Parts Cache

-
My buddy sold me some old auto part store adjustable shelves. Man are they nice. All metal and can hold a ton.

Gorilla rack is nice too. Bought me a few of them on the cheap at a moving sale.

My buddy sold me some old auto part store adjustable shelves. Man are they nice. All metal and can hold a ton.

Gorilla rack is nice too. Bought me a few of them on the cheap at a moving sale.

I bought the ones from Sam’s club, they are 220 and have a 2500lb capacity per shelf.

IMG_6932.png

IMG_5918.jpeg

In Missouri, you will likely get condensation on parts in that uninsulated sheet-metal building, unless protected in sealed bins. I got slight rust on tools in my detached garage in Atlanta, and it was fairly stable temperature with concrete block, half in the earth and insulated roof. If you plan to flip parts, it can take many years to connect with a buyer. If not local, buyers might balk at high shipping costs. On craigslist, you must refresh the ads every 30 days and if close to the end, they often lose your photos so must reload those to the ad. Nice to have parts, but can get out of hand. I'm in "get rid of stuff" mode the last few years.

Keep air moving in the parts storage, if its humid parts can rust I put a ceiling fan in and its always on and makes little difference in the electric bill

A small dehumidifier would be a better choice. 40-50% RH is a good target. I have maintained my collections of "stuff"for years that way. Good luck!

Keep air moving in the parts storage, if its humid parts can rust I put a ceiling fan in and its always on and makes little difference in the electric bill
It is the swings in temperature which cause condensation. If the metal gets cool at night, water vapor may condense on it in the morning. I even get condensation dripping inside a metal carport roof in Sacramento the morning after a cold, clear night in the more humid Winter. Less now that I put solar panels on one side, which blocks the roof from seeing the cold blackness of Space. Air movement likely helps, as MILO uses.

Do you have the storage space, if not what will it cost to get space?
Do you want to sell parts and spend time away from family or have them join in?
Looks like a great stash of parts. if you purchase all have him include all shelving units.
I'm realistic-cheap, I look for deals at 25-30% of retail due many reasons I'm sure other will agree on. Enjoy the ride.
I agree, the key is having a place to store it.

Great qu
Do you have the storage space, if not what will it cost to get space?
Do you want to sell parts and spend time away from family or have them join in?
Looks like a great stash of parts. if you purchase all have him include all shelving units.
I'm realistic-cheap, I look for deals at 25-30% of retail due many reasons I'm sure other will agree on. Enjoy the ride.
great question - been in the same spot as well....

In Missouri, you will likely get condensation on parts in that uninsulated sheet-metal building, unless protected in sealed bins. I got slight rust on tools in my detached garage in Atlanta, and it was fairly stable temperature with concrete block, half in the earth and insulated roof. If you plan to flip parts, it can take many years to connect with a buyer. If not local, buyers might balk at high shipping costs. On craigslist, you must refresh the ads every 30 days and if close to the end, they often lose your photos so must reload those to the ad. Nice to have parts, but can get out of hand. I'm in "get rid of stuff" mode the last few years.

Will be getting the big shops trusses redone and then will finish insulating it soon. It has a big shop fan in it now. I’ll also be adding an air conditioning/dehumidifying system in the big shop. I have a smaller insulated shop that will probably house all of the parts….

A small dehumidifier would be a better choice. 40-50% RH is a good target. I have maintained my collections of "stuff"for years that way. Good luck!

I’ll grab a couple of dehumidifiers for the smaller shop.

I’ll be picking up the parts next weekend. This weekend had to get racks and finish a chicken coop. Almost done with the coop, and didn’t get any racks yet lol, I’ll go to Sam’s club in a bit.

Edited because I forgot to add- I have to get a trailer before picking up the parts. So on Friday I’ll go buy a trailer, I need one anyways to be able to haul my car to the shop, tractor in for service and lawnmower for service. I’m thinking a 10-12k flatbed hauler will suffice.

IMG_6976.jpeg

IMG_6977.jpeg

A flatbed car trailer will work, if you don't need the car enclosed while moving it. I bought a big one (Class III hitch) to move all our stuff xcountry from CA to GA in 1994. I added 2x4 stake walls, using existing pockets for them on the sides. Pulled it with our 1965 Chrysler. Rear-ended late-night in AZ on I-40. The Trooper suggested "your fault for driving too slow on my highway" and didn't cite the other driver for no insurance. Probably because he had NM tags vs our CA tags. Trooper definitely had an attitude, likely because my wife is Pacific so he assumed Hispanic ("driving while brown" AZ violation). Check MO license fees. MS is the nicest state since trailers require no tag (still?). CA was so pricey that I sold a little trailer I had since the annual tag fee was about what I paid for the trailer new.

A flatbed car trailer will work, if you don't need the car enclosed while moving it. I bought a big one (Class III hitch) to move all our stuff xcountry from CA to GA in 1994. I added 2x4 stake walls, using existing pockets for them on the sides. Pulled it with our 1965 Chrysler. Rear-ended late-night in AZ on I-40. The Trooper suggested "your fault for driving too slow on my highway" and didn't cite the other driver for no insurance. Probably because he had NM tags vs our CA tags. Trooper definitely had an attitude, likely because my wife is Pacific so he assumed Hispanic ("driving while brown" AZ violation). Check MO license fees. MS is the nicest state since trailers require no tag (still?). CA was so pricey that I sold a little trailer I had since the annual tag fee was about what I paid for the trailer new.

Yeah I’m just going to get a flatbed, that will be able to haul all my crap. An enclosed would be nice but wouldn’t be able to haul the tractor anywhere.

You can store a lot of parts on shelves of the type you referenced. I think I bought mine from Lowes or HD. They rescued me from a lot of clutter.

IMG_0181.jpg
IMG_0186.jpg

Picking everything up tomorrow. :thumbsup:

It’s raining really heavy out here currently so I rented a 6x12 enclosed trailer to move everything tomorrow. It may end up taking an extra trip, but at least everything will stay out of the rain and dry.

Any advice for things to ask or look for when I’m picking it up? He said he would packed it all back up and try to label it as best he could? Hopefully a lot of it is labeled

Take your time, label your shelves, have an inventory sheet for what is on each shelf. have heavy items on lower shelves. I'm sure you will get plenty of ideas. Some items make you want to build a car for that part, It's part of the addiction, have fun.

When I organized some of my spares, I labelled each main tote and wrote that down with individual part #'s/description.
For example, a tote full rocker arms and shafts that u don't need and are selling. I would label that tote FSM(for sale mechanical) and then itemize/list everything on a sticker on outside of tote.
Another tote with dash stuff you don't need label as FSI(for sale interior), with an itemized label/list of individual parts. Made it a little easier. Helped keep track of what i wanted to keep. Those totes got labelled SK(spares keep).
Good luck and have fun!

Last edited:
When I organized some of my spares, I labelled each main box and wrote that down with individual part #'s/description.
For example, a tote full rocker arms and shafts that u don't need and are selling. I would label that tote FSM(for sale mechanical) and then itemize/list everything on a sticker on outside of tote.
Another tote with dash stuff you don't need label as FSI(for sale interior), with an itemized label/list of individual parts. Made it a little easier. Helped keep track of what i wanted to keep. Those totes got labelled SK(spares keep).
Good luck and have fun!
Have fun. That's the main thing. You will be making many people happy to find the parts and pieces they need or have been looking for. As far as sales here, don't overload yourself with item in each sale thread and don't post too many threads at once. You will be plenty busy with a half dozen items at a time.

-
Back