passenger rear wheel locked

-

wlecat

Reaction score
my passenger rear wheel is locked up - could be the parking brake since there is much tension on that side of the V, took the rim off and the drum came off very easily. not sure what the problem is but to be honest I'm not sure what I'd be looking for. So attached is a video (apologize for the poor quality, you'll probably have to pause to see stuff clealy) Any ideas?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9VHawZk12c"]YouTube[/ame]

video won't play.. says it's 'private'

Not sure what you meen by locked up if you got the drum off.

Wow, if the hub came off the brake is not holding it, can you turn the axle easy?
or did you turn the adjuster so the brake shoes backed off ?

If you have the drum off can you turn the hub. I assume yes in that the wheel on the other side turns

Did the car skid to a stop or did you put the emergency brake on and now it won't move?

Next I would try to pull the emergency cable and see if it moves easily. I would guess that the problem

if it were the e-brake cable he would not have gotten the drum off. Certainly, not easily, as stated.

With the drum still off, and in neutral. Be safe make sure car is on stands, choked, and stable. If it has a sure grip rear you need to make sure the other rear wheel is off the ground or it will not turn. If open rear it is of little matter.

You need to take a breaker bar or something and try to turn the axle, with the drum off, and see if it turns freely.
If not, it could be a bad axle bearing. I would pull the axle at that point as it is fairly easy to remove and inspect. If it is deeper in the differential, carrier bearing, spider gear etc. The axles will need to be removed anyhow.

But at this point more information from the poster would help. Like where you driving when it happened, type of rear 7.25, 8.75, open or sure grip differential?

video now public, I wasn't there when the car was rolled out backwards and the parking brake was engaged. It's supposed to be a PT rear and the other tire is on the ground
the brakes pump up but after a while the pedal goes to the floor, filled the resivoir while pumping the brakes, but same thing. No leaks apparent, thinking it's the master cylinder.

Yup. I'd tend to agree. Axle bearing. I would inspect that axle VERY closely to make sure it's not twisted.

get both wheels off the ground or it will not turn with PT. Pull the suspected axle if it is still frozen with drum off. Pretty easy to do with 8.75 and inspect the axle for bad bearing.

On the master cylinder different issue likely, look under the dash where the master cylinder push rod goes into the master it is likely wet there. Or are you saying it rolls fine without brake applied? and when applied with the situation described it locks on that wheel?

Your master cyl. drifting to the floor is more than likely a bad master cylinder. If it is a SURE GRIP you need to have both wheels off the ground. Attempt this and get back to us.

did not touch the adjuster prior to taking the drum off, will get both wheels up and check.
Thinking about adding booster to master cylinder while it's off.

b4 adding more problems to your ride-- ie booster-- fix your lock -up problem---

as stated before, something in the rear is messed up-- or your sure grip is in really great shape.

have you placed the axle on jack stands-- put car in neutral & spun the other side yet?

. good luck ,Lawrence

get both wheels off the ground or it will not turn with PT. Pull the suspected axle if it is still frozen with drum off. Pretty easy to do with 8.75 and inspect the axle for bad bearing.

On the master cylinder different issue likely, look under the dash where the master cylinder push rod goes into the master it is likely wet there. Or are you saying it rolls fine without brake applied? and when applied with the situation described it locks on that wheel?

X2
Get BOTH wheels off the ground, should turn then.

How did you determine the passenger side is "locked up"? I assume by 8 3/4 pt, you mean it has a suregrip. Like others have said one side will not turn with the other side on the ground, both wheels must be off the ground.

How did you determine the passenger side is "locked up"? I assume by 8 3/4 pt, you mean it has a suregrip. Like others have said one side will not turn with the other side on the ground, both wheels must be off the ground.

................and in neutral

for those of you who could not access or bear to watch the crappy video, I captured some stills of the parking brake section of the video.

Attachments

• brake 1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 273
  • brake 2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 269
  • brake 3.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 295
for those of you who could not access or bear to watch the crappy video, I captured some stills of the parking brake section of the video.

Basically what everyone is getting at is that once the drum is off - The brakes do NOTHING.
How do you know ONE side locked? If the other side turns, your brakes are not an issue.

Did you get it off the ground, in neutral and check it?

Basically what everyone is getting at is that once the drum is off - The brakes do NOTHING.
How do you know ONE side locked? If the other side turns, your brakes are not an issue.

Did you get it off the ground, in neutral and check it?

^^^^ What he and everyone else has been telling you.

hi guys, thanks for your help and patience. Didn't mean to keep you in suspense but their were some family issues.
Got both the wheels off the ground, in neutral, the passenger side is still locked, the drivers side turns both ways but stiff. When I turned the drivers side wheel didn't hear anything noticeable. Tonight I noticed there is a wet oil spot at the bottom of the gear hub where it bolts on.
I gotta bad feeling about this.
What do I do next, pull the axle or the hub? or both? What to look for?
Could it be a seized bearing?

Yes, pull the axle out (axle and hub are one assembly).
You are probably right about the bearing. Driver's side is stiff because of the positraction.
Keep us posted.

Yes, pull the axle out (axle and hub are one assembly).
You are probably right about the bearing. Driver's side is stiff because of the positraction.
Keep us posted.
Thanks, I imagine I need to replace both sides. Are the bearings hard to extract or reinstall? Actually by "hub" I meant the rear (differential). BTW, should there be a tag on one of the housing bolt showing the ratio?

-
Back