing both ways, storage, and my attorney fees before it was over. They decided to settle before court.
should have insisted they be tried criminally for auto theft

should have insisted they be tried criminally for auto theft
I let my lawyer deal with it. The letter contained phrases such as " You have used your position on the board to attack me personally" "loss of use" "damages to the vehicle while in storage" Atty. fees etc. Prior to calling the Atty I even went down to his house with printed copies from DMV showing vehicles prior to 69 weren't subject to inspection, and even if I wanted to they wouldn't inspect it. He thought he "had" me. He was sent the letter directly and sat on it until the monthly meeting. The next day I got a call from the pres of the HOA while at work. Referred him to the atty for discussion as I'm being represented. When I got home the C10 was sitting in the driveway. lol

You got antique tags, your local laws states it cannot be used for business etc. I would also add small decals with nice looking lettering that says
"private vehicle not for hire"

-
Back