Parts Haulers (Pickups)

-
Here's my truck. It's a cummins and has big exhaust, turned up the pump a bit, bigger injectors, adjusted the timing, and a few other things. It's a '93 extra cab 4x4 and the turbo deisle comes in handy often. I have had this truck about eight months and put 15k miles on it. I have taken it to rapid city, SD, Denver, CO, Boise, ID, and many other places pulling my trusty 18' flat bed. It does much better than any gas engine I have ever had and gets better fuel economy too. The maintainence costs are a bit of a bummer though.

66a4dff5.jpg

I have a 1987 Dodge 6cyl automatic. It came with no ac and a rubber floor mat. Ol Blue has 89,900 miles now and my 17yr old son wants it for his first car. Just can't beat these kind of trucks.

Attachments

• DSC00957 (Medium).JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 300
My 96 F250 does very well 190K miles and basically stock. Plows all my neighbors and my driveway and will haul as much wood or dirt that you can through at it. I honestly would like to get an older 12V Cummins regular cab 4X4 just to get the torque and mileage.

Attachments

• compressed F250.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 283
Here my 1986 Ford F-150 that I bought over 10 years ago at a Good Will auction for$500.00.It had Texas Farm Plates on it and 77,000 miles on it.
Now it got 115,000.
It has never failed me but I got a little in it over the years.
Later model rims
KYB shocks
new front rotors and calibers
straight 6 cylinder with 3 spd on the column.
The old computerized carb crapped out on me 4 years ago and I eliminated the entire computer system...
EFI exhaust manifold and 2 1/2 inch exhaust to muffler the 2 1/4 after
Offenhauser DP manifold.
Holley 390 cfm
New 11" clutch
It pulled my 18' trailer with ease.
All my darts got home with it.
I am going to get around to paint it this fall...
TXDart

I bought this D100 Adventurer Sport new in May 1973. It has a slightly modified 318 ahead of a stock LoadFlite transmission.

I restored the body, upgraded the interior, and changed colors in '91. In 2005, I did a frame off restoration in my back yard. A complete custom interior was installed, and all the worn mechanicals were rebuilt or restored. I also changed the colors from charcoal to more hot weather friendly colors.

DSC00085.jpg

I bought this D100 Adventurer Sport new in May 1973. It has a slightly modified 318 ahead of a stock LoadFlite transmission.

I restored the body, upgraded the interior, and changed colors in '91. In 2005, I did a frame off restoration in my back yard. A complete custom interior was installed, and all the worn mechanicals were rebuilt or restored. I also changed the colors from charcoal to more hot weather friendly colors.

DSC00085.jpg

That is clean and nice looking.

This is what i use. 2003 dakota 4x4 with 4.7L and 5 speed manual. (hate automatics)
IMG_0365.jpg

A little gutless to tow with but it works wonders picking up parts all over the place.

If needed 03 2500 ram 4x4 cummins HO 6 speed manual is optional :joker:

i just laugh at all those guys with big huge lifted trucks, diesels, stacks, big tires, yada yada...for how heavy those things are, and big and tall, lotta wind resistance, and making that engine work to spin those huge tires, I wonder how much they pay in fuel costs each year. LOL

I use a late 80's toyota regular cab truck with a 4 cyl. that gets 33 mpg, it'll hold all the parts i need. now it wont haul no car trailer, ill just ask a buddy to borrow his truck for that kind of work, if id ever have to haul a car anyway. lol

i gotta get a truck and trailer so i can haul around things while they are off the road and also move engines around. i used my moms altima to pick up my 440. she was pissed when she saw the car loaded up lol. the back wheels were so high into the wells.... but swhe did say i could use it so yup.

i want either an old dodge pick up or a srt 10, just for fun, are they even any good at hauling anything besides ***?

Here's my dd not a oldy or a dodge ( I wish it was ) but I like it and havnt had any problems with it, I've done all of the work to it including hid lights, 4 in lift kit, sound system, flowmaster exhaust, nerf bars.... 140,000 miles on it

utf-8BSU1BRzAyNjcuanBn-1.jpg

Started out with this '75 D200 Crew Cab w/440 and 60 gals worth of gas tanks !!

IM000103_original.jpg

Sold it and bout this brand new when it came out !!

100_0870.jpg

After a bunch of mods and money !!

SRT10010.jpg

Stealth_001.jpg

And unfortunately I ended up with an electrical problem and traded the SRT10 in my Ram 1500 4x4 that I don't have any pictures of !!

Started out with this '75 D200 Crew Cab w/440 and 60 gals worth of gas tanks !!

IM000103_original.jpg

Sold it and bout this brand new when it came out !!

100_0870.jpg

After a bunch of mods and money !!

Stealth_001.jpg

And unfortunately I ended up with an electrical problem and traded the SRT10 in my Ram 1500 4x4 that I don't have any pictures of !!

Sweet

heres mine, temporarily down, but a few new main bearings and we will be back in buisiness.

Attachments

• P5080499.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 249
  • P5080498.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 244
My Dakota R/T works really good..

Camry3.jpg

My older brother's 97 360 1 ton Dodge Ram pulls his 7500lb Oliver with the same ease.

Betsy-1.jpg

My daily driver: 1991 Ranger XLT regular cab, long bed, 2.3lit 5 speed, 2 wheel drive. Its been in the family since new. (Uncle bought it) I had it on the road for 2 weeks after its been off for 5 years and then the brakes locked up on me and it's been sitting for 2 months now. Kinda a bumer cause its MY car (I'm 16) that I could use at will :cry: So when I get the money together I'm going to get the brakes as it needs EVERYTHING!!! At least it still runs well. Future plans for it is to do an SVO turbo 2.3 Mustang engine swap. I miss not being able to drive my Ranger and its 30mpg. Last picture is from like 8 years ago when my uncle had it and thats me in the picture.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 4.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 234
  • 3.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 2.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 245
  • 1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 259
Nice rigs everyone!
Here's our other 2.

Attachments

• 1024 1024.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF0243.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 224
I've noticed the big trend towards huge, lifted, diesel crew cabs these days when it comes choosing a truck to haul car parts and do the occasional tow job. Everyone seems to want the big mufflers, huge blow off valves, shoot, I think some guys even add engine breaks to their "rigs". Come on, how many of those guys really use those rigs for super heavy usage?
With that said are there any guys on this forum who use simple pickups for hauling their parts and cars? Is their anyone out there that simply grabbed a nice 74 and earlier Dodge pickup, slapped in a beefed up 360, and does their hauling with something simple? Post up some pics if possible.

I take exception to your comments about lifted diesel crew cabs. I like mine. Its fun to drive, its loud and big. Think about this: If we all drove vehicles that we really needed or were practical there would be no car or truck hobby, no aftermarket parts. Just because there is a hood scoop on your dart sport does that mean you race it? Reality it is just for looks and cool factor (I have one on my duster!). I tried to justify buying a diesel and could not, the extra cost vs fuel savings for the amount of towing i do didn't justify it. But I bought one anyway cause I like the looks and sound of a big diesel truck.

The practical side of a diesel is defintely during towing. It is nice to be able to accelerate up hills and keep up with traffic instead of slowing and gearing down. Once you have towed a heavy load up a mountain pass with a diesel you will understand.

Here are some pictures of my truck that I drive everyday. Just go back from yellowstone pulling my 31' travel trailer and the truck ran like a top all the way. I have even towed the race car down to Washington and back. But mostly I just drive it to and from work.

If we want a practical vehicle maybe we should all be driving 4 door civics or if you want a diesel try a smart car.

Attachments

• P1070595.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 221
  • P1070756.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 211
I would be lost without my (extremely) daily driven '83 318 powered D-250. I wish it was a stick, but for what I paid and all the places I have been + all the firewood that has passed thru this bed it don't owe me anything. But it ain't leaving me unless it gets creamed by a semi or something as catastrophic. I am debating on putting a fiberglass utility bed onto it as the wheel wells are starting to rust out.
Motor blows? I have one ready to go. Trans? Ditto. Does a new $40K truck do what I do any better? Hell no Would that cost more? Yeah/ Makes no sense to get a newer one.
I fail to realize why everything these days has to be a 4 door. that is turn-off #1, for any vehicle I ever consider buying. well maybe #2 but close; and if you put having 4 doors at #2 then buying anything like a Toyota, Nissan, Hon-duh, and the like HAS to be #1.
2 I wish I had back? my 81 W-150 and my 87 Dodge van, 3/4 ton with a 318.

Oh yea, it does. The V6 just requires a little more time for getting up to speed.
Yea gotta plan a little bit. ;)

I thought about an engine swap. I have a 99 Durango at my feet doing nothing.
But it seems to be a big hassle swapping engine around.
I'll leave it alone for now.
No sense trying to fix what aint broke.

Though I did see superchargers for the 318/360.
The V6 has the same dang fromt acc. drive set up.

Things that make you go;

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm
well i was thinking the same thing tell my dads dodge diesel broke and i towed it with the beat up 242,*** mile truck didnt brake a sweat

-
Back