Performer RPM Air-Gap + Holley 750 + 4" air cleaner = Stock hood clearance?

-

Beatnik

Reaction score
I'm thinking about upgrading my Torker & 650 DP to an Air-Gap and 750 DP. I currently have a 4" K&N filter and Xtreme lid w/ no hood issues. I dont know how much room to spare I do have though.

Anyone running an Air-Gap under their stock hood? If so how how tall of an air cleaner can you run w/ no issues?

Thanks!

It'll fit, it's shorter. Go to the Edel. web site and find out the intake heights.

The air gap is at least 1-1 1/2 inches taller on its own.

I did squeeze an RPM manifold under a stock 73 Duster hood with a 3" drop base air cleaner.

Check your hood clearance with Play-doh or modeling clay.

According to the Edelbrock.com web site, when you go to the intake page for small block Chyslers, the listed intake heights for measurements A & B are

RPM and RPM A-ir-Gap............TorkerII

............4.9 - 5.8.................5.25 - 6.19

They go on to say add the 2 numbers and divide by 2 for manifold height.

RPM...........4.9 + 5.8 = 10.7 /2 = 5.35 in height
Torker II ....5.25 + 6.19 = 11.42 = 5.72 in height

You gain .37 clearance

This is a pic of my 69 Dart 360 with Air-Gap intake and Edelbrock Carb. I used a shorter filter than before and went with a lid filter as well to make up for it.

I had to raise my engine up almost 1/2" to make the TTI headers clear everything which constrained things a bit more then they might in your case.
It all fit with about 1/4" to spare... solid motor mounts are a good thing in this case.

dart1.jpg

Guys- Thanks for all the great info...it's all good to know. I think I'll give it the Pla-Doh test and see where my baseline is and go from there.

1 question I do have. I currently run Hooker Super Comp's and would like to switch to TTI headers. Will I have to raise my engine 1/2"? How come? Also, why run solid motor mounts?

Thanks!

According to the Edelbrock.com web site, when you go to the intake page for small block Chyslers, the listed intake heights for measurements A & B are

RPM and RPM A-ir-Gap............TorkerII

............4.9 - 5.8.................5.25 - 6.19

They go on to say add the 2 numbers and divide by 2 for manifold height.

RPM...........4.9 + 5.8 = 10.7 /2 = 5.35 in height
Torker II ....5.25 + 6.19 = 11.42 = 5.72 in height

You gain .37 clearance

Rumble, you are totally right on this one. I got them backwards.

Wow - I thought I was the only one with TTI clearence issues. Yes - mine hit the tie-rod linkage and I wound up shimming the passenger side motor mount ~ 1/4 inch.

Thrash....It happens.

Beatnik, The solid motor mounts do not rip apart, but they do transmit vibrations alot. I'm not up to snuff on clearance issues with tti headers, but if you ask them or get answered here, they also make a mount, stock sandwich style that won't rip in half.

Kory, how did you go about "Shimming" the engine up?

As with KoryLiss I was having clearance issues with the Center-Link to Tie Rod end joint hitting a header tube. I took a piece of 1/4" and 1/8" steel and cut a slit down the center part way and placed it underneath the motor mount on the pass side and put about 1/4" on the drivers side.

I just mentioned the solid motor mounts because the rubber ones have enough flex in them that if your air cleaner doesn't hit just sitting there it might when you get on it from the torque of the engine. Solid mounts don't isolate the engine as well from the frame and it is possible to feel slightly more vibration, in my case I didn't notice though.

rumblefish360

Exactly as 1969Swinger described ... here is a picture of one of the spacers that slips in above the motor mount bolt

Kory

100_3393 (Small).JPG

100_3394 (Small).JPG

-
Back