paying a sellers paypal fees

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen sellers asking for their paypal fees. I say "F" that! I will send a postal money order, not good enough? I won't buy your part.

The seller is making the choice to accept paypal, why should I pay for HIS choice??

I have seen sellers asking for their paypal fees. I say "F" that! I will send a postal money order, not good enough? I won't buy you part.

The seller is making the choice to accept paypal, why should I pay for HIS choice??

Taking a money order is always an option for me but most buyers choose not to make a trip to town and the post office for a money order.

I just purchased parts from a member here and gave him extra to cover the fees and he didnt ask for it. I figured whats a few extra bucks. On the other side of the coin I had a seller ask for more money after the deal because shipping was more than he quoted. Well thats not my problem and I didnt give him more.

I appreciated that,by the way did you get the parts yet?I just got back into town tonight and was wondering.

If my survival was hinged on a few coins....
I would be long gone already LOL
This is very true.....but the way some folks carry on over a few bucks here and there kind of makes one wonder..

I always ask for the buyer to pay any paypal fees, state it in my ads, too. If I forget, I don't push it, but it's my typical MO.

I shoot for a price, and if the buyer wants it I don't see why he shouldn't pay the fee's for the convenience. I don't ask for "Shipping Fee's", I charge exactly what it costs. If he wants to send an MO, I will wait. If he wants to send it as a gift, it's all good. All I want in the end is what I asked for the parts.

FWIW, if I buy something, I don't have a problem paying the fee's if asked.

I have seen sellers asking for their paypal fees. I say "F" that! I will send a postal money order, not good enough? I won't buy your part.

If they are going to do that then they should just factor that in.

I recently bought some stuff on here and the seller offered me what I thought was an awesome deal for some parts that were in excellent condition. Since he offered me the items for the price he did I chose to cover the PP fee. He didn't ask I just did it.

I see paypal fees as a cost of doing business for the seller, at least on the ebay site .

Now if I'm selling on craigslist or private and a buyer want's to use paypal they can pay the fees or bring cash.:D

On that gift deal doesn't the sender still have to pay the fees?

Consider this before you go off on someone asking you to pay the fee...

Paypal charges a fee on the ENTIRE transaction amount, and that includes shipping. Now figure this out..

I sold a pair of 69 Cuda grilles to a guy in Sweden for $900.00. He wanted Overnight Express shipping to limit the amount of handling the package would receive, at a cost of over $300.00. Paypal fee is based on $1200.00!!

Now, everybody squacks about the high cost of shipping...gee I wonder why?? If a seller quotes an ACTUAL shipping price for an item, then the buyer pays by Paypal, guess what?? The seller now loses $$$ just by virtue of having to pay what Paypal took as their fee on the shipping amount out of pocket just to ship an item.

See the above example?? Guess how much the Paypal fee was?? Am I (the seller) supposed to eat over $130.00 in fees, including almost $40.00 on the shipping alone??? I think NOT!!! Geof

Pay pal is a great way to pay and they are really good at refunds if you follow thier instructions. Thier fees are minimal for sellers $3.95 on a hundred is scwat. Most of
you guys have no overhead, and package parts in old card board boxes you have laying around , and some of your prices are rediculous. $100 for a trunk lid hinge,
$250.00 for beat up dash bezels with no cluster in them $300.00 for ratty looking consoles. And lets talk bucket seats wow un believable.LOL. $400.00 for junk ripped seats out of your $500 parts car - give me a break ,$*&#. I have found a few good deals here but not many. And the attempted price fixing. I am on here every day looking for stuff and I see the same sellers always comenting on other peoples prices. Scared some one might get a good deal or you just worried you wont be able to make 300 percent profit on your sales. I Joined thinking this was a site dedicated to the preservation of old mopars , and mopar lovers helping other mopar lovers to
keep cars out of the crushers. What I found was a lot of car stripping profiteers ( not everyone, but a lot gougers just same). So yes I have had to start surfing E-bay and kijiji and craigslist again.And then there are the guys that would rather let that $40.00 part rot in his basement because they didn't get the price they wanted ($140) rather then help a guy out. What a F---ing joke. Sorry just a little disapointed , and then I read this whinny crap about paying your owns fees . Those are your fees (your overhead) your cost of doing business, on your expensively priced used parts. OH This part is very rare so I am going to gouge you for it . LMAO. Sorry if you are offended but you know what they say - truth hurts. LOL . Cheers .

I just ask what I want with everything considered.

exactly, consider the fees when you price your part.

Thats fine also. If you want to pay gas both ways to the post office, plus the charge for the M/O, plus wait the extra 3 or 4 days for the M/O to reach the seller thats up to you.

No fees are charged if pulling funds directly from a bank account. If a credit card is used, Paypal will give the sender of the funds the option to pay the CC fees or pass on to the seller on a gift transaction.

The credit card company's always get their cut.

Yes, the fees are payed by one or the other of the parties.

No fees are charged if pulling funds directly from a bank account. If a credit card is used, Paypal will give the sender of the funds the option to pay the CC fees or pass on to the seller on a gift transaction.

The credit card company's always get their cut.

Agreed and also, no fees are charged if you have the $$ in your paypal account when sending as a gift.

exactly, consider the fees when you price your part.

Don't know, but to me it feels like hiding costs to make a little extra money. Kind of like charging $15 shipping and handling when the actual cost is more like $5.35 or something. If I want $40 for my part, why shouldn't I ask the buyer to pay the fee's if he wants to use PayPal?

If I ask for it up front, he can decide if he wants what it will actually cost (part+fee+shipping) or not. If not, then don't buy it. In the end, I feel better about it because there are no hidden costs.

If I price it to include everything, then I get accused of being a "car stripping profiteer".

Because they are his parts, if he wants paid in Frankenberry cereal pay him in Frankenberry cereal, if he wants chickenwings pay him in chickenwings....or like you said dont buy his parts

When I'm selling my stuff, I consider PayPal fees part of doing business and appreciate what it buys me in the way of speed and convienence and getting paid within seconds as opposed to days or weeks. They even deposit the money in my bank account for god's sake. Also, there's nothing better than NOT having to deal with the old "the check is in the mail" gag that some guys use to hold your parts while they continue shopping for a better deal than the one they had with you. Meanwhile, you're losing sales to other guys who will pay instantly because you're waiting for a check/mo that may never come (damhik).

I guess my selling philosophy is to get as many guys as possible to consider buying my stuff and making sure I don't alienate anyone because I force them to pay more than the cost & shipping charges.

Right out of my mouth...cost of instant money, no problem. I always take it in the shorts because I buy a new box to ship too but I'm never losing money...

Consider this before you go off on someone asking you to pay the fee...

Paypal charges a fee on the ENTIRE transaction amount, and that includes shipping. Now figure this out..

I sold a pair of 69 Cuda grilles to a guy in Sweden for $900.00. He wanted Overnight Express shipping to limit the amount of handling the package would receive, at a cost of over $300.00. Paypal fee is based on $1200.00!!

Now, everybody squacks about the high cost of shipping...gee I wonder why?? If a seller quotes an ACTUAL shipping price for an item, then the buyer pays by Paypal, guess what?? The seller now loses $$$ just by virtue of having to pay what Paypal took as their fee on the shipping amount out of pocket just to ship an item.

See the above example?? Guess how much the Paypal fee was?? Am I (the seller) supposed to eat over $130.00 in fees, including almost $40.00 on the shipping alone??? I think NOT!!! Geof
Ouch......but in all likely hood many of us will never be put in your situation....

Or my other favorite scenario.

Price the part, agree on a price shipped... buyer then says, oh I want to use paypal... as long as I get the agreed price amount in my account... good to go.

If something says a price with nothing more, don't assume paypal is accepted.

Like cosgig says, the fees can become substantial on occasion.

I been shipping numerous items for the last twelve years, local and worldwide, besides the actually cost of the item, to date I have and will continue to charge only the exact shipping cost and absolutely nothing else period.

I was going to purchase a hood scoop from someone. They wanted an additional $12 for THEIR choice to use paypal. Nope, not me. And btw, it would not cost me $12 to purchase a postal money order even with the cost of gas.....
Keep in mind, the seller was charging TOP DOLLAR for his part. Tacking on another $12? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back