Part Question for Auto Trans Gurus

-

RogerRamRod

The Older I Get, The Faster I Was
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
About 7 months ago, I took apart my transmission watching a video posted by @67Dart273, very detailed tear down & rebuild, though the guy was working on a 518, & mines an A500.
Now many months and a short memory later, I got it back together but I have 1 part left over.
I don’t know if it came out of the transmission, or was something in the rebuild kit to cover other models.
I don’t know the proper name, but it is a twice around snapping.
I’ve re-watched the video a couple times, found another video specific to the 42RH, and looked at exploded diagram on Transpartsonline, but I can’t seem to pinpoint if it belongs in there.
I’d rather figure it out now while I still have the Transmission opened up.
It’s very close in size to the front pump seal, so I pulled the pump out, but before I take the pump apart again, I was hoping if somebody could tell me if it belongs in there, or maybe someplace else.
Thanks if you have any input

IMG_3911.jpeg

IMG_3912.jpeg

I have not worked either one of those transmissions, possible sun gear to shell snap ring,
piston to drum snap ring? other option any of your friends playing a trick on you?
I dislike left over parts, I once left out a torque converter after bolting up complete trans and then as always install last, T/C bolts and found it missing.

That looks like a spiral snap ring but I have not seen one in any of the Mopar transmissions I have done. I have seen them in brand X.

Here is a good site to see the exploded view of the a500. I don't see any spiral snap rings in the picture.

FYI many rebuild kits have extra parts because the kit is used for multiple years of transmissions.

@monc440 Here is a good site to see the exploded view of the a500.…yeah, thats the one I was looking at
I was figuring on the “extra parts” concept, but I thought I was careful about keeping the new parts separated. But it was a good number of months
@moparlvr166 all good suggestions, but I guess I won’t know unless I go through it all again. leftover parts bug me out just for this reason. Not so much on most things, but somewhere something can go drastically and costly wrong after you’ve done a ****-ton of work, arrrggg
My neighbor did say he came over while I was out of town and rearranged some stuff for me, lol, but I’m sure he was pulling my leg.
“I have not worked either one of those transmissions”—— other than the overdrive, the front half is essentially a 998 variant of the A904. So much so that I also bought Tom Hand’s book on rebuilding the 727 & 904. Don’t see that ring in there either, nor in the ATSG A500 manual.

Last edited:
That looks like a spiral snap ring but I have not seen one in any of the Mopar transmissions I have done. I have seen them in brand X.

Here is a good site to see the exploded view of the a500. I don't see any spiral snap rings in the picture.
[/URL]

FYI many rebuild kits have extra parts because the kit is used for multiple years of transmissions.
I agree, never seen a spiral snap ring in any Mopar trans I have done. Looks like a GM snap ring from a TH400

Thank You all for your input. I feel comfortable that I can proceed based on your helpful advice. I don’t have any idea where that ring came from, maybe the guy that built it before they went out of business. Could be why Im needing to fix it myself.
Let you know how it works out, but it might not be right away.

-
Back