parking light question

-

Sc2ner

Reaction score
I have a 64 V-100 Valiant. The parking lights and turn signals work. But when I turn the headlights on they go out. The turn signals still work with the headlights on. I heard some older cars that's how they work.

Sounds normal to me. If you look at your headlight switch, there are separate park and tail switch connections. All Ma did in 70 'er whenever they started holding the park lights on with headlights is move the park wire from the original switch terminal over to the tail terminal.

I like having the front parking lights on with the headlight myself. On the 64 Barracuda, the parking light stays on with the headlights.

The "always on" parking lights was a unique feature of the Barracuda in early years, over all manufacturers as I recall. That was a way for fish owners to recognize each other at night and give a secret sign. As 273 says, you can easily upgrade and I recall a post with photos in the last year. Indeed, I am currently repairing my 64 Valiant harness and will do so.

I personally prefer the way chrysler did it. I like how much contrast there is between the lamp being completely dark and then suddenly being on. I feel that it is too hard to see the front turn signals on many modern cars because of the lack of contrast combined with headlamp intensity. On the old stuff there was no question it was dark and then (kinda) bright. I am not positive but I recall reading that the lighting legislation for front running lights with headlamps was 1967 US model year cars, but I could be wrong.

The new lighting rules governing parking lamp function and color (amber), and mandated side marker lamps kicked in for 1968 model year.

The new lighting rules governing parking lamp function and color (amber), and mandated side marker lamps kicked in for 1968 model year.
And since then, most people have termed them "running lights" instead of "parking lights".

My M-B 300D's are even weirder. You can leave it with just the left-side parking lights on (or just the rights). Some strange signalling thing Germans must do. Problem is, to turn off all lights you must leave the rotary switch in the top position, not full left which will run down the battery. Personally, I see no value in being able to leave any lights on with the key out of the ignition, except maybe the hazard flashers.

-
Back