Permanent cowl cleanouts?

-
I am glad others are wrestling with this issue also.

I have been debating how to deal with the pine straw there before I prime and put POR-15 in that area. A panel would th a foam gasket and held in by 6 or 8 cam-loks (zeus fasteners) has crossed my mind.

I even considered cutting out the vent completely and just welding it up with solid sheet metal to keep it clean.

Your thoughts?

There was a thread floating around where a member had removed the cowl vents and welded in sheet metal for the clean look as you mentioned. Looked real good!!!

I couldn't find the thread to post, but if I do find it I'll provide a link.

I got the inside of my cowl painted yesterday. I used Eastwoods internal frame coating.
Eastwood Internal Frame Coating 14oz Aerosol
Prior to painting I ran a camera system up through the cowl to inspect it for cleanliness and to check for damage....looked perfect. Steel Dragon Tools® Model 710DN Pipe Inspection Camera with DVR and 130 FT Cable | eBay
From what I can see the eastwood product did an excellent job. I will run the camera back through in a few days to see if it missed any spots. I used two cans for the cowl.
Btw, I decided not to cut any extra access holes. I was able to go in through the many small holes with the eastwood wand.

I'm a big fan of that Eastwood paint, glad you had positive results.

Very interesting. Rather like the Cowl Induction on GM cars. The cowl area is a high pressure area, isn't it? Wouldn't that be like adding a teeny bit of boost?

In my case, the motor really liked the addition of this cowl induction air cleaner. It flowed a lot more than the old one too though, as I have tight hood clearance. Here's a pic of what I had before the cowl fed air cleaner, and after.

If I open the air vent while driving, there is a definite high pressure air blast from the vents even at 20 mph. On the freeway, that has to be pressurizing my induction and increasing power slightly, especially when the vents are closed.

The sound from the intake roar when the vents are open is awesome, my grandsons love it and crack up every time when I punch it with the air vents open.

eng2 (Large).png

Airbox1.JPG

-
Back