Patch, or Replace inner fenders?

-
With TTI and Dougs headers, there is no need to cut the fender aprons for headers. Even the old CPPA headers fit without cutting. Guys that cut these Grand Canyon holes nowadays are just lazy hacks.

TTI was not in business decades ago. Yep racers are not always neat either. Personally I would use original metal if available for sure, second choice or maybe first choice UNLESS it is a car that will be worth some $ or cherished like grandma, is do a god job of patching, there will ne undercoat on the underside, like factory, and not hard to do a good job of welding, grinding, a skim coat of filler. But I get in a hurry to drive and not spend decades getting there.

Here is the Barracuda I am doing now 69 383-S 4 speed car. As you can see I am also replacing the section to the firewall, it was cut and butchered that far back. Just so you know,,,the AMD pieces that they sell for the firewall to apron section fit excellent on the passenger side but do not fit at all on the driver side. They made mirror images of the part Left and right but they are not the same left to right. I cut a set from a donar car. In the back ground in a Dart Convertible I also had just finished the same repair on the inner fenders. Grrrrrr Hate fenderwell headers..lol

View attachment 1715206023

View attachment 1715206024

View attachment 1715206025
Body man is coming over this morning. I've finally removed my front clip. ready to remove the inner fenders. How do you reccommend removing all the spot welds? Also, to install the new: inner fender cowl to brackets, Did you plug weld them to the firewall? Thanks, a lot!

The metal was spot welded by factory, so the true resto way is duplicate that with plug welds. Buying thee best spot weld cutter available is usually the best route.

….How do you reccommend removing all the spot welds?.....

FWIW, For a pair of inner fenders I bought two 5 buck HF double sided plug cutters (hole cutter). They do like to walk without a center in the weld to keep them in line. Night and day difference using cutting fluid as well. I went through both sides of one cutter and started on the second removing the two inner fenders. A quality cutter will cut your time/effort IMO.
IMGP8272.JPG

IMGP8271.JPG

Thanks! Is it then worth it to buy an AMD drivers side ?? One has to ponder...

I ended up splitting my drivers inner fender and splicing it back together, I needed the whole inner fender.
I would use the AMD drivers inner fender for patches for the cut one on the op’s car.

-
Back