Pay Pal Scam

-

1969GTS

Reaction score
I've been getting these emails from "paypal" lately.

Dear PayPal Customer:

We Recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your PayPal account from foreign IP address and we have reasons to believe that your account was hijacked by a third party without your authorization.
If you recently noticed one or more attempts your account while traveling, the unusual log in attempts may have been initiated by you.
However, if your are rightful holder of the account, click on the link below to log into your account and fallow the intrusctions.

https://www.paypal.com/ca/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

In accordance with PayPal's User Agreement, your account access will remain limited until the issue has been resolved. Unfortunately, if access to your account remains limited for an extended period of time, it may result in further limitations or eventual account closure. We encourage you to confirm your PayPal account as soon as possible to help avoid this.
We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you for using PayPal.

PayPal Account Review Department .

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

when you click on the link it takes you to a site that looks EXACTLY like paypal except the http address on the tool bar says

http://[B]www.delalma.cl[/B]/SignIn.Confirm.Dll/www.paypal.com/ca/cgi_bin/webscr_cmd=_login_run/

This is a scam to steal your pass words and account numbers so they can drain your account, bank account and run up your credit card depending on how your account is set up.

I hope this stops one person from being scammed, be cautious of this email. I have notified paypal about this scam.

Did you forward it to PayPal? I think they have a department for those.

That "scam" has been out there for awhile now. It's tough to catch the people doing it because they're usually in a foreign country.

I received this also and contacted paypal. It is a spoof email. The easiest way to tell if it is real is when paypal contacts you they always use your name like "Dear Joe Blow" NEVER "Dear paypal customer"
Be careful out there and stay vigilant...

AL

I never go to links in e-mails because I always got them from e-bay and they were scams.

Instead, go to the site and log in without using the link in the e-mail. If there is a message you can confirm the e-mails validity. Most often there will be nothign there though and the e-mail is a scam.

I've got those fishin emails many times. I like to go to first and put in bogus info like user name BillClinton password BlowMe. Then report it to the paypal spoof department. I have sent them a dozen bogus infos in an hour or so, SantaClaus, CapnCrunch, whatever. I haven't recieved another fishin attempt in a very long time.

If it is a ligit email from Paypal they will address you by your name in the email. These have been going around for awhile as well as the same kind of email from ebay stating that you have not paid for an item and they want you to log in at the link from the email. People that do this should be hung from a tall tree.

Thanks for sharing! I sent this to my son and his friends in Iraq so that they are also aware of this.

-
Back