Permanent vent window mod?

-

txstang84

Reaction score
Hey, have any of you guys ever thought about permanently sealing your vent windows? By that, I don't simply mean drenching them in RTV or butyl rope, I mean modifying the window frame and glass to never open and be sealed by a flush rubber gasket that won't leak.

I just installed new seals in these a few months ago thinking the wind noise and air leakage would drop a little, but it didn't do much good. They're not shrunk up like the originals, but they still leak and it's irritating...and after seeing mods in others' resto threads like drip rail elimination, I figured the idea might work. I've looked around for 73-up doors as that would also meet my goal and be arguably simpler, but it seems everywhere I look, the doors are either chewed up with rust, missing all guts, or prohibitively expensive (or some combination thereof).

Any constructive ideas are welcome...thanks.

Jeff

If you crack them open slightly, most of the wind noise goes away.

Yeah most dont realize that a properly sealed cabin wont have a whole lot of wind noise. A bad trunk lid seal can cause wind noise around doors and their glasses. If air isn't being vacuumed from the trunk, air isn't pulled in everywhere else. Hope this makes sense.

I thought about removing mine when i had my vent windows out for painting. I really liked the look, but wasn't able to conjure up any ideas about how to achieve this even though i have a background in auto glass.
The regulators and such from a hardtop would work as replacements but the actual glass from a hardtop wouldn't. glass would have to be custom made which is big $$$.

Attachments

• 029_1.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 281
My Duster doesn't have the vent window but in my old trucks I always used two quarters and a couple nickels...

get a later door glass ......73+ darts/scamp didnt have vent windows from the factory. they were not available after 73 ....

so the 73 plus door glass is bigger and fits the contour of the roof and a pillar ...the only problem with this idea is the mounting holes on the bottom of the glass to the reglator

you might have make a custom regulator to mix and match the the early window crank position to the later glass mounting hardware

your answer is in a 73+ dart/scamp door

I HATE the newer cars without vent windows.........................

2645785843_5c81513537_z.jpg

hate-image2.jpg

if you need some really rust free 73+ doors i have a pair but im in south eastern colorado

the problem you have in putting a later door on your car the the upper frame is different ...

so you would be better off modifying a ragulator to accept the later glass in early door

get a later door glass ......73+ darts/scamp didnt have vent windows from the factory. they were not available after 73 ....

so the 73 plus door glass is bigger and fits the contour of the roof and a pillar ...the only problem with this idea is the mounting holes on the bottom of the glass to the reglator

you might have make a custom regulator to mix and match the the early window crank position to the later glass mounting hardware

your answer is in a 73+ dart/scamp door

Yeah, I made reference to this...but as mentioned most of the time they're rotted, missing parts, too expensive or some combination...and in your case, too far away to be financially advantageous for me to purchase and have them shipped. I greatly appreciate the offer though! And thank you for the info...I may yet go that direction, but I'm looking at options.

If you crack them open slightly, most of the wind noise goes away.

True to an extent, and then if it's wet outside, it pulls in water...kinda defeats the purpose of what I'm attempting to stave off.

Yeah most dont realize that a properly sealed cabin wont have a whole lot of wind noise. A bad trunk lid seal can cause wind noise around doors and their glasses. If air isn't being vacuumed from the trunk, air isn't pulled in everywhere else. Hope this makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, but all the rubber minus the windshield and back glass gaskets have been replaced...to include the trunk. Regardless, I don't use the vent windows...if I want outside air, I just open the floor vents and it moves plenty of air around the cabin. Thanks!

I thought about removing mine when i had my vent windows out for painting. I really liked the look, but wasn't able to conjure up any ideas about how to achieve this even though i have a background in auto glass.
The regulators and such from a hardtop would work as replacements but the actual glass from a hardtop wouldn't. glass would have to be custom made which is big $$$.

Yeah, I kinda figured...

It was meant as a joke. The dog is ME. I don't have a dog, LOL

post up a wanted ad-- you never know what $$ you could get them for -- I just scrapped clean doors from a 73 dart sport & 74 duster (had regulators also)-- tired of looking at them in the back yard-- no takers/offers. Lawrence

Oooo Wee! Panties in a wad.

The vent window is the un-a/c cars saving grace in the summer.

post up a wanted ad-- you never know what $$ you could get them for -- I just scrapped clean doors from a 73 dart sport & 74 duster (had regulators also)-- tired of looking at them in the back yard-- no takers/offers. Lawrence

Damn the luck...it's almost pointless to do it now since I'm about to leave town for a few years, but I might be able to talk my Dad into it while I'm gone

glass would have to be custom made which is big $$$.
isn't the side glass on those cars perfectly flat? I'm pretty sure it was on my scamp- not too hard to make a new one out of AS1.
I made lots of windows for old trucks and cars in my days as a glazier. The difference I guess is that the older (40s-50s) vehicles generally used tracks that the glass sat in- so the bottom edge was just flat rather than having a bunch of holes drilled in it and an odd shape...

-
Back