PCV delete ideas/vent with catch can

-
try adding a breather with the tube going to the air cleaner it will pull some vacume at all throttle positions.....couldnt hurt...

try adding a breather with the tube going to the air cleaner it will pull some vacume at all throttle positions.....couldnt hurt...

well my original problem was excessive oil in the intake tract... wouldn't that make it worse?

yes... these guys being chucks speed center... they have been around since the mid 60's ran numerous cars out at bee line and speedworld back in the day...
it wouldnt be the first time an experienced guy forgot to install the seals, how much blow by does the engine have?

where is yur point of vacume?

and have you tryed a different valve?

it can only be one of a few simple things

the intake ports had a bunch of oil in them (intake and intake ports)

Make sure you're not setting off on a wild goose chase. Are you absolutely certain it's oil you're seeing? Could easily be gasoline residue, which looks and feels a great deal like oil. Are you actually losing (using) oil as indicated by the dipstick?

You may want to just put an oil trap in the PCV hose between the valve and the intake, either to keep the oil out of the intake tract (if in fact it's getting there by that route) or at least to see for yourself what amount of oil is travelling along the PCV tract. It's not hard to make an oil trap or you can adapt an oil separator meant for use on compressed air lines. See here, here, here, and here. I would use the copper or stainless scouring pads, not the plastic ones.

If there's an amount of oil puddled in the intake that you can actually see, then I believe the engine would be blowing oil smoke out of the tailpipe. If it was not, then I would suspect it was not oil.

Make sure you're not setting off on a wild goose chase. Are you absolutely certain it's oil you're seeing? Could easily be gasoline residue, which looks and feels a great deal like oil. Are you actually losing (using) oil as indicated by the dipstick?

You may want to just put an oil trap in the PCV hose between the valve and the intake, either to keep the oil out of the intake tract (if in fact it's getting there by that route) or at least to see for yourself what amount of oil is travelling along the PCV tract. It's not hard to make an oil trap or you can adapt an oil separator meant for use on compressed air lines. See here, here, here, and here. I would use the copper or stainless scouring pads, not the plastic ones.

nothing notice able on the dipstick... bottom end is all new and yes there were seals in there...

i will work on the separator idea dan! i like it!

If there's an amount of oil puddled in the intake that you can actually see, then I believe the engine would be blowing oil smoke out of the tailpipe. If it was not, then I would suspect it was not oil.

i agree but no... nothing out the pipe... im gonna pull the carb and look in there... maybe like said above its just fuel from the tear down...

It could well be fuel. You know....throttle body cars get caked up in the throttle bores and have a black oily residue on the inside. Sounds like what you have is somethin similar.

It could well be fuel. You know....throttle body cars get caked up in the throttle bores and have a black oily residue on the inside. Sounds like what you have is somethin similar.

well i'll pull the carb apart and clean it all out...

It'll probably just get right back like that again. It IS sittin on top of a fire ya know? lol

Make sure you're not setting off on a wild goose chase. Are you absolutely certain it's oil you're seeing?.

Here's another thought. You running a mechanical fuel pump? Could it be leaking and diluting the oil?

Here's another thought. You running a mechanical fuel pump? Could it be leaking and diluting the oil?

yes on the mech fuel pump... could it be leaking thinking not as not sucking fuel...

but why would that show up in the intake ports after only 2 weeks of driving?

and im running a custom deep sump with 6.5qts oil...

yes on the mech fuel pump... could it be leaking thinking not as not sucking fuel...

but why would that show up in the intake ports after only 2 weeks of driving?

and im running a custom deep sump with 6.5qts oil...

Because if the pump is leaking fuel into the oil, and diluting the oil, it will tend to suck right into the engine---valves guides, rings, and PCV

Because if the pump is leaking fuel into the oil, and diluting the oil, it will tend to suck right into the engine---valves guides, rings, and PCV

well the oil seems to be fine... and its a new pump, also the oil pressure hasn't changed...

No dummy. The engine. It IS on FIRE in there when it's runnin. lol Kinda hard not to get SOME kinda residue from all THAT.

true... well the shop said once its back together to bring it down and they will throw it on the dyno with the sniffer and make sure the AFR is right.......

looking at your photo its difficult to see where the hose from the valve goes, most offen we route the to the vac port at the bottom rear of the carb, it that where you have it?

If I remember correctly you are running total seal rings. They are known for pulling oil into the intake. Do some searches I think you are suposed to run a restrictor in the pvc line.
Will

looking at your photo its difficult to see where the hose from the valve goes, most offen we route the to the vac port at the bottom rear of the carb, it that where you have it?

3/8 port on the bottom of the carb...

If I remember correctly you are running total seal rings. They are known for pulling oil into the intake. Do some searches I think you are suposed to run a restrictor in the pvc line.
Will

thats crazy.... just cuz the rings are sealing so good? sl6dan mentioned adding a dryer inline to the carb... that may do 2 things, restrict and clean so i think i will try this... thx

the valve guide seals you are using,, are they the rubber "umbrella type",, or Perfect circle, slips on a machined guide and has teflon ring around stem to seal'.. I didnt see this question asked, cuz some guides are 11/32 , and other 3/8, and if your using umbrella seal, or wrong size P/C seal.. you'll get oil down guide, particularly at idle, and Hi vacuum times..

And I'd look real close at the baffle in front of the Vent tube,, sometime puttings a Ford style cap that has that coarse steel/bronze wool.. and then a hose fitting to put Vent hose on... the wool keeps the oil in the valve cover, not up the vent tube..

had customer with old ford.. wanted dipstick replaced cuz it was loose.. every time he opened hood , dipstick was about 1 inch out.. talk about crankase pressure

It's not on any rings. It's a case of someone guessing at a cause for something he thinks he sees. The TS rings do not yank in any more oil than any other well-fitted, well-seated rings.

thats what i thought dan... thx

the valve guide seals you are using,, are they the rubber "umbrella type",, or Perfect circle, slips on a machined guide and has teflon ring around stem to seal'.. I didnt see this question asked, cuz some guides are 11/32 , and other 3/8, and if your using umbrella seal, or wrong size P/C seal.. you'll get oil down guide, particularly at idle, and Hi vacuum times..

And I'd look real close at the baffle in front of the Vent tube,, sometime puttings a Ford style cap that has that coarse steel/bronze wool.. and then a hose fitting to put Vent hose on... the wool keeps the oil in the valve cover, not up the vent tube..

had customer with old ford.. wanted dipstick replaced cuz it was loose.. every time he opened hood , dipstick was about 1 inch out.. talk about crankase pressure

i was running SI valves, bought thru clifford, they are 3/8 stem with hardened steel guides. and yes i had the tops machined for the positive lock seals...

Chucks is putting bronze guides in it with engine builder valves... they seems to have heard issues with the SI valves...

and im just running a breather and a pcv valve... nothing up to the air cleaner... and at this point i dont want any more chance of more oil getting in thru the carb lol...

i think SS might be into something cuz i looked in the intake and the tops of the ports look like soot like an exhaust port... i'll get pics tonite...

-
Back