Pedal to booster rod/linkage?

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
On the linkage or rod that goes from the brake pedal through the firewall to the brake booster. Does the linkage point up or down? The linkage/rod has angled end that attaches to the booster. Trying to figure out if the angled end points up or down.

It appears there is a hole for either way on the booster linkage. However the only place there is an opening to install the linkage pin, would be on the lower hole.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 274
I am replacing this rod/linkage with a correct factory unit. The one that I am replacing had a much larger eyelet on the end that attached to the brake pedal. The larger opening on the end allowed for a lot of play when you installed the shoulder bolt? The factory rod/linkage is a bit shorter in length but the shoulder bolt is a perfect fit now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 263
Okay.. tried to install with the L facing up in top hole of the booster linkage. The rod going through the firewall will not match up to the pedal.

So I flipped the linkage/rod going through the firewall to where the L was facing down. I tried both the upper and lower hole on the booster linkage and neither will allow the linkage/rod going through the firewall to meet up with the pedal.

Power brake cars use a swivel arrangement rather than one rod
pbparts.jpg

Pretty sure the booster bracket is the same on my car. Just not sure what the two braces are on the right side of your photo.

This is the set-up on my Duster. Just have the top nuts snugged up while I try to figure out what goes where.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 265
Looks like you have different brackets. Possible yours is an aftermarket and is different for that reason. The 2 brackets you ask about in his pic are the factory reinforcement brackets.

carcrazyguy,
Your brackets definitely look after-market. There is a $170 MC/booster on ebay that is based on a GM booster. That one has a threaded rod on the booster, w/ an adapter to a Mopar side hole. GM's don't have a lever, but the Mopar version does. There are several other after-market Mopar setups. I am confused by the "hole" you describe that the brake rod passes thru. The firewall has a diamond opening, as I recall, so the rod could move up & down as needed. The lever on the factory booster has just a single hole to attach the pedal rod, as seen in post #4.

When I put 1974 brackets on my 1965, I didn't use the longer support bracket, which is for vertical support, since it is heavy and seemed quirky with that big, thick standoff "nut". I just used the smaller side bracket (to inner fender). I think most after-market brackets don't have either support. I put a lighter booster/MC from a 90's "cloud car" on mine, so less weight to worry about.

BTW, that lever makes the MC piston stroke more than it would if manual brakes, which is why power brake cars use an MC with a smaller bore (when different). Seems to confuse everyone why it is smaller. The lever ratio is the reason.

Pretty sure the booster bracket is the same on my car. Just not sure what the two braces are on the right side of your photo.

The braces support the booster on the engine side. I was selling them as a package. Please disregard them for the purposes of this discussion.

-
Back