Paying respect and inviting advice

-

justanoldfish

Reaction score
Hi folks. I am as green as they come. Fell for a Cuda as a kid though and now have a 65 that I am just starting to work on. Didn't cost me anything so it has that going for it, and the engine - a 318 - seems to be in pretty good shape, but the only working gear I've got is reverse.

Welcome aboard. You will get plenty of help here working on your '65. There is a category for Transmissions. Check that out. The answer to your problem may exist already. Don't forget to show us some pics of your new love affair.

Welcome and congrats on your new project...'65 Barracudas are very lovable....

Welcome aboard. You will get plenty of help here working on your '65. There is a category for Transmissions. Check that out. The answer to your problem may exist already. Don't forget to show us some pics of your new love affair.

Thanks. I'll check out the transmission threads and will posts ome photos soon. She is a bit sad looking at the moment. Purple over original tan paint job, with textured roof in dark navy (think spray-on bed-liner), and chipped and rusted bumpers.

Forward clutches in the trans either fried, or sat so long the seals won't engage the drum.
You could try letting it warm up real good then rev it a little to see if they engage, but you would need a rebuild.

Make sure to chk the fluid in neutral and make sure it's full first.

Forward clutches in the trans either fried, or sat so long the seals won't engage the drum.
You could try letting it warm up real good then rev it a little to see if they engage, but you would need a rebuild.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Maybe a minor point but I know the kickdown cable is pretty badly messed up, with a lot of play at the connection to the carb. Found a kit online from Bouchillon Performance Engineering. Overkill?

Maybe a minor point but I know the kickdown cable is pretty badly messed up, with a lot of play at the connection to the carb. Found a kit online from Bouchillon Performance Engineering. Overkill?

It's possible that it is what caused it to go in the first place (don't know for sure though)
Nothing that works well and can be afforded is overkill, but the stock linkage worked when they built it.

I'll tell you one thing for sure though.
DO NOT run a trans without it, or it will be destroyed.

Welcome oldfish, and I hope the 65 makes you feel like a fry again!!!LOL!! Yep, I'm a little biased towards the early A cars as well, and I am at your service if I can be of help!! Nice catch with the Cuda, and yes, pics of that puppy are necessary!! Geof

Welcome oldfish, and I hope the 65 makes you feel like a fry again!!!LOL!! Yep, I'm a little biased towards the early A cars as well, and I am at your service if I can be of help!! Nice catch with the Cuda, and yes, pics of that puppy are necessary!! Geof

Will post pictures soon. Thanks, all, for the welcome.

-
Back