PCV Grommets from Hell

-

72Valiant4Door

Trouble Maker
Reaction score
You know what sounded like a great idea??? Change valve cover gaskets, inspect top end condition, replace crusty vacuum lines, and paint the valve covers while I'm at it...

Pretty damn basic... except the dorman pcv grommet wont fit. I have oiled the **** of it but there is no way it fits. Just thinking of all the time I spent on it, on my only off day, makes me want to face punch a democrat.

Please help... Am i missing something? Is there a better part number???

Not just me??? Every one I've bought over the years is either to big or to small, I currently am dealing with one too small.

I remember mine was a PIA to put in. I used a small flat blade screw driver and worked it a little at the time.

You need to messure the grommet and compare to the hole your tring to stuff it into. You may have the wrong one. A vernier caliper is a good tool for this and they are not expensive.

I made the hole bigger in my aluminum covers to fit the grommet after carefully measuring.
I put the grommet on the breather and then measured it. I made the hole a tight fit to this spec, as in a little too small.
If you make the hole too big, the breather will come out with the grommet, which is a PITA. If the hole is not quite big enough, the breather will tend to push the grommet into the engine, as it goes in. There is a fine line between too small and too big. I left it a hair too small, and lubed the hole with silicone grease. Shazzam!

Oh poop! You said PCV! Mine fit ok:( In which case use the special silicone O-ring lube. I use the Fuller-Transmission lube that comes in the RoadRanger Rebuild Kits. I put that sheit on everything! It is incredibly slippery. It's also sold as treadmill belt lube.

You know what sounded like a great idea??? Change valve cover gaskets, inspect top end condition, replace crusty vacuum lines, and paint the valve covers while I'm at it...

Pretty damn basic... except the dorman pcv grommet wont fit. I have oiled the **** of it but there is no way it fits. Just thinking of all the time I spent on it, on my only off day, makes me want to face punch a democrat.

Please help... Am i missing something? Is there a better part number???

Ha! Lol. He said,,,,, face punch a democrat

Would it make me a bad Christian if I used that line????? :)

Warmed mine up with a heat gun (carefully) for more flexibility . Then the lube and flat screwdriver ideas.

Yeah, PCV grommets ,are pretty much universal ..( Was it a Dorman/Motormite piece?) They fit, work it a bit.. I was thinking, soaking it in warmer water,(120- 150 farenheight),. Wear some gloves,slip it in with petroleum jelly.( Just a thought..)
( Comments, about bad politicians ( both parties..), I truly enjoy..)

-
Back