Pertronic Ignitor in a Prestolite Dual Point?

-

694spd

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to reinstall the original Prestolite dual point in my 69 340 GTS. I have been thinking of converting the dual point to a Pertronic Ignitor in order to keep the factory look. Can anyone tell me what the Pertronic part number is for the small block dual point distributor? I have only seen one listed for the big block dual point.

I'm getting ready to reinstall the original Prestolite dual point in my 69 340 GTS. I have been thinking of converting the dual point to a Pertronic Ignitor in order to keep the factory look. Can anyone tell me what the Pertronic part number is for the small block dual point distributor? I have only seen one listed for the big block dual point.
you can go to the site, and find it, I did. I don't blame you for having a hard time. I looked on the summit site, and looked thru like 50 pages of apps and didn't find it. I think I had to download pertronix catalog to find it. I believe it was listed under 70 340 6pak. I'm working on a mobile only, so that may make it tougher, I dunno. I think I may have copied it down. I'll look, if I find it I'll post it for you.

Last edited:
ignitor 1 = #1384
ignitor 2 = #91384

Here's one in my HP273 distributor. Although both small block dual points, the 273 and 340 distributors take different points and Pertronix kits. Does your distributor have a tag? The distributor number will get you the correct one.
Mopar Nats 11 007.JPG

I have a Gen I 392 cast iron dual point and they even have a kit fir it

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my Pertronix Ignitor today. Part # 1384. I ordered one from Jegs. The dual point Prestolite distributor that I have is part #2875782

Well things are already not going too good on this. I went to install the Pertronix Ignitor and the darn thing does not fit right. First off the two raised nubs that are on either side of the condenser hold down screw are a little too large for the holes in the Ignitor base. I could enlarge the holes a little, but to hate to have to modify a new part. Even if I opened up the two holes in the base of the Ignitor so that it will sit flush with the distributor beaker plate. I still have another alignment problem. The other mounting screw hole in the Ignitor base on the right side does not align up with the threaded hole in the breaker plate. See arrows in photo.

100_4325.JPG

100_4326.JPG

Well I just called Pertronix Tech line and it sounds like I ordered the wrong unit. They said that my distributor takes the #1383 not the #1384 one that I ordered.

Well I just called Pertronix Tech line and it sounds like I ordered the wrong unit. They said that my distributor takes the #1383 not the #1384 one that I ordered.
I am surprised there is that much difference from 69 to 70 SB dual points. Sorry, I steered you wrong. I guess Toolmanmike had it right, order by dist. number.

I called Jegs and they are going to send me a return shipping label so I can exchange it for the #1383.
When you check the on line applications on Summit and Jegs. They list the one I bought as for "Chrysler 69-73 340". I wondering if that is the one for the Chrysler aluminum distributor? The one that the Pertronix Tech said to order for my Prestolite distributor (the #1343 one) is listed for a 1951-58 Chrysler distributor. Strange?
I gave the tech both the Chrysler number (2875782) and the Prestolite number (IBS-4015B) that are stamped on the metal tag. I wondering if the issue is because of the two different distributors that were used back then and that they are not being clear on the application between the two.

rustycowll69, I'm not blaming you for the wrong part number. They seems to be a lot of confusion on which one to buy. This week has not gone to good for me as I have had several other issues I have run up against trying to finish my car. I'm about 95% done, but it's that last 5% that has slowed be down to a crawl.

I called Jegs and they are going to send me a return shipping label so I can exchange it for the #1383.
When you check the on line applications on Summit and Jegs. They list the one I bought as for "Chrysler 69-73 340". I wondering if that is the one for the Chrysler aluminum distributor? The one that the Pertronix Tech said to order for my Prestolite distributor (the #1343 one) is listed for a 1951-58 Chrysler distributor. Strange?
I gave the tech both the Chrysler number (2875782) and the Prestolite number (IBS-4015B) that are stamped on the metal tag. I wondering if the issue is because of the two different distributors that were used back then and that they are not being clear on the application between the two.

rustycowll69, I'm not blaming you for the wrong part number. They seems to be a lot of confusion on which one to buy. This week has not gone to good for me as I have had several other issues I have run up against trying to finish my car. I'm about 95% done, but it's that last 5% that has slowed be down to a crawl.
thanks. my aar (340 6bbl) came with the Prestolite cast iron dual point oem. when I order my Pertronix, I think I'll run it by the tech line, and give them the numbers off the dist. to make sure I'm going to get the correct one.

The last 5% seems like it takes as much time as the first 95%.

thanks. my aar (340 6bbl) came with the Prestolite cast iron dual point oem. when I order my Pertronix, I think I'll run it by the tech line, and give them the numbers off the dist. to make sure I'm going to get the correct one.

I had a AAR that I sold just 4 months ago. I owned it for 35 years. I removed the dual point distributor right after I bought it and installed the Direct Connection electronic conversion package. The original dual point just sat on the shelf all that time. I gave it to the buyer when he picked up the car. If I still had it then I would have tried to see if the Pertronix fit that distributor.
I also have a 1970 340-4 Prestolite distributor on the shelf. Earlier today I tried the Pertronix in that distributor, but found that it had the same fitting issues that my 1969 distributor had.

Last edited:
I sold my AAR 4 months ago. I owned it for 35 years. I removed the dual point distributor right after I bought it and installed the Direct Connection electronic conversion package. The original dual point just sat on the shelf all that time. I gave it to the buyer when he picked up the car. If I still had it then I would have tried to see if the Pertronix fit that distributor.
I also have a 1970 340-4 Prestolite distributor on the shelf. Earlier today I tried the Pertronix in that distributor, but found that it had the same fitting issues that my 1969 distributor had.
huh!

I finally got my replacement Pertronix Ignitor #1383 from Jegs. Well I went to install it and I have another fit problem. This one will fit over the raised nubs that were used for mounting the condenser, but the other mounting hole is misaligned. I called pertronix and they asked me to send them some pictures of the problem. I now waiting for their reply to my email.

100_4363.JPG

I finally got my replacement Pertronix Ignitor #1383 from Jegs. Well I went to install it and I have another fit problem. This one will fit over the raised nubs that were used for mounting the condenser, but the other mounting hole is misaligned. I called pertronix and they asked me to send them some pictures of the problem. I now waiting for their reply to my email.

View attachment 1715085780
I don't understand what can be so different from year to year on these distributors. I would think all SB dual points advance plates are the same. So one number app should fit them all. But if it's logical or reasonable, it doesn't often apply in the real world, I guess.

I see that Toolmanmike used the same Ignitor # 1383 in his Prestolite distributor from his 273. There must be a difference in the breaker plates between the 340 and 273 distributors.

Well I have finally given up on Pertronix. I have been emailing photos of my distributor to them explaining the mounting problem that I'm having and there fix is to file out the mounting holes in the base of the module until it fits. I replied back to them saying that I would give it a try, but then I thought that if there is further problems with the unit then I will not be able to return it to Jegs.
I just called Jegs and they are going to let me return it for a full refund. I guess the points will be going back into my Prestolite for now.

Last edited:
I’m going to bump this thread back up and see if others have something to add. I rebuilt the Prestolite in GTS and it worked great for a while but the points closed up so I’m looking for any updates that people have had using a pertronix in the cast iron Prestolite dual point distributor.

Thanks,
Cliff Ramsdell

Try the site with your distributor number. Yeras ago I did that with the dula point in my 273 and I kept getting the wrong Igniter. I finally contacted them and sent my distributor out to them and they found the right one. (for al late 50's Hemi distributor)

I think it's easy to assume with the amount of available options listed on the Pertronix website that any distributor is a slam dunk as far as finding a proper kit. (I think I even saw a kit for a dual distributor v12 something or another).I have an old Mallory dual point that is pretty common in the older hot rod circles. This is true unless you end up with an oddball for a Buick nailhead. Not sure about the Mopar part #'s but every #, letter, and exclamation point can make a big difference! For example my distributor is a 292D which designates vacuum advance. I ordered a kit for a 292F and it wasn't even close.

-
Back