Performance cam

-

CESAR

Reaction score
I have a Duster 1974 and it has a performance cam and gets a really poor MPG of only 6.5 MPG. I want to have the cam replaced and I was hopping that someone may know of a place somewhat near me that can handle this type of a job. Yes and it does have a Holly 600. The cam is a Vodo.
Help
Thank you
Rick
Located in central NJ right out side of Trenton

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the cam. Can you tell us about the rest of the car?

Thank you for replying this is my first time. Its a Duster 1974 with a 318 engine. It has a new Lunati voodoo cam 220 duration with 475 lift with new lifters, new push rods new rocker arms and new shaft. transmission 904 rebuilt with shift kit and new converter. Automatic. This was all done by the old owner.
Rick

what rear gear ratio what rpm does converter lock?

Yea, the cam isn't your issue! Take the car to a reputable mechanic and have them tune it! Or atleast check your timing and pull some plugs and read 'em! Definately don't waste time changing cams! That's a nice cam that's in it and well matched for a nice. 318 street engine. It's all about engine efficiency...and tuning it razor sharp...fuel economy will follow

I'm about one hour north of you. That cam isn't all that big for the motor. What is your rear gear? How does the motor run??? What shape is the motor in? Tell us more about the set up, it is probably way out of tune. You should be getting around 12 - 15 mpg.

That I don't know how can I find that out?

I thank you all for your suggestion and I'm going to look further into what you said instead of changing that cam.
Yes the car rides and sounds good.
If someone knows of a good mechanic in my area please let me know.
Thank you
Rick

Is the vacuum advance hooked up and functioning? A blown power valve would cause this...

Research tuning here... Start with checking and setting the timing and timing curves. Then move to the carb and carb tuning. If you're owning it, and driving it, you should probably know how it all works.

-
Back