Pertonix Distributor Hookup??

-

SD65WAGON

Justin
Reaction score
Just Got A Pertronix Distributor For The Wagon And Am Wondering How To Hook It Up....specifically If I Use The Balast Resistor That The Stock Single Point Distributor Is Connected Through Or Not..........if Anyone Has One Hooked Up And Can Post Pics And Good Directions I Would Really Appreciate It, Just Never Done One And Like Anything Else Once Do Do It Its Easy, But I Havent Done One Yet. Thanks.

The Ignitor I had used the ballast resistor. Some of their models don't, though. What part number is yours?

Its an ignitor....I am just wondering what the difference in performance is going to the ballast resistor or to just the coil. The directions show 3 ways of hooking it up..What is the best and preferred way and why??Thanks again.

The stock ballast resister is there to protect the stock coil which is not designed for constant 12 volts. The stock coil would overheat. If your replacing the coil too you may not need the ballast resister, depending on what coil you use.

I havent purchased a coil to go with the ignitor set up yet, I was'nt aware I needed to, so thats more good info. Any suggestions on the complete set up would bee helpful in the replacement of the stock single point to the pertronix. Thanks.

The stock coil and ballast resister will work.

I put the same distributor in my 383, I used the stock coil but removed the resistor and connected the wires. It was a super easy install..

Just Got A Pertronix Distributor For The Wagon And Am Wondering How To Hook It Up....specifically If I Use The Balast Resistor That The Stock Single Point Distributor Is Connected Through Or Not..........if Anyone Has One Hooked Up And Can Post Pics And Good Directions I Would Really Appreciate It, Just Never Done One And Like Anything Else Once Do Do It Its Easy, But I Havent Done One Yet. Thanks.

Just got finished installing the distributor with the pertronix.....just hooked it to the stock coil and left the ballast resistor in line as it was. The wagon runs ALOT better.........for now. Hopefully there wont be any issues...much smoother and responsive with it and timing set @10 degrees BTC. Please feel free to let me know if I should change anything or if I missed something.Thanks to everyone for the input.

I recently purchased a new coil and went for the HIGH PERFORMANCE coil, and that unit had a note on it saying, "For use with an external resistor" (which is also true for the stock coils).
This leads me to believe that there are coils with internal resistors, possibly what you need. Can someone verify?

Internal resistor coils are very rare - I've only seen them in the VW world.

If it runs good with the ballast installed I would leave it that way. Is there anywhere in the instructions that tells the operating voltage of the Pertronix?
(ie, 8-14v.) The ballast resistor is in 12 volt ignition systems with points. It drops the voltage to the points to prevent arcing and makes the points last a lot longer. Years ago when vehicles had 6 volt electrical systems they didn't need ballast resistors. 6 volts of electricity isn't strong enough to cause points to spark much. Coils for resistor systems are made differently inside to operate
with lower input voltage. Bottom line, If the Pertronix unit will trigger at lower voltage leave the ballast in. I installed a Igniter in my neighbors mid 70's Ford
and I left the resistor in (as per instructions) and it works fine. Sounds like you're on the right track.
toolmanmike

What motor is in your wagon?

Points ign is definitely worth an upgrade. I did my Dart,and it was like night and day. It used to not start some of the time (bad internal ground on dist) and I swapped in a stock mopar elec ign.What a difference!
Milage,power,idle,all improved!

You make a good case for an upgrade. I'm not a purist, so I don't care if I keep my car "original"- I just want/need it to work. I believe I'm sold on the electronic upgrade now that I have heard the whole list of benefits (other than not having to deal with points etc ever again).
I have a Dart 270 (1964) that is just a transportation vehicle, (not a hotrod).
Any suggestions as to what brand/model upgrade kit to get?
Are there other parts I will need to get (like a voltage regulator or... ???)

Motor is a 1967 273 2 barrel...........

What motor is in your wagon?

Points ign is definitely worth an upgrade. I did my Dart,and it was like night and day. It used to not start some of the time (bad internal ground on dist) and I swapped in a stock mopar elec ign.What a difference!
Milage,power,idle,all improved!

You make a good case for an upgrade. I'm not a purist, so I don't care if I keep my car "original"- I just want/need it to work. I believe I'm sold on the electronic upgrade now that I have heard the whole list of benefits (other than not having to deal with points etc ever again).
I have a Dart 270 (1964) that is just a transportation vehicle, (not a hotrod).
Any suggestions as to what brand/model upgrade kit to get?
Are there other parts I will need to get (like a voltage regulator or... ???)

I'm not entirely sure you really need to get the voltage regulator changed out for the Mopar electronic ignition. I've managed to run an EFI system on my Dart on the stock, 40 year old, points type voltage regulator. I'm not sure if Mopar ignitions might have false trigger issues if the voltage isn't steady enough, or if it's not really needed.

There's three basic cheap upgrade paths for Mopars if you're looking for a basic and functional electronic ignition.

1. Pertronix. Pros - you keep your distributor, it's fairly cheap, and it's the least time to install. Cons - while they last pretty well, parts shops don't stock replacement items so you'd have to special order these.

2. Mopar electronic distributor + stock Mopar box. Pros - keeps it all Mopar, replacement parts are easy to find. Cons - most expensive choice, quality of recent Orange Boxes seems to be down.

3. Mopar electronic distributor + HEI ignition module. Pros - fairly cheap, reliable, probably the most powerful spark of these choices, and parts are easy to find. Cons - not "in the family," a bit more work than the Ignitor.

I've used Pertronix and HEI ignitions and been pleased with the results on both, haven't tried the all Mopar version.

-
Back