Pertronix out...points in...bummer

-
Pertronix systems are sensitive. They rely on a very good distributor with no radial play and very minimal thrust play. If the distributor is old and worn, a Pertronix is often used as a band-aid to fix a points system that has more than just a breaker failure that goes ignored.

I just replaced the Pertronix in a '69 Charger SE 383 car that the owner didn't want to have a very visible modification performed. His car came in with a misfire, wiped the sensitive reluctor/ igniter on shaft play on the Pertronix that ate itself in a year. We rebuilt the entire distributor and installed a new igniter, no more end play and it works perfectly. Breaker points systems are harder on shafts than inductive ignition, because of the eccentric running on the shaft. It creates vibration, which has more radial wear on the dist.

Pertronix systems are sensitive. They rely on a very good distributor with no radial play and very minimal thrust play. If the distributor is old and worn, a Pertronix is often used as a band-aid to fix a points system that has more than just a breaker failure that goes ignored.

I just replaced the Pertronix in a '69 Charger SE 383 car that the owner didn't want to have a very visible modification performed. His car came in with a misfire, wiped the sensitive reluctor/ igniter on shaft play on the Pertronix that ate itself in a year. We rebuilt the entire distributor and installed a new igniter, no more end play and it works perfectly. Breaker points systems are harder on shafts than inductive ignition, because of the eccentric running on the shaft. It creates vibration, which has more radial wear on the dist.

Thanks...I didn't check end play. thereis no perceivable radial play.

I've used Pertronix on a few cars and never had a problem. What I like best is that I take the condenser, points and put them in a little bag and have them in the glove box. That way if it fails I just stick the points back in to get me home. You can't do that with the stock electronic ignition unless keep a backup of all those parts in your car.

I've used Pertronix on a few cars and never had a problem. What I like best is that I take the condenser, points and put them in a little bag and have them in the glove box. That way if it fails I just stick the points back in to get me home. You can't do that with the stock electronic ignition unless keep a backup of all those parts in your car.

My plan is similar, except I'm keeping a whole ready to go distributor with me. It'll be faster to swap.

Another alternative is the Crane XR700 kit. I had one in my 69 slant and 65 BB for years. Like Pertronix, it installs in the points distributor, so you could swap the points back in for a failure. The box in my BB finally failed after 20 years. I had a set of points, but also had a spare Crane box (thanks ebay), which I swapped in and was back on the road fast. You can find them cheap today on ebay. It uses an optical wheel, which is insensitive to radial play in the distributor. Like the Mopar ECU, it requires the ballast and isn't the latest electronic design.

I think the old "new" corvettes used an optical ignition. The shutter wheel looked different, LOTS of small curved windows, maybe 36-1? You can swap a points dizzy in bout 10 minutes if you got another, Just get that wacky distributor wrench and drop in new one. same cap. you could even put a plug on the necessary wires.

-
Back