Pertronix Flamethrower II question

-

cam.man67

Reaction score
So I just got a Flamethrower II in the mail to test out in my car. I thought I was getting the 40,000v version, looks like this one is 45,000v. Is that going to be too hot for my points setup? I just replaced the points and don't want to get rid of them, but I'm just concerned because it doesn't say that it's recommended for points. Any thoughts?

I recall the factory coil is claimed 30,000 V. The voltage is more a max capability. The actual operating voltage is whatever it takes to make the spark jump the gap, which greatly increases at higher cylinder pressure (open throttle) and lower gas temperature. My guess is it would work fine with points. Personally, I wouldn't fool with points, once you see the spark from an HEI ignition. Double that on a slant where getting at the points is tough and messy.

Darn...called the Pertronix rep, doesn't look like it will work with my points. So...if anyone wants it, pm me. I'll give you a fair price on it. :)

I think it may have more to do with the low primary resistance.....maybe too much load on the points.

Its P/n 45011, and yeah, the rep said that it was most likely too few ohms for it to work properly in my points setup.

Who did you buy it from? They won't let you exchange for the proper one?

-
Back