Penn Grade (Brad Penn) oil

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I was getting a little low on oil and I usually try to find a deal early in the race season. Best deal I found was five quart bottles at Summit so I have four bottles on their way. Price was a hair cheaper with Pro Shop pricing. Last year Amazon had a good price on it but they couldn’t come close this year.

IMG_2776.png

Not bad. I was at advanced auto last night and in their clearance section I found their brand oil different viscosity for $4.29 per quart. Great for the lawn mower and such. I bought it all (20 quarts of 30w, 10w30/40 20w50) Deals can be had - you just have to look.

Not bad. I was at advanced auto last night and in their clearance section I found their brand oil different viscosity for $4.29 per quart. Great for the lawn mower and such. I bought it all (20 quarts of 30w, 10w30/40 20w50) Deals can be had - you just have to look.

I will only run Penn grade 10-30 in my race car.

I will only run Penn grade 10-30 in my race car.
I get it. I have my brand for the cars also. Just an avenue to mention the deals for lawn mower oil - most oils starts at $8 per quart and lawnmowers seem to like it - a lot. I’m too cheap to buy a new mower. lol!

I get it. I have my brand for the cars also. Just an avenue to mention the deals for lawn mower oil - most oils starts at $8 per quart and lawnmowers seem to like it - a lot. I’m too cheap to buy a new mower. lol!

I have a special oil I like for my dodge diesel but for everything else I buy Walmart brand.

Napa has their brand oil on sale this month, $3.29 a quart. I'm heading down to grab 1/2 dozen cases or so.
I have enough VR1 flavors for this decade, grabbed a bunch off Amazon several years ago.

I have a 9 quart pan, that's a great price.
Last time I bought vr1 and a filter it was over $120.00

I ran 10w30 in my race motor for years, then I was told by BES in Indiana that I should be running 10w40. I'm trying Lucas hot rod oil 10w40 on my current build. It's cheaper than racing oil and has a very high zinc content. It's on about the 4th oil change and so far things are looking good. I'm at least a season away from a refresh, we'll see how things look when I open it up again.

All my lawnmowers get my cleanest gallon of used oil Valvoline Racing oil. lol Only my snowblower gets new stuff. You obviously haven't seen my pristine mowers.

My Dad used my used Brad Penn oil for years in his cars when I lived at home. Mopars, Lincoln Continental, motor home, they all loved used Brad Penn.

Don't know if it is still a Pennsylvania company, Brad Penn was made in Bradford Pa.
Originally a Kendall refinery. Story goes that 2 Kendall employees bought the plant after Kendall was said to be closing that plant.Talking to one of them at the SEMA show he knew there was a market for performance oil with ZDDP .They took a chance that looks like worked out. Good product.
The green oil.Not to be confused with the meaning of now a days GREEN.

I used Brad Penn for many years as my engine builder recommended it and was a dealer. I had good luck with it. He does a lot of research and found that Brad Penn was sold a few years ago and the new owners changed the name to Penn Grade and were skimping on some of the additives to the point that he no longer sells it or recommends it . He recommended using Driven GP 1 10W30 which is basically the same as Brad Penn with the additives still in , it's even the same color. Just my two cents as I know there are a lot of different opinions on oil... still have the " swag " and a quart left

IMG_0195.jpeg

Last edited:
My brother uses Penn in the Cosworth DFV engines he builds for the vintage Formula 1 cars. And in the other motors. These are spun up to 10k for about 20 hours before a rebuild. (Which you don’t even want to know how much that costs.) when the motors are torn down, most of the time the bearing look brand new. He’s got one in the dyno today. Cosworth BDA which is a 1600, 16 valve twin cam, makes 152 foot pounds and 248 HP. Which is 97ci. So pumping out 2.55 hp per inch. All trusted to 9 dollar a quart Penn grade. And Sometimes to Driven.

My brother uses Penn in the Cosworth DFV engines he builds for the vintage Formula 1 cars. And in the other motors. These are spun up to 10k for about 20 hours before a rebuild. (Which you don’t even want to know how much that costs.) when the motors are torn down, most of the time the bearing look brand new. He’s got one in the dyno today. Cosworth BDA which is a 1600, 16 valve twin cam, makes 152 foot pounds and 248 HP. Which is 97ci. So pumping out 2.55 hp per inch. All trusted to 9 dollar a quart Penn grade. And Sometimes to Driven.
Damn, the little engine that could lol

I use wal mart's "Supertech" ATF+4 trans fluid.

It's easy to find and not terribly expensive.

Finding ATF+4 is not super easy these days.

I use the Lucas 10w-30 in the race cars. If you believe that Zinc is good for a race engine. Lucas racing oil has the highest concentration that you can buy. It's over 3000 ppm. I use 5w-40 Rotella full syn in my Ram diesel.

I use the Lucas 10w-30 in the race cars. If you believe that Zinc is good for a race engine. Lucas racing oil has the highest concentration that you can buy. It's over 3000 ppm. I use 5w-40 Rotella full syn in my Ram diesel.

I posted a video about this exact thing after I was called a liar and a bunch of other ****.

It’s in the Performance forum. It’s not that long. Worth watching if you want to make power and increase engine life.

-
Back