Part for manual control of the idle speed from inside.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
This is the part that will do what I want as discussed in this thread.
To separate the idle cam from the choke

Took me a couple of hours to build it and one 180 degree turn of the knob gives me about .030 of cable travel (should be about perfect) and will mount under the dash on the passenger side of the steering column.
Turn right and cable extends to lift the idle cam on the carb, turn left and it retracts.
The choke will not be involved at all when using this, and will work totally normal when not using it.

The camera sure messes up the look of the carbon fiber covering.:D

SANY0022.JPG

SANY0024.JPG

SANY0023.JPG

Last edited:
How is the other end going to work? I hope you don't stick it on fast idle and run someone over.

How is the other end going to work? I hope you don't stick it on fast idle and run someone over.

Now would I do that?:D
The other end will use a nylon tip to lift the idle cam weighted end on my Holley Avenger.
This is only for semi small variations of the idle speed at any given time, so holding open enough to get away isn't going to happen.
That's one reason the control is so minuscule in the travel at the cable.
I noticed in my first post I said 180 turn is .030 but it is 360 turn is .030 cable travel.
The other reason I did it this way is because I wanted a dial instead of stupid looking bulky push/pull like a choke cable, so I had to build something apparently no one makes.

Probably won't even see it under the hood either, as it will come through the firewall behind the air cleaner and up under the passenger side of the carb, lubed and be slid inside a piece of 3/16 vacuum tubing.
Should be pretty much invisible.

So what’s the point? Fast idle for quicker warm ups?

For those times when it's warm enough for the choke to be open but the engine isn't cold enough to set the high idle for one.
It seems I'm always opening the hood to set the high idle up in the mornings and I don't want to add choke doing it.
One other main reason is I like my in gear idle to be higher but not keep it that high when in neutral.

The Holley high idle cam is technically physically separate from the choke, but I would still have to pop the hood to set it up on the first step of the idle cam.
Most wouldn't pay it much mind, but I'm kinda strange like that.:D

For those times when it's warm enough for the choke to be open but the engine isn't cold enough to set the high idle for one.
It seems I'm always opening the hood to set the high idle up in the mornings and I don't want to add choke doing it.
One other main reason is I like my in gear idle to be higher but not keep it that high when in neutral.

The Holley high idle cam is technically physically separate from the choke, but I would still have to pop the hood to set it up on the first step of the idle cam.
Most wouldn't pay it much mind, but I'm kinda strange like that.:D
Yeah when I was reading your first post I was thinking “only Trailbeast would come up with something like that”
:poke: :D I like stuff like this though. Lol

Yeah when I was reading your first post I was thinking “only Trailbeast would come up with something like that”
:poke: :D I like stuff like this though. Lol

Right?:D
I also designed a new way of connecting a line lock to the brake lights without having to cut into any brake lines. (takes about 10 min to install.)
Been running it on my car for years and it works flawless.
I helped one person on here with the wiring to make his horn be the line lock button when at the tracks but be able to switch it and the horn button be the horn when not at the track.
Novel idea on his part to want to set it up that way.

-
Back