-
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyB

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
I am in desperate need of a few parts to be able to install an older version of an A/C unit that I was gifted from a MoPar man, Paul Carr. I have his old system but need a pulley and dryer and compressor to get it installed. My car is a 1965 Plymouth Barracuda 273, non air with power steering. Any and ALL help would be generously rewarded. I want a part of Paul cruising with me in my fish. I know he would appreciate that. Here’s what I have.
Sorry for all the pictures but I’m desperate
Thank you,
Randy B

IMG_2581.jpeg

IMG_2582.jpeg

IMG_2584.jpeg

IMG_2585.jpeg

IMG_2586.jpeg

IMG_2587.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

That is an aftermarket a/c system. Compressor could be either a Tecumseh (cast iron) or York (aluminum). The York is available new, and the two are interchangeable. The drier is available as a new generic, also. The hard part might be the crank pulley. New hoses can be made if needed.

That is an aftermarket a/c system. Compressor could be either a Tecumseh (cast iron) or York (aluminum). The York is available new, and the two are interchangeable. The drier is available as a new generic, also. The hard part might be the crank pulley. New hoses can be made if needed.
Compressor must be a Tecumseh as it’s heavy as heck! Lol
Since this is an aftermarket system. If I were to get a new generic dryer and new lighter compressor and pulley and hoses all that use the ‘new’ Freon, could and would it work with Paul’s kneenknocker if everything from the firewall forward is new and up to date?

It should. The biggest "crapshoot" would be the expansion valve, and the "flair" fittings on the evaporator. They might leak. There are copper "washers" that can be put on the flair to help get a better seal. If you want send me a message, and I'll give you my Phone number. Not supposed to have "discussion" in for sale or wanted posts.

I have an aftermarket crank pulley that came with an AC kit I bought years ago. It was designed to be used on the later small block aluminum water pump system. I can measure it for you if think it will work. If it will, you can have it because I will never use it. Just shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

:thumbsup:

I have an aftermarket crank pulley that came with an AC kit I bought years ago. It was designed to be used on the later small block aluminum water pump system. I can measure it for you if think it will work. If it will, you can have it because I will never use it. Just shoot me a PM when you get a chance.

Yes please that would be great! What kit did you buy? Can you measure it please thank you

Lot of conflicting information out there on Freon conversions. If you want it perfect, that is a lot of work. If you just want it to work, that is a lot easier. Get a new dryer& expansion valve if you can. Put together, vacuum it & charge it. Freon is only $5 a can a Walmart. I bought a good Freon leak detector on Amazon got about $30. Vacuum pumps are about $100.

Who cares if you have to charge it once a year for $15 on Freon

Yes please that would be great! What kit did you buy? Can you measure it please thank you
I think it was a Classic Air kit. I bought the underhood kit to switch my factory air 71 Challenger to a Sanden compressor. I spaced the compressor mounts a little and just used my factory pulley, so this one was left over and never used. It's 6 1/2" across and 3 3/4" deep. You remove 3 of your original pulley bolts, and use 3 longer ones to bolt this pulley over the top of the existing pulley on your motor.

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1737.JPG

Lot of conflicting information out there on Freon conversions. If you want it perfect, that is a lot of work. If you just want it to work, that is a lot easier. Get a new dryer& expansion valve if you can. Put together, vacuum it & charge it. Freon is only $5 a can a Walmart. I bought a good Freon leak detector on Amazon got about $30. Vacuum pumps are about $100.

Who cares if you have to charge it once a year for $15 on Freon
Any idea on type of dryer also expansion valve?
Of course all I look at say it won’t fit my 65 Barracuda.
I don’t understand what you mean by ‘vacuum it’
I’ll look at Freon detectors now
Thank you

Being an aftermarket add on system, finding parts is more difficult.
Dryers are basically the same functionally, you just need to find one with the right fittings. Same for the expansion valve. The original valve could still be in working condition, you won’t know unless you try it. You could try Classic Air or Vintage air for parts. There are other vendors folks talk about on this site, you could search some threads on here.

I don‘t know how familiar you are with ac work (I am an amateur), but you will need to evacuate the system prior to charging it.

I have a crank pulley for a ‘68 318 with A/C. I promised the guy I would get some pics of what I have. Was that you? I can’t find the thread. It was in General Discussion.

I have a crank pulley for a ‘68 318 with A/C. I promised the guy I would get some pics of what I have. Was that you? I can’t find the thread. It was in General Discussion.
No Sir, I was looking for brackets for a slant 6 AC 225. But found them.

I've never seen but 2 issues with the old expansion valves. One, its capillary tube gets a hole in it or kinked closed in handling, then its nitrogen charge is blocked or leaks away. That calls for replacement.
Two, The screen at inlet side gets clogged. I've found as many as 5 of those little cone shaped screens in one valve. Pic them out, clean and reinstall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back