People not following through on for sale item.

-

prostr340duster

Reaction score
Twice now I’ve thought I sold my x pipe. First person ( autopar3000) tells me he wants it. I tear it apart box it up and give him multiple ways for shipping. I get no response! At least say I’ll pass, can’t afford it or shipping will be to much. I get nothing. Second person ( Tyler 1 ) give him good price and he asked if I was going to Indy then nothing. Again say you don’t want it. I pass other people up out of respect for the one that wanted it then I get screwed. Sorry just venting and tired or dealing with idiots!

I hear you man. Some contact you right away and want it bad, then nothing... I try to sell here first to keep away from ebag but sometimes it's a PITA.

Advice from one who knows - not sold until paid for.

I will hold stuff for a reasonable amount of time when selling online, but I also take notes on the next people in line.

Sometimes the 4th or 5th person gets it, but it has almost always been the 1st, 2nd or 3rd person for me.

that was nice exhaust too...but i could see shipping killing a deal
still, its nice to get a notice if that happens

I have been having that issue for awhile now.
I got annoyed and stopped posting things for sale.
I just mainly let them sit on my shelf and hope they gain value .... someday

The same goes for those who advertised a part for sale. The individual was going to check shipping cost and I agreed to use PayPal to get the funds to him. He said as soon as he had it boxed he would send his PayPal account information. That's been a couple of months now and I get no response from him.

Solution... DEADLINES!!!

Give the buyer a price and a notice that if they don't respond and pay within 72 hours, it's going to next in line.

It separates the wheat from the chaff. Those who want to just stay on the pot, get KICKED off. :)

Sorry to read about this.

Sell it when you can, I had an family incident last week that kept me from closing a deal. Luckily the seller still had the pieces I wanted & I was able to buy them. If the seller had sold them to the next person in line, I would not have been offended. There are some very gracious people on this site, & personally I appreciate all of them...

And I have a box that someone bailed on me from 10+ years ago to remind me regarding my deadlines policy.

I understand that stuff happens, with technology now, unless you are stranded on Gilligans Island or in a hospital ICU/unconscious, there is NO excuse for not communicating.

Unfortunately I cannot get to this site on my phone, I get the cast off phones from my wife & grand kids... I tried to get on FABO once when I was out of town & it screwed up my phone for weeks. I have no idea what happened, but was pleased that I was able to get back to this great site once I was back home at my ancient computer.

CB, I didn't think you were taking a shot at me. I was just trying to educate some of the younger generation, that some of us old farts don't have the latest & greatest electronic devices.

Regardless, people have the right to buy and sell to whomever they want. Although it is common courtesy to communicate.........a lot of people don't.

Had it happen once or twice.

Had a set of bucket seats for sale. One guy within an hour away asked for multiple angle pics, liked the price, had it all set up to drive and get them, then nothing.

Never heard from his again and I think he hasn't been active on the site since.

Oh, well, I gave them to a friend who needed them for his Duster.

It's been happening with me more often than i would like it to.
Twice last week, i got e mails from "buyers" that tell me i want it, gotta have it, need it, and what's your Pay Pal address.
Send it over to them, in the next e mail, then never hear from them again.
Dunno.
Why it's been getting worse, and worse (in my opinion, anyway) these days.

To all sellers, please keep the faith! I have been the victim of reverse sales discrimination where a seller is often offended if i ask questions, ask if the item is still for sale, etc. A few weeks ago I was interested in an expensive item on Clist, and I made an inquiry about it. The seller was truly offended by the fact I asked if it was still for sale ( ad was a week old ) and I asked about the condition ( the pic was obviously take during the summer/fall - approx 4-6 months earlier ). I asked if i could come see it the following weekend ( 2 days from that day ). The seller told me - its the same as in the picture, why do you want to look at it? Its the same condition.
I told him I would have cash with me and I wanted to verify/inspect the item. The seller said he would call me back later that day. After not hearing back, I left him 2 messages that day, and another the following morning. Never heard back from him.
I understand that there are deadbeat buyers out there, but there are some of us who mean what we say , and men of our words. Last year I bought a cowl and radiator support from a member here. I understand that I that I had very few messages posted and little interaction on this board and that alone might be a red flag. I kept in contact with the gentlemen all the way to the end to prove I was a worthy buyer. In the end i was well pleased with my purchase and I hope he was pleased with the transaction as well.
In the end, there are people you can trust. I think the best thing us buyer's ( or seller's ) can do is communicate in any way possible and keep those lines open.
Please don't let the bad agave's out there spoil the tequila. Or something like that.

-
Back