Patching Convertible top?

-

Thanatos340

Reaction score
I just bought the wife a 1968 Barracuda Convertible. The car is in really nice condition however the Top has about a 1" tear in one spot and a small pin hole in another. The top is otherwise excellent condition.

This is the first convertible I have ever owned and want to know what the best way to patch this would be? Iron on type patches or adhesive? Anyone done small patches like this before with any success?

Called a local well known trim shop and they said they do not patch tops at all and wanted $2,000+ top replace the top. Insane.

Attachments

• Top hole.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 202
My wife's car has a convertible top that is really close to that same size and design.
I replaced it myself for about $150 top included as well as all the materials.

To answer your question though, I like to patch them from the inside with top material or canvas using the black 3M weather strip adhesive.
Take the top loose when you patch it if it is holding a seam or split open, and let it dry for 8-10 hours before putting pressure (stretch) back on it again.

For a more round hole (like the pinhole) do that with the stretch on it so it doesn't change the look of the material around it when the top is up.

I just bought the wife a 1968 Barracuda Convertible. The car is in really nice condition however the Top has about a 1" tear in one spot and a small pin hole in another. The top is otherwise excellent condition.

This is the first convertible I have ever owned and want to know what the best way to patch this would be? Iron on type patches or adhesive? Anyone done small patches like this before with any success?

Called a local well known trim shop and they said they do not patch tops at all and wanted $2,000+ top replace the top. Insane.

I used weld-on solvent cement to repair a top a friend just had put on and some vandals poked a nice 1-2 inch long tear in it. I did get a piece of vinyl top canvas to use as a backer after I removed the material along the inside(black cloth bonded to the white top vinyl) of the top then glued it vinyl to vinyl so any small gaps would be the same color. it's still on there solid 6 years later and I don't think that after 10 minuter I could have pried it apart after bonding it to the top.
here is the name of the weld-on solvent I used
WELD-ON ® 4784 Vinyl Cement is a Clear, medium bodied, fast setting, high strength solvent cement for flexible vinyl, leather, acrylic, butyrate and kydex.

I would guess the year is from the top,getting pinched when it is being lowered. Before you try and repair it lower the top stopping and checking as it goes down. Look to see if the top is getting caught with the tack bow in that area.

Put a new top on my Dart and it ended up with the tear in the same area aft 6 months and putting the top down very few times

Also check the tack bow to see if it is sharp on the end. It might need to be files to smooth.

Herb Beers started making the wires needed to push the top out away from the tack bow to eliminate the pinching of the top

View attachment image.jpg

Wire I made for my top. There was a TSB back in the day for this very problem.

Yes 2 grand for a top is too much. I had a cloth top put on mine in 04 for $1,100 with all new pads. The top looks great

EZ Top in Greenville SC made the top, and had a local trim guy install it

The little wire should be present from the factory in a 68 model. That is unless it was broken/tossed by a installer.
I'm wondering if the adhesive mentioned above would hold replacement flange on a OEM hard backlight. Good luck to all

-
Back